Your question
Closed

World of Warcraft AMD 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 10:14:22 PM

Hello,

I have purchased a 7970 for my system along with a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Basically, I built a whole new system. When playing World of Warcraft on Ultra setting 1920 x 1080 resolution with AA x8 and AMD CC settings to default I experience horrible frames per second. When lowing the AA to x1 or x2 the frames per second are around 60 - 100 depending on the environment. My system specs are at the link below. Any idea of what the issue may be?

http://12tronics.com/index.php?/topic/507-phantom-of-th...

Thanks,
Joel Howard
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 10:18:49 PM

When I had my 7870 WoW ran at 20~40 fps on HIGH O_O (ended up RMAing the card, for another reason) Got a Msi 660ti and now on ULTRA AAx16 it runs at 100-130 fps! I don't get it, but its probably the AMD drivers. Try downloading the new 12.11 beta drivers, they fix a lot of issues!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 10:31:44 PM

Actually for WoW nvidia cards seem to run better so if your only concern is for WOW then it actually maybe better to get a 670 (though a 680 is closer to 7970 but in my opinon not worth the extra cost). Also note a 660ti is actually on the same tier as a 7950 that being said again nvidia runs wow better.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-rev... (note 12.11 may improve things in wow don't for to install cap 2 drivers too)
Score
Related resources
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 10:47:00 PM

7970 is faster than all of the above,

Score
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 11:05:14 PM

The 7970 is faster, but Amd drivers suck :( 
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 11:06:00 PM

theyre alright, ever since ati got bought by amd, quality has slump in hardware and software.

Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 11:16:27 PM

I understand that Nvidia may offer better performance for same games just like AMD does as well. But that doesn't answer question! haha, Should my system be able to play World of Warcraft with AA x8 without an issue?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have already purchased the card and play other games that do benefit from the AMD architecture.
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 11:27:12 PM

yes, easily, 7970 is faster than the gtx 680, world of warcraft can be run with a lesser card with those settings, ur card is fast
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 11:43:43 PM

yamahahornist said:
The 7970 is faster, but Amd drivers suck :( 

lol are you kidding they have been putting out better drivers than Nvidia as of late!!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 12:15:03 AM

jkhoward said:
I understand that Nvidia may offer better performance for same games just like AMD does as well. But that doesn't answer question! haha, Should my system be able to play World of Warcraft with AA x8 without an issue?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have already purchased the card and play other games that do benefit from the AMD architecture.

I don't play WoW, but I've read it favors Nvidia's architecture (or maybe Nvidia optimizes for it). I'm surprised you're having any issues at all, though. I've played The Old Republic on max settings at 1920x1200 using only one of my 5850s for +40fps... and it's a little bit nicer-looking game. I can't speak specifically about WoW and a 7970, but it does seem strange to me you're having fps issues.

If you are having issues, maybe try turning down the AA a bit. I have a fairly large monitor for its resolution (27.5"), and even then moving from x4 AA to x8 is the point where I don't notice improvement in jaggies.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 3:08:04 AM

hapkido said:
I don't play WoW, but I've read it favors Nvidia's architecture (or maybe Nvidia optimizes for it). I'm surprised you're having any issues at all, though. I've played The Old Republic on max settings at 1920x1200 using only one of my 5850s for +40fps... and it's a little bit nicer-looking game. I can't speak specifically about WoW and a 7970, but it does seem strange to me you're having fps issues.

If you are having issues, maybe try turning down the AA a bit. I have a fairly large monitor for its resolution (27.5"), and even then moving from x4 AA to x8 is the point where I don't notice improvement in jaggies.

Thanks for the reply. I just realized that the AA is not the problem. The multisampling is the issue. I cant set the multisampling to x1 and x2 but x4 and x8 make the the system unplayable. Would that make more sense? :pt1cable: 
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 3:13:46 AM

u card is strong enought to play in highest of settings, the issue must be somewhere else, unless ur cards highly overheating, do u know what temps ur cards at when gaming?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 2:40:23 PM

iceclock said:
u card is strong enought to play in highest of settings, the issue must be somewhere else, unless ur cards highly overheating, do u know what temps ur cards at when gaming?

That is exactly what I was thinking. My card does not reach 75C with a full load. I do have the graphics card overclocked but once again it does not go over 75C and I have ran multiple stress test on the card for more than an hour. I was doing some testing with the in-game graphics and Catalyst Control Center settings and was not able to increase the FPS. I found a sweet spot in WoW where the game looks good to me at least and I get a solid 60 FPS with VSYNC enabled but on ultra settings with x4 and x8 multi sampling the game is unplayable. I also have my CPU overclocked to 3.6GHz with my Asrock motherboard, also stable for multiple hours.
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 2:46:12 PM

may i suggest uninstalling the drivers, using driver sweeper, than doing a clean install of the latest drivers, also run a scandisk check to correct any hard-drive errors, and defragment ur hard-drive, possibly a clean install of wow could fix problems if theres corrupted files,

also whats the temperatures of the rest of ur pc? thanks
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 2:53:42 PM

Are you running any addons? In what zones do you get horrific performance?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 2:58:53 PM

iceclock said:
may i suggest uninstalling the drivers, using driver sweeper, than doing a clean install of the latest drivers, also run a scandisk check to correct any hard-drive errors, and defragment ur hard-drive, possibly a clean install of wow could fix problems if theres corrupted files,

also whats the temperatures of the rest of ur pc? thanks

I run WoW off of an SSD. My other system hardware do not go higher then 55C full load for more than an hour. I just re installed WoW about 2 weeks ago with the latest patches and files.

I do not run any addons. The new MoP areas are the worst. With x8 in or x4 in those areas my system gets 5 - 10 FPS where it gets 60FPS stable with x2 or x1.

EDIT: I can try re installing the drivers again but I have already done this about a month ago when trying out the 12.11 beta drivers and found myself crashing on multiple games left and right.
Score
January 8, 2013 3:03:20 PM

Honestly man, get your hands on a nvidia card just to try it. Go to best buy and return it if you have too, im betting it solves your issues. WoW loves nvidia cards.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 3:05:24 PM

jkhoward said:
I do not run any addons. The new MoP areas are the worst. With x8 in or x4 in those areas my system gets 5 - 10 FPS where it gets 60FPS stable with x2 or x1.

Did you modify any settings in Catalyst Control Center? Is this new installation of the game? What is your GPU usage during lag?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 3:16:34 PM

I have the CCC settings set to high quality other than the AA settings which causes the game to appear blurry and is a known issue with CCC settings. I did test on all of the other settings one at a time and they did not affect the FPS, they just made it look slightly better.

I did not check the GPU usage at that time. I can sometime tonight and get back to you. But I did check the usage during normal game play and it was around 88% usage.

I do not really want to drop money on another card nor do I have the money to do that at the moment.
Score
January 8, 2013 3:25:20 PM

jkhoward said:
That is exactly what I was thinking. My card does not reach 75C with a full load. I do have the graphics card overclocked but once again it does not go over 75C and I have ran multiple stress test on the card for more than an hour. I was doing some testing with the in-game graphics and Catalyst Control Center settings and was not able to increase the FPS. I found a sweet spot in WoW where the game looks good to me at least and I get a solid 60 FPS with VSYNC enabled but on ultra settings with x4 and x8 multi sampling the game is unplayable. I also have my CPU overclocked to 3.6GHz with my Asrock motherboard, also stable for multiple hours.

Out of curiousity, how does WOW run without the graphics card OC'd? Pushing the OC too high can result in slower performance without crashing (kind of a fine line). GDDR5 ram can put up with some data corruption without crashing but it will hurt your FPS. Passing a stress test doesn't mean WOW is going react the same.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 3:28:19 PM

ibjeepr said:
Out of curiousity, how does WOW run without the graphics card OC'd? Pushing the OC too high can result in slower performance without crashing (kind of a fine line). GDDR5 ram can put up with some data corruption without crashing but it will hurt your FPS. Passing a stress test doesn't mean WOW is going react the same.

I have not tried to run World of Warcraft without the card not overclocked. I did raise the OC 25MHZ higher last nigtht to see how it affect performance and I did get a 2 FPS increase. I have seen that happen before though. I will add that to the list of things to try.
Score
January 8, 2013 3:30:03 PM

It isn't a problem with your card.

The game is highly optimized towards nvidia. This has been shown in a ton of bench marks. Not much you can do but drop the Multi-Sampling to get the fps your looking for.

I run the game with a 7950 and usually have the view distance turned down just a bit with only 1x multi-sampling and its playable for me.

I would be worried if it was affected in other games than just wow but seems like it's only wow for you.

Once again and I had the same thought, I bought this bran new card and WoW isn't working so great with it but seeing as I didn't want to spend the money on another new card or go through and RMA my card back, I was fine with dropping the setting on this game and running all the others in full.
Score
January 8, 2013 3:35:38 PM

jkhoward said:
I have not tried to run World of Warcraft without the card not overclocked. I did raise the OC 25MHZ higher last nigtht to see how it affect performance and I did get a 2 FPS increase. I have seen that happen before though. I will add that to the list of things to try.

Ok ya, give that a shot then. I had a 560 Ti I overclocked and was getting 60 FPS ave. pretty steady on Ultra. I've also noticed that on some OC's I can run Heaven with full tesselation with no issue but WOW just says no after a few minutes. Your 7970 stock should beat an OC'd 560 Ti at 960 mhz core. (can't remember what I had the ram up to.)
Score
January 8, 2013 3:37:21 PM

drinkingcola86 said:
It isn't a problem with your card.

The game is highly optimized towards nvidia. This has been shown in a ton of bench marks. Not much you can do but drop the Multi-Sampling to get the fps your looking for.

I run the game with a 7950 and usually have the view distance turned down just a bit with only 1x multi-sampling and its playable for me.

I would be worried if it was affected in other games than just wow but seems like it's only wow for you.

Once again and I had the same thought, I bought this bran new card and WoW isn't working so great with it but seeing as I didn't want to spend the money on another new card or go through and RMA my card back, I was fine with dropping the setting on this game and running all the others in full.

I'm getting better FPS with my current sapphire HD 5870 Vapor X OC edition than he is with his 7970 OC'd so I doubt it's an optimization issue. And I had to down clock my mem a hair from the factory OC to make the card stable.

Edit: I will admit that my 560 TI did much better though.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 3:48:06 PM

ibjeepr said:
I'm getting better FPS with my current sapphire HD 5870 Vapor X OC edition than he is with his 7970 OC'd so I doubt it's an optimization issue. And I had to down clock my mem a hair from the factory OC to make the card stable.

Edit: I will admit that my 560 TI did much better though.

So what are you recommending? What is the difference between AA Filtering Bi linear, x2 x16... and Multi sampling? These damn articles are very confusing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...

The card has a"boost" option that is enabled and I am overclocking on that setting. Should I overclock on the normal setting?
Score

Best solution

January 8, 2013 3:54:03 PM

jkhoward said:
So what are you recommending? What is the difference between AA Filtering Bi linear, x2 x16... and Multi sampling? These damn articles are very confusing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...

The card has a"boost" option that is enabled and I am overclocking on that setting. Should I overclock on the normal setting?

I'm recommending you run it without overclocking at all first and see where your FPS is. If it's still that low or lower then you may have a hardware issue. If everyone buying 7970's was getting FPS like that in WOW then your be hearing a lot more about it.

Edit: otherwise, like Iceclock said, the issue must be somewhere else. If you aren't having a problem in any other games it's hard to say.

That test is from over a year ago. The updated drivers are supposed to improve on that considerably.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:06:09 PM

ibjeepr said:
I'm recommending you run it without overclocking at all first and see where your FPS is. If it's still that low or lower then you may have a hardware issue. If everyone buying 7970's was getting FPS like that in WOW then your be hearing a lot more about it.

Edit: otherwise, like Iceclock said, the issue must be somewhere else. If you aren't having a problem in any other games it's hard to say.

The only other games I play are SC2 and League of Legends. Do you think those games are fulling taking advantage of my card? How about Guilds Wars 2? I do have that. I get about 60 FPS on ultra settings.

EDIT: I am going to get the FPS for GW2 and post it here with the same settings I am using for WoW. I know that GW2 is harder on the GPU and the average FPS should be about 60FPS with ultra settings.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:32:42 PM

Still waiting for answers to two out of three of my questions ;) .
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:38:27 PM

Sunius said:
Still waiting for answers to two out of three of my questions ;) .

I did reply to one of those questions good sir. I have to wait until I am home tonight to check the GPU usage during the uberlag. I did modify the CCC settings but while I did this I changed one setting at a time and monitored in-game performance and I am not running any addons, well one addon, but the isssue happens when the addon is disabled as well. NPCScan. :lol: 
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:43:22 PM

What about the installation? Is it a fresh install of the game or did you copy your files from another PC?
Score
January 8, 2013 4:49:58 PM

Sunius said:
What about the installation? Is it a fresh install of the game or did you copy your files from another PC?

In a post farther up on the thread he said,
"I just re installed WoW about 2 weeks ago with the latest patches and files."
Sounds like a fresh install, would be my guess.
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:50:57 PM

try reverting ur card and cpu back to stock settings, that might help.

Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:58:16 PM

If it's indeed a fresh install, it might still be downloading stuff (blizzard introduced this system an expansion ago I think). If you have never been to a zone, it will start downloading info about it on the fly and installing it. It could result in a VERY VERY bad performance. I'd suggest flying to somewhere you're lagging at and staying afk there for 1 hour with the game on. If that doesn't solve it, it's not that, but worth a try.

Secondly, I'd advice trying to delete Cache folder and rename Interface and WTF folders just to see whether they weren't corrupted.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 5:00:19 PM

Sunius said:

I installed WoW 2 weeks ago with the latest patches. I had this issue since day one. Last night I transferred the files over to my SSD but this did not address the issue either. Latest patches, runs the same before and after the file transfer.

I am going to reset my system to factory defaults and attempt this again.

I am also running Windows 8, could this be an issue?

Thanks for all the help so far guys! Keep it coming! :o 
Score
January 8, 2013 5:09:32 PM

jkhoward said:
I installed WoW 2 weeks ago with the latest patches. I had this issue since day one. Last night I transferred the files over to my SSD but this did not address the issue either. Latest patches, runs the same before and after the file transfer.

I am going to reset my system to factory defaults and attempt this again.

I am also running Windows 8, could this be an issue?

Thanks for all the help so far guys! Keep it coming! :o 

I'm running windows 8 64bit as well. It's not an issue.
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 5:25:04 PM

from my knowledge windows 8 doesnt decrease performance, shouldnt be an issue there.

let us know after ur factory resets.

Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 5:53:29 PM

iceclock said:
from my knowledge windows 8 doesnt decrease performance, shouldnt be an issue there.

let us know after ur factory resets.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I have a nice list in front of me with things that I am going to try out. I will let you know as soon as possible! :hello: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 12:03:17 AM

I reset my computer options and reinstalled the AMD drivers. I set the WoW options to ultra and now get a stable 54 - 74 FPS in the new areas. My next question, is this about normal at 1080p? I tried lowering the settings to how I had them before and the FPS is actually lower then they were before being 80 - 90 on lower settings when before they were 90 - 100?

Thanks!
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 12:14:59 AM

How would I go about over locking my system? Should I have hyper threading enabled? What bios option could of effected my FPS? Could it if been my GOU overclock?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 12:33:48 AM

UPDATE: I reset my system to the overclocked settings after I performed all of the following. The performance is still very good. I was messing around with the CCC settings and noticed that either AA Filter Edge-Detect or AA Mode Super AA are the cause of the problem.

Next question, when I am in the sky my average FPS is 40, when I am on the ground my average FPS is 60 around a pond. Is this normal for my system?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 3:41:32 AM

If that 40 is in Orgrimmar valley of strength, I'd say it's perfectly normal. However, if you're middle of nowhere, it's pretty low.

What's the GPU usage?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 11:54:50 AM

Sunius said:
If that 40 is in Orgrimmar valley of strength, I'd say it's perfectly normal. However, if you're middle of nowhere, it's pretty low.

What's the GPU usage?

MY GPU usage was at 100% on ultra. This was in the new areas with higher detail.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 12:21:26 PM

Okay. You mentioned you've set something to high quality in Catalyst Control Center. Could you try to restore defaults?
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 3:47:10 PM

hmm, have u tried error scanning ur ssd, and doing a clean reinstall again?,

u never know might be ur windows that has a corrupted file, ive had similar issues with everything working fine hardware wise but my windows was running weird.

after a complete reinstall fixed any issues with games.

Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 4:40:01 PM

Looks like a driver issue to me. No way it should be at 100% usage if it's something else.
Score
January 9, 2013 6:18:25 PM

I've seen that 7970 has a pretty high return rate. Not sure if that implies your card is bad but you may want to bring up the issue to Sapphire customer service and see what they have to say.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 8:47:41 PM

ibjeepr said:
I've seen that 7970 has a pretty high return rate. Not sure if that implies your card is bad but you may want to bring up the issue to Sapphire customer service and see what they have to say.

I reset my BIOS settings on my system and noticed a 20 FPS increase on ultra in a MoP area. I am not able to compare it to my old results because it is in a different area and the servers are acting up. I am going to try the 12.11 drivers and leave my system un overclocked from now on. I also removed my second low end 6540 GPU from the second PCI slot to possibly free up some bandwidth because I know my board is a lower end board. I will let you guys know whats going on with the new drivers and such. I do know that those drivers were crashing my system when playing SC2 and League of Legends and GW2.
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 8:50:18 PM

alright keep us updated :0

Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 9:13:11 PM

Just an update for Guild Wars 2 and Starcraft 2 while the World of Warcraft servers are down:

Guild Wars 2
Major City: 40 - 45 FPS on ULTRA
Other: 55 - 70 FPS on ULTRA

Starcraft 2:
Not Much Going On: 145 - 150 FPS
Some Madness: 100 - 115 FPS
Crazy Madness: 75 - 95 FPS

How do these numbers look?
Score
!