Sign in with
Your question

Why does my monitor randomly shut off?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2013 11:04:30 PM

I wasn't sure which section to put this in, but hopefully you can still help me.

So here's the situation. I set up my computer up in my room with my monitor and everything. Sometimes, the monitor turns off, but everything else seems to be running just fine. The mouse, sound, and keyboard still work. I've noticed that there's been a correlation between my mini-fridge shutting down it's active cooling cycle and the monitor, so I suspect that it's just fluctuation in the power from the outlet that every thing except the monitor can handle, but I'm not sure. I moved my fridge to another outlet in hopes that perhaps the outlets weren't in series, so it'd avoid these blips in the monitor's picture, but apparently it's not working and I'm not sure if the monitor is syncing up with the cooling cycle shut downs anymore either.

In a interesting detail, when you shut off the monitor manually, or stop delivering power, usually it displays the ASUS symbol before it displays the input from the system, but during these blips it doesn't do that. Instead, it just blips and bring me back to the screen as if nothing had happened. Also, these blips aren't just split second, but instead lasts like 3-5 seconds before displaying it again.

If anyone has any idea what's going on, and how to fix it, please help me. It gets kinda annoying when I'm playing games online and I'm left blind for 3-5 seconds.

More about : monitor randomly shut

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2013 1:03:31 PM

Are cables connected properly? Make sure it goes all the way in.

Could be a damaged/faulty monitor as well.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:21:22 PM

I do believe that the cables are attached properly, I even went back to check and they seem to be fine. As for the monitor, I've had it for about a year and a half now and it's never had problems before.
m
l
!