Closed

AMD 8000 series

I was going to build a computer towards the end of this month. Looks like I'll be holding off for a little while longer. The desktop 8000 series will be available in late January for oem pcs.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/oem-solutions/Pages/desktop.aspx#2

Wonder when the reviews will be out?
23 answers Last reply
More about 8000 series
  1. wow nice find!
    cant be long...
  2. Kari said:
    wow nice find!
    cant be long...

Yea Been checking google every so often today and finally saw some sites posting the announcement. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.
  3. What´s the architecture terascale 2??
  4. looks like most of the specs are the same, doesnt really mention any clockspeeds thou, only mem support which is a bit higher on the 8970
  5. pit_1209 said:
    What´s the architecture terascale 2??

vliw4, the previous one before gcn, so the low end is rebrands. the rest are new since they support dx11.1

edit or maybe not, hd7000 series support 11.1 as well it seems
  6. Kari said:
    looks like most of the specs are the same, doesnt really mention any clockspeeds thou, only mem support which is a bit higher on the 8970

If you click on the name of the card it will open up a pdf with more details. Looks like the 8970 is clocked at 1ghz with 1.05ghz boost.

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Radeon_HD_8970_Feature_Summary.pdf
  7. and i think that the hd 8850 is not for oem because it isn´t there
  8. GCN 2.0 GUYS!!!!!
  9. Holy crap 288GB/s
  10. don´t know, I was comparing especifications and the hd 8760 and hd 8870 have exactly the same especifications that the hd 7000 ones.
  11. Realistically, how should the higher end 8000 series like the 8870, 8995, and 8970 perform to their respective 7000 series equivalent? I've been planning my build for quite some time, and after much research I have concluded that the 7970 will be best for me with a 1440p screen. Should I just wait? As of right now, I don't even have a gaming rig.
  12. in fact all the others have the exact same specs, isn´t that weird or it´s just me?
  13. pit_1209 said:
    don´t know, I was comparing especifications and the hd 8760 and hd 8870 have exactly the same especifications that the hd 7000 ones.

Yea I was just looking at the 7970 compared to the 8970 and the specs are exactly the same. Not sure what that means lol.
  14. Maybe they are just placeholders until they get the actual info up?
  15. caltiger123 said:
    Realistically, how should the higher end 8000 series like the 8870, 8995, and 8970 perform to their respective 7000 series equivalent? I've been planning my build for quite some time, and after much research I have concluded that the 7970 will be best for me with a 1440p screen. Should I just wait? As of right now, I don't even have a gaming rig.

This is a new iteration of the previous architecture. Not a new architecture. So in general better power and performance is expected but not a Massive leap. probably higher stock clocks since they had so much headroom with the 7xxxs.

This is a wild ass guess but 15-25% improvement? Thoughts anyone?

(Now just 6 months to a year till nvidia releases something, while the fan boys wear tin fool hats and swear they.have a killer GPU they dont release because AMD sucks) (couldn't help myself last year was tooooo funny. No flame intended :D )
  16. unksol said:
    This is a new iteration of the previous architecture. Not a new architecture. So in general better power and performance is expected but not a Massive leap. probably higher stock clocks since they had so much headroom with the 7xxxs.

This is a wild ass guess but 15-25% improvement? Thoughts anyone?

(Now just 6 months to a year till nvidia releases something, while the fan boys wear tin fool hats and swear they.have a killer GPU they dont release because AMD sucks) (couldn't help myself last year was tooooo funny. No flame intended :D )

I think that's the general opinion. It seems something is off with these specs though, they are all the same specs as the 7000 series. After looking around on some other forums it seems these oem cards are either not the "real" 8000 series or the 8000 series is just rebranded 7000 series. I dunno though, I don't know much about the differences between an oem card shipping with pcs from the likes of dell and the ones you buy separately later on.
  17. Ah crap :( . Looks like all of these are indeed just rebrands for oem desktops. The actual 8000 series won't be coming out until Q2.

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-hd-8000-gpus-oems-radeon-hd-7000-rebrands/
  18. just compute power increased
  19. it would be nice if they named the gcn2 cards hd9000 series instead just to avoid confusion. Just like nvidia did with the gtx300 series which was just rebrands for oems and didn't get sold straight to the consumers at all.
  20. Boo, basically the same specs, just rebranded 7xxx series for the most part, you shouldn't even wait for these to be honest. You can always sell/upgrade if need be in the future.
  21. This isn't the real Desktop 8xxx series. Open your eyes, at the top 8xxx isn't listed. Only under (OEM). OEM parts are always re brands for the most part with just slight iterations.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon AMD Graphics