yeahmansupercool

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I've been keeping an eye on my GPU usage with MSI Afterburner ever since I got my card and I notice it hovers around 50-60% usually. I'll notice if I am looking at a wide open space in Far Cry 3 I'll get exactly 30 FPS while the GPU usage stays low. When I game my CPU rarely goes above 70% usage. I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T slightly overclocked to 3.7

My NVIDIA drivers are all up to date. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of way to get 98-100% GPU usage at all times like I did with my 560Ti.

The 660 Ti I have is the Gigabyte Windforce x2 660 Ti OC

I will answer any questions asked.

yeahmansupercool

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

1920x1080 and playing on Ultra with 2xMSAA. I realize a 660 Ti might not be able to handle Ultra with AA on very well, but I am still confused as why it will hover around 50% GPU usage at times when the extra usage is needed. There are times of course where it does hit 98% but will go down when I am looking in a particular direction. My CPU usage at max I've never seen go above 75% in any game I have ever played. BF3, Far Cry 3, etc.

OK well obviously max usage is only necessary when te card requires.
Disable V-sync and see what happens.
After that increase settings.

It sound to me like you have nothing to worry about if you have smooth gameplay?

yeahmansupercool

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

It's smooth yeah. But when it dips to low FPS like around 30, the usage will only be at 50%. Is that normal for it to be at low GPU usage and to have FPS like that?

Yeah if V-sync is enable that's normal and settings cranked up.

about VSYNC:

With VSYNC on, your PC usually tries to synch to 60FPS. If it can't, it then drops to 30FPS.

So, it's possible you can't achieve 60FPS, but at 30FPS you aren't using your card fully.

You DEFINITELY should be setting the game to use Adaptive VSYNC in your NVidia Control Panel.

Why?
If you drop below 60FPS then VSYNC is then turned OFF. You'll get SCREEN TEARING (the main reason VSYNC is used) but no sudden drop to 30FPS.

SUMMARY:
Use Adaptive VSYNC and report back.
*Don't forget if you TAB out of a game the reading likely isn't correct. You'd need to observe the usage just BEFORE you ALT-TAB out or shut down the game.