bjohnson210

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Running:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - Running latest BIOS - ver F6f
Processor: AMD FX-6100 3.3 GHz Six-Core Processor
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - Running latest drivers - 285.62

Basically I am just looking for some reassurance. I have gotten such a nice computer from my family and I don't want to cause any undo wear. I am using EasyTune 6, under the QuickBoost option. I set the system under the first tier green setting of 4 GHz from 3.3 GHz. I have the stock cooler from AMD running at full RPM. I installed a Thermaltake fan in every available spot for a total of 4 in the case. Fronts exhausting into the case with the top and top rear exhausting out. All fans running at full RPM.

I have been monitoring the temp and sitting still the processor is at 30C (93F). The most I have seen it at is 46C (116F). I ran the basic, Performance preset test from 3DMark11 and everything ran fine. No hiccups, locks, etc.

So basically should I be concerned about any excessive wear? This is my first venture into playing with any overclocking and am a little paranoid.

As long as you stay inside AMD's max recommended temperature and voltage, short of a random failure (which all electronic components are subject to), your system will be obsolete long before it fails from any overclocking side effects.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
46C under load is nothing to worry about, I wish my full load temperatures were that low. If you really want to stress the CPU, download Intel Burn Test, as that generates a lot more heat.