My computer doesnt shut down

partonjon

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I could really use some help here. Recently when I try to shut down my computer it will not shut off completely, instead it goes through the windows is shutting down process and the monitor turns off, but the computer keeps running. I have to hold down the power button to shut it down completely.

This is very irritating and confusing. Especially since restarting works just fine. So far I have tried swapping out hard drives, thinking it may be a virus, I bought a new power supply (a Corsair 600), switched graphics cards, and switched ram sticks with ones that I know work. To no avail.

This leads me to believe that the MB is faulty, but Im really hoping thats not the case. Its a gigabyte micro intel board, its a couple years old. Im building this for my mother to use for internet mostly, and this is driving me nuts.

Any idea why this may be happening, Ive never had this problem before.

Thanks.

It sounds like it is hanging on a windows update. Go to the update page and manually install the updates.

partonjon

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I'll give that a try, but I dont really think thats the problem as when I shut down windows shuts down completely but the computer itself stays on. All the fans stay on, and I can open and close the dvd drive.

Ill try that though, Ill try just about anything now.