Netgeezer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hi all,

I'm slightly perplexed. I have ADSL broadband in my home. This is broadcast using a Netgear DGN2000 throughout the house.

So far so good.

I have a log cabin / shed in the garden which I work from. Previously I've just run an ethernet cable out doors but I was hoping to cut out having a cable across my driveway. My wife has been telling me to sort it out for a while now..!

I would like to use my 8 port wired netgear switch in the office. I guess I need some kind of bridging device to translate the wifi from the house back into ethernet which can then be used with my switch? Do I need another router? Can you tell I'm shooting in the dark?!

I've put this in general networking but I'm not even sure if it's the right place so just tell me if I got it wrong...

Yes, a 2nd wireless router can act as an access point when it's configured for bridge mode. The settings are dependent on the make/model of router. Depending on the distance to the shed wireless may not be the way to go. You can get ethernet cable rated for outdoors and run it underground (preferably in conduit) to your shed and attach the switch to it.

RealBeast

Titan
^ +1 I always try to go with a wired solution before turning to wireless. Making a buried cable run with CAT 5e in PVC conduit is best.

If you have to go wireless, make sure that if you go with a router to configure as a bridge (instead of a true wireless bridge) that it supports WDS, and also its good if it supports dd-wrt firmware, which you can check in the dd-wrt database HERE. If you bridge you can use the wired ports on the bridge or attach a switch.

Netgeezer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Great information, thank you guys. Trouble is I can't run an ethernet cable underneath my concrete driveway without breaking it all up and starting again.

I'll check that list and go from there I guess! I know my DGN2000 supports WDS but I also know it's rather old...

Thanks again

Netgeezer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Right. Here is my 'solution.' I buy another DGN2000 and configure it as a bridge. This will then allow me to plug in my switch to the router in the shed and I can connect everything as before essentially..?

I know wired is preferred but in this instance I simply have to go wireless.