Your question

AMD 7870 low performance?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2013 4:00:16 AM

Here is my rig

AMD 7870 HIS
AMD 940 x4 clocked at 3.4 Ghz
4 GB RAM

Ok so this is weird. When I'm playing games like battlefield 3 and far cry 3 on high-ish settings, I only seem to muster up about 30-40 frames for the most part. I've talked to several people about this and I'm told that a bottleneck is likely the issue, but hear me out.

When the checking the amd vision engine control center, my gpu activity while playing bf3 hovers around 80-99%. When playing far cry 3, it goes anywhere from 68-95%. When playing Arkham City, it's even worse at only 30%. Except, here's the weird thing though. My CPU activity never exceeds 80% and even my RAM only maxes out at 2.59 GB. What gives here? I overclocked my cpu from 3.0 to 3.4 ghz but it honestly didn't make the slightest difference...at least not to my knowledge.

So what do you guys think? I thought the cpu bottleneck would explain it, but by all indications, the cpu is not working at its max either. Any insight is appreciated.
January 8, 2013 4:33:42 AM

Overclock your CPU higher. It's normal that the 940 x4 is bottlenecking the 7870 at that speed.
January 8, 2013 4:36:52 AM

alright. Would 3.6 ghz be good enough?
Related resources
January 8, 2013 4:40:04 AM

Try going 3.6Ghz and see whether you get improvements or not. I suggest repeating this until you're suite satisfied with the CPU clockspeed, voltage and temperature. My guess, 4.0GHz should be quite satisfactory for a 7870
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 5:01:07 AM

marcooli0 said:
Here is my rig

AMD 7870 HIS
AMD 940 x4 clocked at 3.4 Ghz
4 GB RAM

Ok so this is weird. When I'm playing games like battlefield 3 and far cry 3 on high-ish settings, I only seem to muster up about 30-40 frames for the most part. I've talked to several people about this and I'm told that a bottleneck is likely the issue, but hear me out.

When the checking the amd vision engine control center, my gpu activity while playing bf3 hovers around 80-99%. When playing far cry 3, it goes anywhere from 68-95%. When playing Arkham City, it's even worse at only 30%. Except, here's the weird thing though. My CPU activity never exceeds 80% and even my RAM only maxes out at 2.59 GB. What gives here? I overclocked my cpu from 3.0 to 3.4 ghz but it honestly didn't make the slightest difference...at least not to my knowledge.

So what do you guys think? I thought the cpu bottleneck would explain it, but by all indications, the cpu is not working at its max either. Any insight is appreciated.

if you're getting that much % usage the cpu is likely not your problem.

the test: if you lower the resolution and settings and get NO increase in frames then the cpu is holding the 7870 back.
January 8, 2013 5:01:42 AM

ati 7870 is not a high-end card, its a mid-range card. What resolution and detail settings are you using?

Your performance didn't change after increasing CPU-speed, that suggests the bottleneck is on the graphics-card.
January 8, 2013 10:47:17 AM

basbb_11 said:
ati 7870 is not a high-end card, its a mid-range card. What resolution and detail settings are you using?

Your performance didn't change after increasing CPU-speed, that suggests the bottleneck is on the graphics-card.

Even if you call it a "mid-range" card (which i really disagree with, its a mid-high card at least), it should get much higher fps, even at ultra settings in BF3.
January 8, 2013 8:14:17 PM

7870 should be performing better. I would look to CPU. Even if it has low CPU utilization, the games is not well threaded so only 1-2 cores are fully loaded up. I only get 30% usage in some games but 1 core is maxed out with the rest doing like nothing.

January 8, 2013 10:25:17 PM

and the solution to this then is? Overclock? I could try that again but I've already blue screened while going up to 3.5 and I don't wanna mess with voltage because my cpu is hot enough as it is (bad airflow, have an aftermarket cooler though)
!