AMD 7870 low performance?

Here is my rig

AMD 7870 HIS
AMD 940 x4 clocked at 3.4 Ghz
4 GB RAM

Ok so this is weird. When I'm playing games like battlefield 3 and far cry 3 on high-ish settings, I only seem to muster up about 30-40 frames for the most part. I've talked to several people about this and I'm told that a bottleneck is likely the issue, but hear me out.

When the checking the amd vision engine control center, my gpu activity while playing bf3 hovers around 80-99%. When playing far cry 3, it goes anywhere from 68-95%. When playing Arkham City, it's even worse at only 30%. Except, here's the weird thing though. My CPU activity never exceeds 80% and even my RAM only maxes out at 2.59 GB. What gives here? I overclocked my cpu from 3.0 to 3.4 ghz but it honestly didn't make the slightest difference...at least not to my knowledge.

So what do you guys think? I thought the cpu bottleneck would explain it, but by all indications, the cpu is not working at its max either. Any insight is appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about 7870 performance
  1. Overclock your CPU higher. It's normal that the 940 x4 is bottlenecking the 7870 at that speed.
  2. alright. Would 3.6 ghz be good enough?
  3. Try going 3.6Ghz and see whether you get improvements or not. I suggest repeating this until you're suite satisfied with the CPU clockspeed, voltage and temperature. My guess, 4.0GHz should be quite satisfactory for a 7870
  4. marcooli0 said:
    Here is my rig

AMD 7870 HIS
    AMD 940 x4 clocked at 3.4 Ghz
    4 GB RAM

Ok so this is weird. When I'm playing games like battlefield 3 and far cry 3 on high-ish settings, I only seem to muster up about 30-40 frames for the most part. I've talked to several people about this and I'm told that a bottleneck is likely the issue, but hear me out.

When the checking the amd vision engine control center, my gpu activity while playing bf3 hovers around 80-99%. When playing far cry 3, it goes anywhere from 68-95%. When playing Arkham City, it's even worse at only 30%. Except, here's the weird thing though. My CPU activity never exceeds 80% and even my RAM only maxes out at 2.59 GB. What gives here? I overclocked my cpu from 3.0 to 3.4 ghz but it honestly didn't make the slightest difference...at least not to my knowledge.

So what do you guys think? I thought the cpu bottleneck would explain it, but by all indications, the cpu is not working at its max either. Any insight is appreciated.

if you're getting that much % usage the cpu is likely not your problem.

the test: if you lower the resolution and settings and get NO increase in frames then the cpu is holding the 7870 back.
  5. ati 7870 is not a high-end card, its a mid-range card. What resolution and detail settings are you using?

Your performance didn't change after increasing CPU-speed, that suggests the bottleneck is on the graphics-card.
  6. basbb_11 said:
    ati 7870 is not a high-end card, its a mid-range card. What resolution and detail settings are you using?

Your performance didn't change after increasing CPU-speed, that suggests the bottleneck is on the graphics-card.

Even if you call it a "mid-range" card (which i really disagree with, its a mid-high card at least), it should get much higher fps, even at ultra settings in BF3.
  7. 7870 should be performing better. I would look to CPU. Even if it has low CPU utilization, the games is not well threaded so only 1-2 cores are fully loaded up. I only get 30% usage in some games but 1 core is maxed out with the rest doing like nothing.

8. and the solution to this then is? Overclock? I could try that again but I've already blue screened while going up to 3.5 and I don't wanna mess with voltage because my cpu is hot enough as it is (bad airflow, have an aftermarket cooler though)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Performance AMD Battlefield Graphics