Windows xp and network key

suz5965

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Whenever i try to connect my pc (handed down to me) to our wireless internet, it won't accept my network key info. A window pops up saying it needs 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters! My network key is neither of these. Is there a way around it? My pc is a toshiba and it has a toshiba wireless LAN Mini PCI card. My pc says (at times) that i have access to wireless connection, but when i access google, it says server cannot be found! I am NOT a computer wiz in the least and have surprised myself with what i have done/accessed so far, but i need help! I have spent HOURS AND HOURS over the last weeks trying to get wireless connection.....where a server can be found!!! Hope someone can help! Thanks!

blisstyria

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Here are two solves for you. Each are simple to perform and if you've connected to and or setup your wirless internet device before, this should be just as easy.

One: Go to your wirless device and look at the bottom of the modem. You should see a "default key" that is required to be entered before it will allow a device to connect it.

Second: Uninstall the program and "wireless network" you created when you installed the wirless device. Re-start your computer to finalize removal of the device and reinstall the program and create a new network. During this setup process you will go through questions about then network you just created and what type (s) of security you want to enable on your network.

suz5965

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for your time on this.
I have never set-up a wireless connection before, and i do not have the program to reinstall once i have uninstalled the wireless network....is this a problem? Also, if it is of any help, there is this "optus" logo in the top right hand of the screen......we are with AAPT....shouldn't that logo be there (IF any?)! Could this be inteferring with the connection?
As you can probably tell, i am a novice at this technical stuff!
Thanks again for your kind assistance! Suzie :)