BG II -freezing

Hi

I have a problem with BG II, I can play for 5-15 minutes then the game
totaly freezes. The whole computer just locks down and i cant do a
thing, only push the reset button and restart the whole thing. I have
tried to install VMware and runBG II on an win98IIse installation but
it is the same thing. The whole computer freezes after about 5 minutes
and I cant even exit WMvare all I can do is to reset the computer and
start xp all over again. The hardware is an Athlon XP 2600, 512MB of
RAM, GeForce FX5200 all drivers and so should be up to date, and all
other programs works just fine. Anyone who have an idea? I would realy
like to play the game to the end at least one time...

--
biblPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Hi Bibl,

Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)

1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"bibl" <bibl.1rmaqy@> wrote in message news:ZuqdnT21QdyB6lXfRVn_vg@giganews.com...

| Hi
|
| I have a problem with BG II, I can play for 5-15 minutes then the game
| totaly freezes. The whole computer just locks down and i cant do a
| thing, only push the reset button and restart the whole thing. I have
| tried to install VMware and runBG II on an win98IIse installation but
| it is the same thing. The whole computer freezes after about 5 minutes
| and I cant even exit WMvare all I can do is to reset the computer and
| start xp all over again. The hardware is an Athlon XP 2600, 512MB of
| RAM, GeForce FX5200 all drivers and so should be up to date, and all
| other programs works just fine. Anyone who have an idea? I would realy
| like to play the game to the end at least one time...
|

| --
| biblPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

I tried to run Windows Memory Diagnostic the computer just freeze in the
test called Stride6, does this mean I have an RAM problem or?

--
biblPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

sounds like a heat issue. Did you try number 2 of Jimmy's tips?

Randy

"bibl" <bibl.1rmwlm@> wrote in message

> I tried to run Windows Memory Diagnostic the computer just freeze in the
> test called Stride6, does this mean I have an RAM problem or?

Quite possibly. Do you have multiple sticks of memory? Try pulling one
out, running the test and then again with the other stick.

To see if it's a heat issue, you could also try opening up the case, if
you've got a desk fan use that too. Even if it still locks up, if it locks
up after a longer period of time then it's probably a heat issue.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Hi Bibl,

Yes. Most likely you do have a problem with your RAM.
Get a 2nd opinion by using another memory test program from:
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html