GTX 690 Randomly not detected.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Boot
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2013 8:40:50 AM

Guys can anyone help. I recently had some issues with my ram. Finally i sorted it, but i have now noticed a new issue that seemed to appear out of nowhere.

My GTX 690 will randomly not be detected after a reboot or cold boot. It will boot up with only the intergrated graphics, All i have to do is restart my PC though and it will start working again.

Does anyone know what could be causing this. I really think i need a new mobo. But could this issue be the card or mobo?

thanks.

More about : gtx 690 randomly detected

a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 9:08:23 AM

it could be any or both.
what are your other system specs?
try updating the mainboard bios and change the default graphics to pci-e
January 8, 2013 9:15:11 AM

Yeah we really need more information about your system to be able to try and help.
Related resources
January 8, 2013 9:26:20 AM

Sorry Guys my specs are:

Mobo - Asus Maximus IV Gene Z/Gen 3 ROG Edition

Ram - 8GB (2x4) Dual channel 1600MHZ DDR3

CPU - Intel I7 2600K

GPU - GTX 690

PSU - XFX 1050W Single Rail Gold Certified

As far as i know i am running the latest bios but i will check and report back, i will also check what my default graphics adaptor is in the bios.

This is a new issue though i've had the PC and card now for about 4ish months, I recently decided to go back from windows 8 to windows 7 because i didnt like it, thats when the graphics card issues started.
January 8, 2013 9:39:38 AM

siddharthmukul007 said:
update your os

I already have all the latest updates. I checked with the asus bios update utility and it says i have the latest bios. I checked in the bios and my default display adaptor was set to auto. So i changed that to PCI-E.

Could this be a driver issue though? this didnt start happening untill i installed the latest 310.90 drivers. But i assumed because the card is sometimes not even detected in device manager. It was a H/W issue.
January 8, 2013 9:47:49 AM

Did you format you harddrive before reverting from Windows 8 to 7? Or did you just "delete" Windows 8 and install 7?

Also try reverting to older non-beta drivers, like 306.xx or something.
January 8, 2013 9:55:55 AM

Blazzok said:
Did you format you harddrive before reverting from Windows 8 to 7? Or did you just "delete" Windows 8 and install 7?

Also try reverting to older non-beta drivers, like 306.xx or something.

No i did a clean install, I have 3 drives all together. A 32GB SSD and 2x4TB HDD'S. i formatted all 3 during the windows 7 install.

the 310.90 drivers i insatalled were WHQL certified so there not beta drivers. But i will try some old drivers now.

I just did a little experiment and found out what causes this issue to happen.

Once my PC is running. I can reboot and my graphics card works fine, But if i power off the computer off and restart, my graphics card is not detected again.

So it seems to be related to powering off the PC.
January 8, 2013 10:07:27 AM

Don't think it will be this, but just be sure you have 64bit drivers if you are using 64bit Windows 7, or 32bit if you have 32bit windows 7 (which you shouldn't have).
January 8, 2013 10:11:30 AM

Blazzok said:
AH!

Just found this. I think this is what you are experiencing.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/527036/geforce...

Aww dude that exactly it. So it's defo an issue with the 310.90 drivers. Thats a load off my mind. I was worrying my graphics card was turning into a $1400 paper weight :bounce: 
January 8, 2013 10:13:59 AM

mancsoulja said:
Aww dude that exactly it. So it's defo an issue with the 310.90 drivers. Thats a load off my mind. I was worrying my graphics card was turning into a $1400 paper weight :bounce: 

I'd take that paperweight of your hands anytime. :p 

So just revert to 310.70 drivers and it should work fine.
January 8, 2013 10:16:01 AM

Blazzok said:
I'd take that paperweight of your hands anytime. :p 

So just revert to 310.70 drivers and it should work fine.

lol bet you would :D 

Seriously though thanks for all your help mate. Your a legend :) 
January 8, 2013 10:17:01 AM

You're welcome.
!