How can I install mp3 Songs to my Nokia 6620 as a ring ton..

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
June 18, 2005 12:06:18 AM

Hi everybody...how can I install my favorite song with mp3 format to my
Nokia 6620 as a ring tone using my data cable and my PC SUITE program....

Thanks...
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:26:33 PM

"naderbd" <naderbd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
..com...
> Hi everybody...how can I install my favorite song with mp3 format to my
> Nokia 6620 as a ring tone using my data cable and my PC SUITE program....
>
> Thanks...

Big chance your 6620 will not play MP3 as ringtones. You can browse them
when you customize your profile, listen to them while you do so, but as soon
as you select it, you get 'Invalid Format' error, or something like it.

Earlier firmware-versions allow MP3s to be played as ringtones. Newer
firmwares (i have 4.22) don't... :=( (DRM issues, or something?)

But if your's does: Copy the MP3 ringtone into the C:\Nokia\Sounds\Digital
or E:\Nokia\Sounds\Digital folder of your phone. Then use your 'Profiles'
application to select the ringtone you want.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:20:01 PM

How do you check your firmware? As mentioned above, I can copy an MP3
into my Digital folder, and it'll play when previewing which ringtone
to select, but when I actually try to set it I get a "file format not
supported" error. This is absolutely unacceptable, since MP3 ringtones
were the primary feature I wanted when choosing a phone and everything
about the 6620 states that this can be done.

Is there any way to somehow flash to an older firmware version?
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:27:51 PM

<grathkolb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do you check your firmware? As mentioned above, I can copy an MP3
> into my Digital folder, and it'll play when previewing which ringtone
> to select, but when I actually try to set it I get a "file format not
> supported" error. This is absolutely unacceptable, since MP3 ringtones
> were the primary feature I wanted when choosing a phone and everything
> about the 6620 states that this can be done.
>
> Is there any way to somehow flash to an older firmware version?

As far as i can see, it does not state that you can use MP3s as ringtones
(at least i have not found any document that says so). It *does* state that
MP3 files can be played on the phone..... semantics, i know, but the
statements are a little different from each other.

Then again; if MP3s can be played on the phone, why not as ringtones?
I can see (one of) two reasons:
1. Playing those MP3s as ringtones was too buggy..... they just disabled
that feature (it seems that older 6620 *can* play MP3s as ringtones).
2. Something to do with DRM (digital rights management). I wonder what would
happen if you officially bought a MP3 ringtone.. .maybe it is possible to
set these as a ringtone. But then again; i can assign any MIDI file as a
ringtone, whether i bought it or not.

Checking your firmware: type

*#0000#

And you firmware will appear.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:52:15 AM

i have V 2.14.1
28-06-04
NHL-12
can i use mp3's for ringtones? and if so how? tia.

im guessing the 28-6-4 is the date?

--
'02 SS
July 3, 2005 3:59:17 PM

"naderbd" <naderbd@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:326feabef26dd059a2f08a5b3d0d8e66@localhost.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
> Hi everybody...how can I install my favorite song with mp3 format to my
> Nokia 6620 as a ring tone using my data cable and my PC SUITE program....
>
> Thanks...

Look here. Takes 30 secs to register for the site.
http://forum.burek.co.yu/index.php/topic,16987.0

This works for my 3600 ( symbian 60), good once you get going.
!