QBM-the solution?

G

I just read the DDR-Rambus comparison.
One problem with DDR is the inferior band to Rambus-Technology.

The bandwith could get better with QBM, an add-on technology from Kentron which doubles bandwith ("Q" stands for quad) of DDR, its cost-effective and compatible with current shipping standard 184-pin DIMM outline DDR-Modules.
For more info, read this:
http://www.quadbandmemory.com/About_QBM.htm

Its sad the mainboard manufactures and graphic titans dont have plans to use QBM technology in near future. The reasons for this remain unclear imo.

G

It does look like a good innovation. Who knows what really drives the industry one direction or another though. Without JEDEC backing, this could be the best new thing ever, and it still wouldn't go anywhere. With JEDEC backing this could be the next big thing. If only I could reliably predict these things...

Notice how it says QBM by Kentron at the top. I'm guessing the fact that it is another "owned" technology is the main thing it has going against it.

Maybe Kentron is charging too much for it.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
DDR already has superior bandwidth to RDRAM! A stick of PC800 RDRAM has a bandwidth of 1600MBps while a stick of P2100/DDR-266 has a bandwidth of 2133MBps. This is already 33% faster. The only reason that the RDRAM mobos outperform the DDR mobos is that they have dual-channel memory sub-systems. You have to use two RIMMs at a time which doubles the RDRAM bandwidth (1600 X 2 = 3200MBps). If the DDR mobos were dual-channel (something being prevented by Intel) they would easily outperform the RDRAM systems.

While QBM or QDR SDRAM would effectively eliminate this issue (and I would welcome this with shouts of Halleluja!!!), the bandwidth of DDR is NOT the current issue.

G

you must be talking to him, as that doesn't really make sense as a reply to anything I said.