Sign in with
Your question

System keeps powering off after a few seconds.

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2013 6:16:47 AM

I just finished hooking up all cables to the motherboard and all components. Also made sure to hook up both the 8 pin and 24 pin. When I power on to test the system powers on, and about 5 seconds later powers off. If I flip the power switch or unplug and replug the power cable it works again, but only for a few seconds.

Could it be the power supply? Or something I did not connect right? What should I be looking for.

Psu: thermaltake tr2 600w
Motherboard: asrock z77 pro4
Cpu: i5 3570k
Gpu: sapphire 7870 xt
Case: thermaltake v3 black edition
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 9:10:32 AM

read manual and watch the diagrams clearly . this help u better.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 5:27:45 PM

Followed the guide, and uninstalled everything except the cpu, cpu fan, and with and without only 1 stick of ram. No luck. No beep or anything. Also it will not succesfully power up still unless I wait in few minute intervals. Still when it does it only lasts a few seconds still.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:38:14 PM

Don't recall if it mentions it in the trouble shooting although I'm sure it does, did you install the mobo stand offs?

do you have a case speaker(little speaker that connects to mobo)?

its possible you have a doa component.
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:43:04 PM

Okay. I removed the motherboard now. Have everything layed out.

Motherboard has only the cpu, cpu fan, 24 pin power, 8 pin power, and the case speaker plugged in. Nothing else. No power at all.

However, if I plug in the little 2 pin case power button plug, it powers on. But again, just for a few seconds.

Trying to work backwards to see what it is, and getting nowhere.

Double checked the cpu, and no pins bent. Thermal paste is applied evenly with no spillage.
Motherboard looks fine.
The cpu and psu fans both spin when there IS power.

m
l
February 26, 2013 8:08:59 PM

Did the paperclip test, and the psu is inded fine.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 10:30:31 AM

Did you remove the little bit of plastic that covers the heatsink?

my guessed would be

cpu is getting too hot and shutting down
psu is not supplying enough power/possibly faulty
one of the components likely mobo is doa
m
l
March 5, 2013 11:18:46 PM

Sorry for not getting back to this. It was indeed the motherboard. I did not spot it, but there was a bent pin. Was not my fault either as I was extremely careful. Think it just shipped this way.

anyway, Micro Center replaced the mobo this past sunday. New mobo (and new CPU just in case) replaced.

System up and running as of yesterday evening.
m
l
!