What is a Modular Drive????

FatBurger

Illustrious
Please let us know when you find out.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Modular could mean practically anything, though.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I'm not sure if this is what it means.

<A HREF="http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/m/modular_architecture.html" target="_new">Defined:</A>

Modular Architecture

Refers to the design of any system composed of separate components that can be connected together. The beauty of modular architecture is that you can replace or add any one component (module) without affecting the rest of the system. The opposite of a modular architecture is an integrated architecture, in which no clear divisions exist between components.

The term modular can apply to both hardware and software. Modular software design, for example, refers to a design strategy in which a system is composed of relatively small and autonomous routines that fit together.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

jimmyswimm

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
What Dell is trying to mean, from my understanding anyway, is that the modular drive can be removed and swapped with another. Say you have 2 modular drives and 1 bay. You can pull out drive 1 without having to shutdown put 2 in an reboot. I don't know what other accesories dell has for the bay other than cd-rom but I do know that Compaq has a battery you can slot into that bay and have 2 batteries or put the 2nd one in without having to powerdown. Not sure if you can pull the primary battery out while powered on though but if I had to guess I'd say that you'd fry the sys.

<b><font color=blue>The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. :lol: :wink: