Hard drive durability?

G

Hi everyone!

I'm just bored by these IDE hardrive that get defect in a year or little more, I currently have 2 MAXTOR 54098U8 and a MAXTOR 6L040J2
My second 54098U8 start making repetitive strange noises (SCHLOCK!!!) and i'm waiting that it dies, is there any way to obtain HD that have a long durability: my use is a dayly use (with lots of apps and data...)
I'm working with WinXp and Win 2000

Should i switch to SCSI for durability or is it the same problem?

I have a adaptec 2940 UW card, can I use this card with last scsi hardrives?

The performance is the secondary criteria, I mainly want durability for my HD, but I hope that these expensive SCSI drive can perform as well than these crappy (but fast) IDE drives

Elseway, there is perhaps some good IDE drive to advise(another time: durability is more important than any other specs)

Thanks for any infos!

Gauthier

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would have to say that you could have problems with any mfg of hard drive. For example I have five Maxtor drives, one of which is from the same series you have. I don't have a problem with either one of them and the have lasted for a year or more running 24/7.

Most everything is a gamble. Some people have more problems then others. Enviromental issues play a factor and so does handling. I would just read the reviews and see which one has the performance your looking for. IDE is so cheap these days anyways. It's going to go lower for the smaller drives once they release the higher capacity drives.

SCSI isn't going to be more reliable. I have seen the same problems with SCSI as IDE. The added plus to SCSI is the performance (in some cases) and have a longer warranty.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
take lowest RPM hd (5400 RPM) instead of high perf hd (7200-15000RPM)
they are more solid.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

G

Hi, thanks for your replies, hopefully I've saved all my datas, I'm thinking of using hd mirroring (with Win2000), does it have some bad consequence using this feature?

Thanks

Gauthier

Gauthier

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
not this is a good system but

- you will loss just some hd performances.
- the mirroring stresses a <i>little</i> hds

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Also, software RAID means you can't install the OS on the RAID, so you'll need at least 3 drives.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

make sure you are defraging on a regular basis and that your case isnt getting too hot inside.

if you still have repeated problems then i dont know what to say. i run a Western Digital and so far i have had no problems. i keep my disks pretty clean though, since i delete any unnecessary programs and data on a regular basis. also trying to run multiple large programs or running mp3's off the hard drive while running HD intensive programs can cause a lot of wear i think.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
maybe it is somthing floating around the air, concrete dust is small enough to get inside a hard drive.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.