Installing Zotac GeForce GTX 650 Ti

juanveliz626

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I just bought a Zotac GeForce GTX 650 Ti from newegg.com, this is the link of the video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500277

This is my computer tower, I haven't done anything to it so it's exactly as described, i also bought it from newegg and it came with the GeForce GT 610, here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229362

When I take out the GT 610 to put in the GTX 650 Ti, and startup the computer, i get this stupid error "Select boot device" or something like that, and the only option is 1. CD/DVD blah blah..., so I choose that one, then I get "No bootable device found, press any key to go back..."

Then, when I take out the GTX 650 Ti, and put the GT 610 back on, I get no error messages and everything boots up fine like before (but of course, with the crappy GT 610 video card!!!)

HOW DO I INSTALL THE ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 650 Ti on my computer??? I'm a complete newbie and this is the first time I try to install a video card on my own, please explain in detail, I might be getting mixed up somewhere. Use the link to my computer tower as a reference; perhaps my computer tower is not compatible with my video card? Perhaps I don't know what I just said? Please help me!

update the BIOS of your mainboard...yours being a prebuilt system must have some sort of a lock with the gt610 for which you are facing this problem.
it is not possible to make out your mainboard make and model from here online...so you have to take the pain of finding that out yourself.
you will find that by opening your case and taking a look at your mainboard
once you are done...you can download the BIOS from the web site of the manufacturer

juanveliz626

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for your reply!! I appreciate it. So, first of all, what's a mainboard? Same as motherboard? Next, where is the motherboard in my computer? I have my computer case off and I'm looking inside my computer right now, there's a bunch of wires going everywhere, WHICH ONE IS THE MOTHERBOARD? There's also many number codes and version numbers inside, which one do you think I have to go for?

I think you are guiding me in the right direction so I commend you for that, but please do explain

Edit:

I got these 2 numbers inside my computer:

MS-7641 VER: 4.0

and...

760GM-P34(FX)

Edit #2:

I think I just found out the manufacturer is MSI, it says it in big letters, and the model might be N1996

juanveliz626

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Yea that's the motherboard, I already updated all the bios from that same website, and it's still not working with the gtx 650 ti, but it is working with the prebuilt gt 610, i was able to get into the bios screen before the computer starts up, and with the gtx 650 ti the harddrive isn't being detected, but it IS detected with the gt 610

Seems like im rambling, but anyway do you have any other suggestions? when do i start considering that I might have a bad video card and I need a replacement? is there anything else i need to do before i get to that point? maybe some configurations on my cyberpowerpc are impeding me to use another video card with it?

Thanks your help thus far it's been helpful.

juanveliz626

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
That would actually be the best way to be sure, but I don't have another pc, other than this laptop that im on right now. To be honest that pc is for my son, I'm trying to upgrade his video card so he can play with better graphics and better games, I don't care too much for gaming, I have my own laptop (this one).

But anyway, I think I should just get the video card replaced, I even contacted the cyberpowerpc company and I did everything they told me. For some damn reason, the hard drive ISN'T being detected with that new video card, which bothers me, and leads me to think that is probably doesn't have anything to do with the video card.

Why the hell wouldn't the hard drive be detected? If it were the video card itself being faulty, maybe games would run super slow or anything of that nature, but it's just driving me nuts how the hard drive isn't detected, unless i put in the gt 610.

I guess for the time being my son could play with the gt 610... running games like batman arkham city and skyrim at 15 FPS :pfff:

If you have any other suggestions before I give up on this let me know, and thanks for everything

had I been in your place...I would have tried out a different hard drive instead.
they might have a lock on that as well..although generally they don't do that...just in case.
many phones have this lock in feature with a network provider.
check to see if the card is detected in your BIOS...I think it is,since you are having the display.
so it is most probably your hard drive.
you can also try updating the BIOS of your hard drive.

karthik_sumana

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

did u connect the 6 pin connector?

bobblacksmith

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I have a prebuilt computer as well, and I updated my drivers and my BIOS before ever messing with hardware components to ensure that there will not be problems there. You and I may have the same pc, but I recently got the GTX 660 to replace the gt 610 (You don't know Skyrim till you play it on ultra with no lag) it worked fine for me, I even have the same motherboard as you, so try downloading Live Update 5 from MSI. It will auto detect your hardware and download the latest drivers and BIOS for it. Also, if you have windows 8 make sure you are in legacy BIOS mode, if you are in UEFI you will have to disable secure boot in the BIOS.

~Good Luck~

My PC
-amd fx6100 @3.5GHz
-MSI 760GM P34 mainboard
-Asus OC GTX 660
-EVGA 600W PSU