Sign in with
Your question

GPU dead, cant use onboard GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2013 4:12:54 PM

Hi guys,
Need help about my old PC HP Compaq dx2250. it was working fine and then the Video Card stopped working. It's dead. And at pc shop i was told that this PC has on board video card so should run fine, if i didnot needed it for games an so.
I connect PC VGA slot(one that on the motherboard) to desktop and turn PC on, the fans start forking, mouse starts working, everything seems ok, but the screen remains black. (and motherboard gives no extra beeps)
These are my PC parts:

HP dx 2250 microtower

MB: Micro-Star MS-7297 Ver 2.1

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000 (2.1 Ghz)

PSU: Bestec ATX-250-12Z

RAM: 2xKingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

PS. i know its wery old PC, now i have new one but i was wondering if i could just bring this old PC to "life"

More about : gpu dead onboard gpu

a c 143 U Graphics card
a b α HP
January 8, 2013 4:15:17 PM

Did you uninstall the dead discrete graphics card?

-Wolf sends
January 8, 2013 4:17:43 PM

I removed it, if you are asking that :) 
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b α HP
January 8, 2013 4:26:40 PM

Yes, that's what I was asking. Sometimes, just the presence of a discrete graphics card is enough for your system to automatically disable the on-board graphics. I think your next step here would be in temporarily install another discrete card and see if there is a enable/disable on-board graphics setting in your system BIOS.

-Wolf sends
January 8, 2013 4:33:34 PM

Thanks for help and advise. Unfortunately i cant get a temporary replacement. will try that some another time.
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 4:42:31 PM

Can you see the BIOS screen using the integrated card?
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b α HP
January 8, 2013 5:44:28 PM

laolaozizi said:
Thanks for help and advise. Unfortunately i cant get a temporary replacement. will try that some another time.

You can't use the graphics card of your newer PC just to see if it gets you into BIOS?

-Wolf sends
January 8, 2013 5:52:27 PM

Try "Alt" or "F2" or "F11" key to enter into BIOS setting when PC boot up. You can activate internal graphic peripheral under set up. Make sure your monitor input mode is "Auto" or "Analog". That VGA port on the motherboard ,D-Sub, sends only analog signal.
January 9, 2013 12:15:28 PM

Wolfshadw said:
You can't use the graphics card of your newer PC just to see if it gets you into BIOS?

-Wolf sends

My New Video Card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti(on z77 MB); but i have not tried it, actually never soft to do that, now ill check if its compatible with old MB
!