Roadrunner - fast wireless sloww ethernet

npk21

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I just got bright house because I moved and they do not offer xfinity out in my area. I have the road runner 7 down 2 up or close the problem I am having is my laptop and ipad connect fine and are fast on loading webpages or whatever. The desktop on the other hand is incredibly slow.

Speed test on desktop:
Down: 6.8m (847kb/sec)
Up: .5m (61kb/sec)

Setup:
Amd Athlon II x4 635 @ 3.2 ghz
MB: Asus m4a785td-m evo
2x1 gb kingston hyperx
windows 7 home premium
any suggestions?

tomatthe

Distinguished
It looks like your dl speed is pretty much spot on there, and the RoadRunner connections in my area are 7Mbit/512kbit which puts your download speed where it should be as well.

If your download speed is supposed to be 2Mbit you could try calling them. Try running speedtest.net on the other devices to see how they compare.

xaira

Distinguished
hmmm...download sped looks good ut you are missing 1.5m from upload, and if you do the speedtest from the laptop, you get full 2mb?

either way, .5m should not cause the delays you are speaking of, does windows run slow atall?

do all browsere give the same speed?

have you tried chrome?

npk21

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Windows operates fine, I have hardly anything on there all my programs open fast etc. My other devices have same speeds but pages load much faster. I can not connect to steam or anything else so I am suspect of what is going on with my modem.

npk21

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Also, my cell phone (HTC Inspire) is faster on the wifi than my desktop. If it helps, it takes about 12 - 15 seconds to open up this webpage, and takes me about 6 on my phone, and less than a sec on my labtops.

npk21

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I do have pop up blockers and just the windows firewall, I have turned it off even and it is still the same, I have booted the pc in safe mode with networking and it is still doing the same thing.

npk21

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

no it is not :/ I believe it to be a hardware issue maybe a really old modem/router