Will wpa2 affect throughput on wireless speed versus wep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiSS_method

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hello all:

I recently got FiOS internet service with an Actiontec M1424WR rev.I router that comes as standard equipment. I have problems logging in the router so I had the router replaced. I'm still having the same logging in problem with the second router, showing page error http 404, and the tech said it's beyond his scope of knowledge.

When I had the original router, security was set on WPA2 and both my wired and wireless throughput were 35/35 Mbps with the wireless upload losing only 2 Mbps. It did not matter whether my laptop was three inches or 20 ft away from the router or I was on the first or second floor of the house with extensive wall blockage.

When I had the router changed (same make and model), I had the security changed from WPA2 to WEP 128 bit. On wired, throughput is 35/35-36 Mbps; on wireless throughput is 21/20 Mbps. I told the tech that this seems to be a tremendous drop, with the first router not being like this at all. All he said was Verizon will guarantee the throughput on wired but not wireless. Comforting to know, isn't it?

So, my question: will security setting change from WPA2 to WEP 128 bit affect wireless throughput? I find the big drop in D/U speed unsettling. BTW, I have not tried switching back to WPA2. Your responses are appreciated!

K.i.S.S._method

Solution
Yes, that makes sense -- the maximum transfer rate, per IEEE 802.11n standard, for networks using WEP or WPA (TKIP) passwords is 54 Mbps, so WPA2 will be faster on N networks. Also using AES should be faster since it is included in most hardware now.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, that makes sense -- the maximum transfer rate, per IEEE 802.11n standard, for networks using WEP or WPA (TKIP) passwords is 54 Mbps, so WPA2 will be faster on N networks. Also using AES should be faster since it is included in most hardware now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS