Sign in with
Your question

Difference between normal ald GHz versions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2013 6:25:23 PM

Hello, i have been watching a new 7970 card. The store im buying it has the Gigabyte radeon 7970 normal clock edition, and the GHz cersion, that is 30€ expensiever.
So my question, is the boost clock the only defference between them, and is it possible/how hard is it to OC the card to the boost clock.

Like the norm clock is 1000MHz (the normal version) and the GHz version is 1100.
So, can i buy the cheaper version, Oc it to 1100 and save money?

Ok, the 3072mb GDDR5 memory is 5500MHz in the normal, and 6000 on the ghz. So is that also overclockable.

:bounce: 
January 8, 2013 6:30:41 PM

You can do that same even if it's not GHz edition, the 100MHz is like a boost so that called with GHz edition... also the advantage of GHz edition is that you'll be able to OC 25-100MHz more higher than the normal 1000MHz
January 8, 2013 6:42:16 PM

Mmatuu said:
Hello, i have been watching a new 7970 card. The store im buying it has the Gigabyte radeon 7970 normal clock edition, and the GHz cersion, that is 30€ expensiever.
So my question, is the boost clock the only defference between them, and is it possible/how hard is it to OC the card to the boost clock.

Like the norm clock is 1000MHz (the normal version) and the GHz version is 1100.
So, can i buy the cheaper version, Oc it to 1100 and save money?

Ok, the 3072mb GDDR5 memory is 5500MHz in the normal, and 6000 on the ghz. So is that also overclockable.

:bounce: 

The HD7970 GHz is just clocked faster than the normal HD7970. You can EASILY oc a normal version to the GHz version or even BIOS flash some cards to the GHz edition. So yes save some moeny and get the normal one.

BUT I would suggest posting links to these card. If the GHz Edition has a better cooler then it may be worth the extra 30 dollars. You really need to avoid getting a reference design.

You can also OC the VRAM to 6000MHz easily.
Related resources
January 8, 2013 7:11:38 PM

Novuake said:
The HD7970 GHz is just clocked faster than the normal HD7970. You can EASILY oc a normal version to the GHz version or even BIOS flash some cards to the GHz edition. So yes save some moeny and get the normal one.

BUT I would suggest posting links to these card. If the GHz Edition has a better cooler then it may be worth the extra 30 dollars. You really need to avoid getting a reference design.

You can also OC the VRAM to 6000MHz easily.

Pretty much this.

And I've never seen a 7970 that wouldn't overclock to GHz edition levels... IMO if all else is equal between the cards, you're better off getting the normal 7970 and overclocking yourself. If the GHz edition is a nicer PCB/cooler, it would be worth it to get that.
January 8, 2013 7:16:35 PM

BigMack70 said:
Pretty much this.

And I've never seen a 7970 that wouldn't overclock to GHz edition levels... IMO if all else is equal between the cards, you're better off getting the normal 7970 and overclocking yourself. If the GHz edition is a nicer PCB/cooler, it would be worth it to get that.

We seem to agree in every thread. LOL
Glad to see someone has some sense and can be indifferent to fanboyism...
January 8, 2013 8:01:05 PM

Just keep in mind that you void your warranty (if that maters to you) the second you OC any GPU. So the GHZ edition cards give you higher clock rates without voiding the warranty.
January 8, 2013 9:42:49 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
Just keep in mind that you void your warranty (if that maters to you) the second you OC any GPU. So the GHZ edition cards give you higher clock rates without voiding the warranty.

That's why you go EVGA because they dont care if you OC or not and still has the warranty!
January 8, 2013 9:48:00 PM

So long as you're not doing any physical modding of the card, aren't flashing the BIOS, and aren't melting anything, they can't tell if you OC'd a card or not.
January 8, 2013 10:33:41 PM

legendkiller said:
That's why you go EVGA because they dont care if you OC or not and still has the warranty!

that might be the case but EVGA Doesn't do AMD :(  :( 
January 9, 2013 4:09:18 AM

Wow, thanks for all of you. I'll link the coolers, but it looks like they share the same cooling method, the 3 small coolers aka wind force 3 I think? And actually the varranty voiding is a thing.. But thanks, here are both of the cards and once again thank you:) 

http://www.jimms.fi/hae/gigabyte%207970
its a Finnish page, hope you get even half of it xD
January 9, 2013 5:20:29 AM

Mmatuu said:
Wow, thanks for all of you. I'll link the coolers, but it looks like they share the same cooling method, the 3 small coolers aka wind force 3 I think? And actually the varranty voiding is a thing.. But thanks, here are both of the cards and once again thank you:) 

http://www.jimms.fi/hae/gigabyte%207970
its a Finnish page, hope you get even half of it xD

Yip those are great cards.
!