Finalizing Build

kkita727

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Hello all,
I'm looking to finalize my build for purchase today or tomorrow and just wanted to have someone look things over before purchase.

I plan to do a moderate overclock, but not until the future, which is why I haven't included an additional cooler.

This build is mainly for gaming with a single 1080p monitor. I don't plan to use SLI/Crossfire.

I already have purchased the following:

Monitor: 1080p 23-inch
GPU: Sapphire Flex Radeon 7950 HD 3GB W/ Boost
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified

Still need:

CPU:
Intel Core i5 Processor i5-3570K - $214 @ Superbiiz.com

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $109 @ Newegg.com

Ram:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 - Free w/ mobo @ Newegg.com

Storage:
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $64 @ Newegg.com

Storage:
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $94 @ Newegg.com

Dvd:
LITE-ON DVD Burner - $20 @ Newegg.com

Thanks for your help!

Solution
I don't have any complains. Looks like a good build to me. I only have a few suggestions that aren't a big deal.

Optical: I've seen to many Lite-On drives die. I stay away from them and usually go ASUS. However, Sony, LG, or Samsung are all just as good. Since they are only like $20 it's not a big deal.

CPU Cooler: if you have a "K" model, consider a better cooler. I know you said you plan to do a future install of a cooler, but the best time to install a cooler is when you have the motherboard out because of the backplate you need to stall. The Cooler Master 212+ Evo is a good bang for the buck. Even at a stock speed it is a very quiet cooler. I installed on on an i5 because the stock cooler was to loud when under heavy load...
I don't have any complains. Looks like a good build to me. I only have a few suggestions that aren't a big deal.

Optical: I've seen to many Lite-On drives die. I stay away from them and usually go ASUS. However, Sony, LG, or Samsung are all just as good. Since they are only like $20 it's not a big deal.

CPU Cooler: if you have a "K" model, consider a better cooler. I know you said you plan to do a future install of a cooler, but the best time to install a cooler is when you have the motherboard out because of the backplate you need to stall. The Cooler Master 212+ Evo is a good bang for the buck. Even at a stock speed it is a very quiet cooler. I installed on on an i5 because the stock cooler was to loud when under heavy load. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Storage. 120GB is perfectly fine, however, I will caution that I have a 240GB and you do not realize how much space modern games consume on a hard drive until you get an SSD. I have about a dozen games installed and only have 60GB left on my SSD. Max Payne 3 alone is 30GB and most are between 10-20GB for the modern titles. Luckily I have alot through STEAM and backup the ones I don't currently play to my data drive, but for Origin and individually installed games I leave them on in case I play. Just something to think about. $75 more will get you a 256GB drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147189

Solution

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Everything looks fine, for SuperBiiz, they have a $5 coupon "SHOPTECH" so use that, yesterday they had a $10 off coupon :(. OEM versions dont come with stock coolers.

If you do plan to OC a good amount, go with either a bigger air cooler, or a closed loop liquid cooling system like the Corsair H-series. Otherwise, the Hyper 212+ evo is a great value cooler that can cool a small/moderate OC as well.

kkita727

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Thank you both for the suggestions!

From what I have read, the Cooler Master 212+ Evo just barely doesn't fit in a blackhawk case, forcing you to remove the side case fan. Is this not really much of a concern or would there be a better alternative?

Thanks.

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
That was a similar case with me with my Antec900 and my hyper 212+. Eventually just took off the side fan since i didnt need it, but you can always put that on the other side of the heatsink for a push/pull configuration (but best to have both fans be similar in cfm levels). Shouldn't matter too much if you removed the side fan.

the liquid CPU coolers are small (just take up space in the exhaust fan area for fan(1 or 2) and the radiator, but clearance is no problem.