Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Suggestions for 5040 hard drive upgrade

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:42:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard drive is in the
40 hour model?

I was thinking something like this:


Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit 5
per customer)
for $74.50.

- Specifications -

Capacity: 80GB
Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
Buffer: 2MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Remark: OEM Drive only

Model#: 6Y080L0
Item#: N82E16822144132

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:42:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Bob in CT wrote:
> I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
> suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
> drive is in the 40 hour model?

40 gig
>
> I was thinking something like this:
>
>
> Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit
> 5 per customer)
> for $74.50.
>

kind of a waste of time. I generally use the Maxtor 250gig. The 160gig
frequently is found for killer prices and is probably the best value point.




----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:42:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Bob in CT wrote:
> I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
> suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
> drive is in the 40 hour model?
>
> I was thinking something like this:
>
>
> Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit
> 5 per customer)
> for $74.50.
>
> - Specifications -
>
> Capacity: 80GB
> Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
> Buffer: 2MB
> Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
> Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
> Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
> Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
> Remark: OEM Drive only
>
> Model#: 6Y080L0
> Item#: N82E16822144132
>

It would be nice to make a group buy of 250GB drives. Is there a web
site that organizes 'flash mob consumers'?
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:46:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:42:24 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
wrote:

> I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
> suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
> drive is in the 40 hour model?
>
> I was thinking something like this:
>
>
> Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit
> 5 per customer)
> for $74.50.
>
> - Specifications -
>
> Capacity: 80GB
> Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
> Buffer: 2MB
> Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
> Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
> Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
> Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
> Remark: OEM Drive only
>
> Model#: 6Y080L0
> Item#: N82E16822144132
>

By the way, this is from www.newegg.com.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 1:12:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:58:17 -0400, Tony D <me@nospam.com> wrote:

> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
>> suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
>> drive is in the 40 hour model?
>
> 40 gig
>>
>> I was thinking something like this:
>>
>> Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only
>> (limit 5 per customer) for $74.50.
>>
>
> kind of a waste of time. I generally use the Maxtor 250gig. The 160gig
> frequently is found for killer prices and is probably the best value
> point.
>


You're right -- 80 gig is useless. Thanks! I'll search for the 160 gig
Maxtor.



--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:13:55 -0400, Cult of Nurse's <health@health.com>
wrote:

>
>
> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
>> suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
>> drive is in the 40 hour model?
>>
>> I was thinking something like this:
>>
>> Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only
>> (limit 5 per customer) for $74.50.
>>
>> - Specifications -
>>
>> Capacity: 80GB
>> Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
>> Buffer: 2MB
>> Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
>> Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
>> Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
>> Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
>> Remark: OEM Drive only Model#: 6Y080L0
>> Item#: N82E16822144132
>>
>
> It would be nice to make a group buy of 250GB drives. Is there a web
> site that organizes 'flash mob consumers'?
>

I found a 250gb hard drive for $160:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3700356

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 5:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:42:24 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
>for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard drive is in the
>40 hour model?
>

In Replays, the disk size (in GB) is the same as the claimed number of
hours. That seems to be true for all the different models I've had.

>I was thinking something like this:
>
>
>Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit 5
>per customer)
>for $74.50.
>
>- Specifications -
>
>Capacity: 80GB
>Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
>Buffer: 2MB
>Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
>Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
>Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
>Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
>Remark: OEM Drive only
>
>Model#: 6Y080L0
>Item#: N82E16822144132

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:50:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:42:24 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
>>suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
>>drive is in the 40 hour model?
>>
>
> In Replays, the disk size (in GB) is the same as the claimed number of
> hours. That seems to be true for all the different models I've had.

In Standard mode only, remember. About half that in Medium and about 35%
in High quality.

I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my 32"
Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.


Jeff
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 5:43:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:50:47 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
<j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:42:24 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
>>>suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
>>>drive is in the 40 hour model?
>>>
>>
>> In Replays, the disk size (in GB) is the same as the claimed number of
>> hours. That seems to be true for all the different models I've had.
>
> In Standard mode only, remember. About half that in Medium and about 35%
>in High quality.
>

Right. It's Standard that Replay uses when they tell you the
capactiies.

> I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my 32"
>Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.
>

How good is the source you're recording?

>
>Jeff
>

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 4:28:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:50:47 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
><j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

>> I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my
>> 32"
>>Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.

> How good is the source you're recording?

I usually record only the analog signals on my cable TV (channels 2-99),
but I am using the Digital Cable Box as an external tuner, which provides a
better picture than the 5040's internal tuner.

However, I haven't noticed a difference on the digital signals I have
recorded.


Jeff
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 3:33:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:28:16 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
<j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:50:47 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
>><j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>> I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my
>>> 32"
>>>Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.
>
>> How good is the source you're recording?
>
> I usually record only the analog signals on my cable TV (channels 2-99),

There seem to be standards for up to 159 (and most TVs tune up to
125), although I haven't seen any one above 99 used.

>but I am using the Digital Cable Box as an external tuner, which provides a
>better picture than the 5040's internal tuner.
>

I might, if I had a digital box. I prefer satellite for those
channels, and just have limited basic cable ($11/month) for locals.

> However, I haven't noticed a difference on the digital signals I have
>recorded.
>
>
>Jeff

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
!