Sign in with
Your question

Final countdown, $1200 build, advice appreciated

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2013 5:08:35 PM

I posted a $1000 build yesterday but after wasting most of the night tweaking things around, I felt more comfortable with this build and it's long term viability. (An extra $200 fits in my budget)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($155.52 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1164.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 13:57 EST-0500)

I plan to do some moderate overclocking and as enticing as the Noctua NH-D14 was it seems like I won't really be benefitting from it unless I go HAM and push my computer to the limits. It also seemed like if I was going to overclock at the range a Noctua would benefit me, I'd have to get a better MoBoard anyway which would push the budget past what I'm comfortable with. So I feel confident that the 212 Evo will handle moderate overclocking fine.

My only quandary is the SSD. My original build I had a 120gb SSD w/ a 500gb HDD for essentially the same price as this 250gb. But considering load times of games is part of the reason I'm getting an SSD I figured with the size of games these days and the imprint of windows on the SSD, I was going to run out of room pretty fast. Granted, another 130gb isn't an enormous amount, but I feel it'll last me a while and since I already have a 1TB External that I can hold all of my media, it will be a while before I fill the 250 up with games and will eventually just get a second internal drive when the space is needed. Is the extra space on the SSD worth it?

A critique of any component is welcome, but I feel pretty good about the overall build. Will order this in the next few days and am looking forward to putting this together in a few weeks.
February 26, 2013 6:55:48 PM

id get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GaIV

ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74758&promoid=1321

psu
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&promoid=1257

-cheaper ram
-much bettter CPU cooler
-better motherboard (higher quality components)
-much better SSD
-better video card. id also suggest a 7970 if you want better performance and 2 free games. but depends on which company you want to get chips from
-better case
-same psu, but lower wattage and cheaper. you dont really need 650w
-cheaper dvd drive

yeah its pretty good. just that small tweaks can be made
m
l
February 26, 2013 8:26:08 PM

TheBigTroll said:
id get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GaIV

ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74758&promoid=1321

psu
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&promoid=1257

-cheaper ram
-much bettter CPU cooler
-better motherboard (higher quality components)
-much better SSD
-better video card. id also suggest a 7970 if you want better performance and 2 free games. but depends on which company you want to get chips from
-better case
-same psu, but lower wattage and cheaper. you dont really need 650w
-cheaper dvd drive

yeah its pretty good. just that small tweaks can be made

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually deciding between that card and the EVGA, is the performance increase noticeable? Main thing that made me nervous was that people complained the Gigabyte blew a lot of hot air into the case whereas the EVGA channeled it out the back of the case. Is the heat increase not an issue at all?

I really like that case, definitely seems worth the extra $. As for the CPU cooler, if I'm just moderately overclocking do I really need anything above the 212 Evo? Seems like an Evo will handle moderate overclocking w/out a problem
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 9:08:01 PM

br3wnor said:

My only quandary is the SSD. My original build I had a 120gb SSD w/ a 500gb HDD for essentially the same price as this 250gb. But considering load times of games is part of the reason I'm getting an SSD I figured with the size of games these days and the imprint of windows on the SSD, I was going to run out of room pretty fast. Granted, another 130gb isn't an enormous amount, but I feel it'll last me a while and since I already have a 1TB External that I can hold all of my media, it will be a while before I fill the 250 up with games and will eventually just get a second internal drive when the space is needed. Is the extra space on the SSD worth it?

A critique of any component is welcome, but I feel pretty good about the overall build. Will order this in the next few days and am looking forward to putting this together in a few weeks.

Not really because SSDs slow down once you load them over 80% capacity. Happens with every drive on the market, it's not limited to one brand over the other.
m
l
February 26, 2013 10:52:04 PM

br3wnor said:
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually deciding between that card and the EVGA, is the performance increase noticeable? Main thing that made me nervous was that people complained the Gigabyte blew a lot of hot air into the case whereas the EVGA channeled it out the back of the case. Is the heat increase not an issue at all?

I really like that case, definitely seems worth the extra $. As for the CPU cooler, if I'm just moderately overclocking do I really need anything above the 212 Evo? Seems like an Evo will handle moderate overclocking w/out a problem

yes the gigabyte does blow all the hot air into the case but then i dont find that a problem. mine runs at 60c at a max overclock of 1300mhz and at 100% load for a week straight. closed coolers do help if you want to run video cards in a tight case (in which you are not in a tight case) or when you are doing SLI when the cards are right next to each other (which doesnt happen on a atx form factor board

yes the evo will handle moderate overclocks, just that id usually recommend a bigger heatsink for better temps and much better acoustics
m
l
February 26, 2013 10:59:56 PM

As in quieter?
m
l
February 26, 2013 11:38:54 PM

Alright, I think I got the final configuration. Thanks for all your help.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.06 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($60.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1197.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 20:37 EST-0500)
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:06:22 AM

change the psu back to what i suggested. cooler master psus are crap

the pct14dx (cooler i recommended) is already pretty quiet and cools well. you dont necessarily need a d14 from noctua (although nice)
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:17:02 AM

Yeah I can afford the Noctua so i figured why not. The case is huge so space won't be a problem and it seems to be one of, if not the best, air cooler you can get.
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:20:29 AM

the phanteks pc14pe is slightly better but a bit louder. your call. enjoy
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:48:35 AM

Yes, please don't get that power supply. The original Corsair you had listed is fine, and the seasonic built XFX brand one the other guy listed is even better built than the Corsair. On the other hand the cooler master supply is crap. Even without knowing anything about the brands, the fact that it is not 80 plus certified, and has the 12A split over 2 rails of only 18A lets you know it is crap. To put that into perspective the Corsair CX 430, probably the cheapest power supply worth buying, has a *single* 32A rail and probably would handle your system better.
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:58:58 AM

Thanks for the warning, definitely going back to the corsair
m
l
February 27, 2013 11:41:16 AM

the xfx is much better than the corsair cx series. wouldnt bother recommending them
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:22:49 PM

I couldn't find a hardware secrets review of the TX650, here is the same series 750W (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-TX750W-P...). Clearly not quite as good as the seasonic built supplies, but the corsair supplies 1) can supply their rated wattage 2) on a single 12v rail 3) maintain rated 80 plus efficiency and 4) won't harm your system. Compare to Coolermaster (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...), where they 1) can't supply even 75% of rated wattage 2) on multiple 12v rails 3) with efficiency dipping below 70% and 4) burning out if you actually try to pull the 600 watts it says on it, possibly taking your components with it.

Edit to add, if you mean don't get the CX430 for *this* system, I agree - it doesn't have the connectors he needs and 5-550 watt supply is more appropriate anyway. But as a recommendation for a lower budget system I disagree - it is impossible to find a better power supply for even close to the $20 it often sells for.
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:25:10 PM

Would a Seasonic 430 Watt be too low for moderate overclocking? It's $30 cheaper than the 650 watt version
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:26:46 PM

br3wnor said:
Would a Seasonic 430 Watt be too low for moderate overclocking? It's $30 cheaper than the 650 watt version

i suggested a xfx 550w for 53.99. it is built by seasonic and id use that instead of what other units you may find. 430w is a a bit low
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:28:38 PM

Honestly, it probably would be enough wattage (those power supplies are very well built and can actually supply more than rated wattage). But it doesn't have enough connectors for the video card. The XFX 550 watt linked above is seasonic built and good quality.
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:34:42 PM

Alright, sorry I'm getting everything through Amazon (No interest for 12 months) and the xfx is $73 on there so I was looking for cheaper, I'll just bite the bullet.
m
l
February 27, 2013 4:18:08 PM

just get it at us.ncix. i wouldnt spend 20 bucks extra just for no interest
m
l
February 27, 2013 4:37:53 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the xfx is much better than the corsair cx series. wouldnt bother recommending them

I'd only get a Corsair CX on like an ultra low budget build. But even then there's far better PSUs in the ~$50 range.

Quote:
I couldn't find a hardware secrets review of the TX650, here is the same series 750W (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-TX750W-P...). Clearly not quite as good as the seasonic built supplies, but the corsair supplies 1) can supply their rated wattage 2) on a single 12v rail 3) maintain rated 80 plus efficiency and 4) won't harm your system. Compare to Coolermaster (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...), where they 1) can't supply even 75% of rated wattage 2) on multiple 12v rails 3) with efficiency dipping below 70% and 4) burning out if you actually try to pull the 600 watts it says on it, possibly taking your components with it.

With budget power supplies, do all the research you can before pulling the trigger. Getting the wrong one could result in system instability and will likely lead to it blowing up on you. That's what makes sites like Hardware Secrets and Jonnyguru such valuable resources - they know their stuff and will pull apart power supplies to make sure you know what you are getting.
m
l
February 27, 2013 6:51:26 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone, all the parts are ordered, hopefully start putting this bad boy together in the next couple of weeks.
m
l
!