Sign in with
Your question

Need help with my new PC's performance

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2013 6:07:25 PM

so i built a gaming PC this week, spent hours on end setting up all the software/drivers today(motherboard video card please tell me if im missing anything). ive run far cry 3 and crysis 3 , with admittedly high expectations. but disappointing results?.

so my specs of course.

Processor: AMD 8-CORE FX-8350 4.0Ghz (4.2 Turbo)
Memory: 8x4 GB GSKILL 32GB RAM
Hard Drive: 2TB Western Digital
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit
Video Card: DIAMOND Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
Corsair H60 CPU cooler.

so i started up crysis hoping for the best but expecting maybe 20-30 fps because its such a labor intensive game.and with every thing on optimal (according to opt and recommended settings www.systemrequirementslab.com) i pass with ease. and i come out with a average 7-8 frame rate...i turn my settings all to medium and get 60 when looking at a wall , but bog down to 15 once i look to something more intensive again. so am i wrong? are my expectations way too high? please let me know. also. out of my 32GB of ram only 16GB are usable? my motherboard in the manual says it is capable of running 4x8?. thank you to who ever takes out the time to help or may be able to help. i dropped alot of money into this PC.

More about : performance

a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:14:37 PM

gimsin8 said:
so i built a gaming PC this week, spent hours on end setting up all the software/drivers today(motherboard video card please tell me if im missing anything). ive run far cry 3 and crysis 3 , with admittedly high expectations. but disappointing results?.

The ram question is an OS limitation. Windows home only supports up to 16 GB regardless of what your hardware supports. Much like 32bit only supports up to 4 (3.5 or w/e)

What are your temps looking like?
Are you certain you have downloaded/installed the latest drivers?
You are plugged into the video card not the mobo vga/dvi/hdmi interface correct?

*edit* Just to ease your mind you should get way way better frames then that. So worry not... Something is wrong just a matter of figuring it out.

Also ... what PSU do you have in that build? Did not see it listed.
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:18:27 PM

PSU an 850w AZZA,

i have gotten my video card drivers up to sate , the motherboard drivers i could not find online i only have the ones from the disk,and yes im running off the video card (hdmi) is it possible to change my usable ram limit or no? if not its not a large problem. 16 is fine for now. just would like to get this thing running right :) 
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 6:21:48 PM

thank you , very helpful :p 
and by any chance do you know if i were to get pro would i be able to do an upgrade? or have to reformat (if not i can transfer all my files via the "old windows" folder right? already got 200+ GB on this thing xD
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:23:17 PM

"the motherboard drivers i could not find online"

This could have something to do with it. Go to computer management > Device manager and see if you have any Yellow ?'s or missing drivers there. Let us know which ones and we can most likely find them online for you.

The RAM I don't' believe you can short of changing the OS to Pro; however, I could be wrong. I don't know if it's possible to create a virtual Ram drive and install apps to it... Some insight on this would be nice from someone that knows (ive never personally messed with it)
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:29:46 PM

unoriginal1 said:

This could have something to do with it. Go to computer management > Device manager and see if you have any Yellow ?'s or missing drivers there. Let us know which ones and we can most likely find them online for you.

i dont see motherboard in there.. also no yellow? what would motherboard be under if any ? or is this driver related?
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:29:54 PM

gimsin8 said:
thank you , very helpful :p 
and by any chance do you know if i were to get pro would i be able to do an upgrade? or have to reformat (if not i can transfer all my files via the "old windows" folder right? already got 200+ GB on this thing xD

You can use an anytime upgrade to go to Pro if you wish. But... If this is a gaming machine it's not going to benefit you much other then being able to see the full 32 GB is there. You typically will not use 8 GB much less 16 GB as a gaming machine. A video editing machine, or something that is setting up virtual machines etc is a different story so what your using it for comes into play here. Pro offers very few features that an "average" user would ever use. It's more or less for a business.

Here's a link to the differences as well

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/co...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:32:23 PM

gimsin8 said:
i dont see motherboard in there.. also no yellow? what would motherboard be under if any ? or is this driver related?
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

System devices. Looking for drivers for you.
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:37:33 PM

unoriginal1 said:
System devices. Looking for drivers for you.

nothing standing out, no yellow , anything specifically i should be looking for?
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:41:17 PM

oh jesus 66 files haha,
is there not a download all :s? I'm tempted to download everything but i get the feeling there's an easier way.(single download) the hot fix maybe?..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:41:43 PM

gimsin8 said:
nothing standing out, no yellow , anything specifically i should be looking for?

Naw you would notice a big yellow question mark. Get HW monitor and see what your temps look like. Cpu, Gpu etc.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:45:28 PM

gimsin8 said:
oh jesus 66 files haha,
is there not a download all :s? I'm tempted to download everything but i get the feeling there's an easier way.(single download) the hot fix maybe?..

Naw you don't need them all lol. Don't worry about the hotfix. Thats the Asus APRP Utility. Not a big deal and isn't the cause of your issue. As long as your not seeing the yellow question marks don't worry about the drivers for now.

See what your temps look like first.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 6:54:25 PM

gimsin8 said:
CPU 22C ~
video card 50C ~

K that's fine for idle. See what they are under load too. So while gaming etc.. Personally i think it's a driver issue/bios may need updating as well.

Check out this forum. read through and try some of the suggestions here and report back your findings. I have to take off for a bit for work but i'll check back when im back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/364667-28-8350-7870
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:23:23 PM

unoriginal1 said:

The RAM I don't' believe you can short of changing the OS to Pro; however, I could be wrong. I don't know if it's possible to create a virtual Ram drive and install apps to it... Some insight on this would be nice from someone that knows (ive never personally messed with it)

Creating a VRD is very easy, Just read this http://www.pcworld.com/article/260918/how_to_supercharg... . I'm using the VRD to load league of legends and internet broswers and oh man is it so much faster :sol:  .
m
l
March 1, 2013 1:20:43 AM

well ive got crysis 3 running from 25-60fps depending on the environment
, its bearable. and then i went to play call of duty with a friend and 30 seconds into the game i blue screen?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 1:26:05 PM

Blue screens are commonly due to Ram errors or Driver issues. Givin all of your symptoms im wonder if it's not your GPU driver that is giving you fits. I'd clean out the current drivers and make sure you install the most up to date drivers.

You should also probably run a Memory test and see if you get any errors.

http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
March 2, 2013 3:12:05 AM

http://www.memtest.org/ said:

http://www.memtest.org/

i will for sure run a mem test i've encountered that issue in the past.

P.S. I bought the ram as 4x8 for 32GB , and since my operating system is currently limiting me to 16GB could there be an issue related to that ? , or should i remove 2 for now? (which i will probably do anyway).

Edit*
how long would a memtest take for 32GB curious?
m
l
March 3, 2013 5:03:19 PM

Update.
ive taken out 2 sticks and put just 16GB in with my motherboards recommended spots. it seems to run a little better. but ive blue screen'd about 4 times. really getting frustrated, considering bringing it into CanadaComputers. i think when i blue screen'd last it said "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" I think, if that helps.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2013 1:13:05 PM

gimsin8 said:
Update.
ive taken out 2 sticks and put just 16GB in with my motherboards recommended spots. it seems to run a little better. but ive blue screen'd about 4 times. really getting frustrated, considering bringing it into CanadaComputers. i think when i blue screen'd last it said "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" I think, if that helps.

Def sounds like a Ram issue. Did you by chance run the memtest? You can definitely take it in if you'd like but I think you can get it solved :)  be patient you've just about narrowed it down!

Make sure your ram is configured properly as well...(although this should be the cause of BSOD) EX: slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. W/e that Mobo manual says.
m
l
March 4, 2013 4:27:57 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Def sounds like a Ram issue. Did you by chance run the memtest? You can definitely take it in if you'd like but I think you can get it solved :)  be patient you've just about narrowed it down!

Make sure your ram is configured properly as well...(although this should be the cause of BSOD) EX: slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. W/e that Mobo manual says.

no i haven't run a memtest yet. i think ill burn it to a disc and run it in my old desktop 1 stick at a time. thanks again for all the help :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2013 4:42:36 PM

gimsin8 said:
no i haven't run a memtest yet. i think ill burn it to a disc and run it in my old desktop 1 stick at a time. thanks again for all the help :) 

No problem. Make sure your old desktop supports the ram :) . I truly think you've identified the issue. If you end up ordering new Ram make sure to consult the VCL list for your mobo ;) .
m
l
March 4, 2013 5:06:17 PM

unoriginal1 said:
No problem. Make sure your old desktop supports the ram :) . I truly think you've identified the issue. If you end up ordering new Ram make sure to consult the VCL list for your mobo ;) .

so my old modo

2 x DIMM, DDR3 1333 (O.C.) / 1066 / 800 MHz
2 x DIMM, DDR2 1066 (O.C.) / 800 / 667 MHz
Dual channel, Max. 8 GB, Non-ECC, Un-buffered memory

wont work.. xD

if the ram proves to be faulty.. this means i heave to buy more anyway right? and if its not.. what does that mean?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2013 6:21:22 PM

gimsin8 said:

if the ram proves to be faulty.. this means i heave to buy more anyway right? and if its not.. what does that mean?

Yes if it fails then your looking at new ram. every mobo has a list of ram that is certified to work with it. So you'd want to refer to that when choosing new ram. Also you want to stick to 1.5v and 1600mhz and a quality brand. (crucial, gskill, corsair some of my favs)

If it passes the memtests then I would test it again in different Ram slots on the mobo to make sure that you don't have a faulty slot on the mobo its-self. (less likely)

Start your tests like you were going to with your older machine. 1 stick and one slot at a time.
m
l
March 5, 2013 12:53:07 AM

http://i.imgur.com/76xi4ZX.jpg
so far stick 1 & 2 in the recommended slots ( the ones i have been using) should i keep it running? will the tests end ? or does it keep running :s? almost at the 7 hour mark now.

*Edit*
i just noticed the "800 MHz" and "DDR2" ? does this make any difference for the test ? or could my ram have been running wrong for some reason? :s i don't really know how to read the stuff on memtest very well though so. what should i think of this? or what do you think/know of it?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2013 1:46:50 PM

This is a description off ddr3.

240-pin DIMM (same size as DDR2 but are electrically incompatible with DDR2 DIMMs and have a different key notch location). DDR3 SO-DIMMs have 204 pins.

So because of the Key notch location they "shouldn't" be able to fit. But that's weird it's showing ddr2.

Download this. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html It's called CPU-Z. It will basically tell you things like temps, what hardware you have etc. Im assuming that Memtest is having some glitch, BUT if you really do have ddr2 in their that would explain the weird issues. See what cpuz says and report back.

Btw 7 hours was plenty of time for the sticks. So those passed for sure. Let me know what CPU z says.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2013 2:06:06 PM

Just to confirm as well... Your mobo is the M5A99 or is it the M599? Im almost certain the very first post with the M599 is a typo. Just was checking what the supported memory etc was.
m
l
March 5, 2013 5:52:19 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Just to confirm as well... Your mobo is the M5A99 or is it the M599? Im almost certain the very first post with the M599 is a typo. Just was checking what the supported memory etc was.

"M5A99FX PRO R2.0"

RAM says DDR3 right on it , and manufactured feb 2013|

i use SIW likley the same as CPU-z
heres a screenshot of both SIW says some "warnings"?

http://i.imgur.com/pyTdvXz.png
m
l
March 13, 2013 10:11:49 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Is that Ram 1600 mhz? Having a hard time finding it online.

But this might just be your issue.. Check this forum out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/35767-63-memory_manag...
Same symptoms your having (BSOD low frame rates) Due to Ram timings needing to manually set.

so i went into my BIOS and my ram freq was on auto so i changed it to 1866 because my ram is 1866 (also if you try to find online this should help)
http://i.imgur.com/5ZweVhK.jpg
in BIOS
http://i.imgur.com/LMpFLiO.jpg
ran as it has for a day or two no BSOD's then it BSOD'd earlier playing online in crysis 3 (JUST as i entered a game not even full into game)
so after BSOD i take a look at my bios to be sure i saved my changes or if it changed back and find this?
http://i.imgur.com/4hdA5WF.jpg|
what? kinda threw me off
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2013 7:08:58 AM

K so the good news is were 99.99% sure the issue lies in the Ram and that the Ram is still good. Just a matter of settings.

The bad news is I have limited experience with actually changing this stuff and it varies from board to board. What i'd do at this point gimsin since we have so many comments on here and looks like no one new is visiting. Start a new thread. Briefly describe your bsod issues and what you changed in the bios (what you showed me on your last post) I know for certain there's members here that will walk you through how to set it all up properly and fix this once and for all. Ive seen posts like this before, I just haven't paid that much attention since Ive never personally ran into the issue.

But at least you figured it out without spending money on a pc repair shop. Congrats man.
m
l
!