7970 sapphire 3gb OC work only 50%

hey,
i have the phenom II x6 1075t with 4 gb kingston rams 1333 mhz, AMD 7970 3gb sapphire dual x, msi g-45 770 and 500 watts saga as a power supply

and i have noticed that the GPU works only 50% of his power ? many games like battlefield 3 and far cry 3, so what should i do is it becuz of my CPU or my power supply has a low watts ?
8 answers Last reply
More about 7970 sapphire work
  1. Hey,

Your 500 watt saga PSU does not seem to be very good to start off with. Also 500watts for a x6 and a hd7970 is a bit on the low power side of things. Is your GPU performing normally otherwise? By 50% of its power I assume you mean performance of the card not TDP. How many FPS do you get, and at what settings? Also it is important to make sure both of your PCI-E power connectors are connected. However you should consider getting a new power supply that can properly power that system. If the card is not getting enough power it will not run properly. Also a cheap PSU can damage your system, I would recommend getting a quality power supply from a good brand like antec, corsair, or seasonic. There are lots of good brands out there.

Hope this helps!
  2. hopefully its just going to be the psu problem cuz im afraid of that my CPU cant handle the 7970
    but when i bought that GPU it written on the requirements system that lower (( 500 psu ))
  3. 500 watts is the minimum if the PSU is a quality unit, a low end unit might not be able to output 500watts. Another thing to consider is that 500watts is the PSU requirement for a reference card. You have an overclocked version of the card so it will draw more power. However how are your frame rates?
  4. fil1p said:
    500 watts is the minimum if the PSU is a quality unit, a low end unit might not be able to output 500watts. Another thing to consider is that 500watts is the PSU requirement for a reference card. You have an overclocked version of the card so it will draw more power. However how are your frame rates?

well i have far cry 3 but 1360X768 cuz my screen is old though
    anyways 30 - 45 and sometimes it goes below the 30 fps unfortunately
    do you think that if i got a new Power supply it will fix this problem ?
  5. ultra settings
  6. That is rather strange as at that resolution those frame rates are indeed low. Getting a new power supply is a good idea anyway. Cheap units can cause trouble, and yours is a bit underpowered for your setup. However you should make sure the card itself is functioning properly. Do you have a friend or someone who could test the card in a different system for you?
  7. i wanna make sure that the power supply upgrade will help to solve it but my question is does my CPU capable to handle the 7970 ghz or not ?
    unfortunately nope i dont have anyone can help me with this
  8. fil1p said:
    That is rather strange as at that resolution those frame rates are indeed low. Getting a new power supply is a good idea anyway. Cheap units can cause trouble, and yours is a bit underpowered for your setup. However you should make sure the card itself is functioning properly. Do you have a friend or someone who could test the card in a different system for you?

i used to have 260 gtx black edition with this system and it was great but just 2 weeks ago i bought the amd 7970 ghz edition and i didnt change anything. so if my CPU cant handle this GPU then i guess i need to get the 3770k i7 with an asrock main board but if the power supply upgrade helps im going to stay put cuz i dont have that much money to upgrade it but i will put back my 260 gtx and wait for the chance
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Sapphire Graphics