Sign in with
Your question

Moving old HDD to new PC

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2013 7:07:16 PM

So i have an interesting problem here, I'm about to put together a new PC and i'm wanting to reuse the hard drive to save on money but i dont know how to do it without having to wipe all the files (but reinstall windows ofc as i know it wont work on a new motherboard+cpu set up) sadly i dont have the money to invest in a new HDD or a big enough external drive (mines only 120 gigs and i have almost 900 gigs i need to move), So am i basically going to be SoL? or is there a trick to this i don't know of?

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : moving hdd

February 26, 2013 7:26:41 PM

You really want to do a new install or you'll run into issues galore

Sometimes just booting with the old drive in a new build works so try that :p 
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:31:00 PM

stickmansam said:
You really want to do a new install or you'll run into issues galore

Sometimes just booting with the old drive in a new build works so try that :p 

not going to work i'm going from a phenom II 980 to an I5 2500k, And i know i need a fresh instal O.o i'm just not sure how to do it without wiping all my files like music tax info movies ect ect.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 7:34:56 PM

HDDs need to be retired after 3 years, IMHO. Using an old one in a new rig is risky. Trying to boot the old HDD in the new rig isn't going to work. Even if it did the OS would never activate, assuming it's W7. Faced with your situation I buy a new HDD & OS and use the old HDD as a second drive after migrating data. Sorry if you don't have the money but that's the answer.
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:38:22 PM

What you can do is to create a new partition on the drive and migrate all the stuff you want to keep to it (if you don't have enough free space to make a large enough partition, move some data to the external, shrink the original partition, grow the new data partition and repeat till done)

Then you can install windows to the old now smaller OS partition
You can then migrate all the data into the OS partition or leave it as is
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:48:25 PM

stickmansam said:
What you can do is to create a new partition on the drive and migrate all the stuff you want to keep to it (if you don't have enough free space to make a large enough partition, move some data to the external, shrink the original partition, grow the new data partition and repeat till done)

Then you can install windows to the old now smaller OS partition
You can then migrate all the data into the OS partition or leave it as is

Sounds like a plan, Also sounds like i need to do some Google reading on how to make partitions....should have enough room with how big the blasted thing is, Anyway once i have all the data i want/need to keep from the old partition i just delete the old one and all data contained therein and apply the space to the new one correct?

@ram1009 perhaps but its only a 3 month old 2 TB HDD not really willing to retire a basically new HDD :-p got it when my 1 TB drive bit the dust as it was on sale at the time
m
l
February 26, 2013 8:08:17 PM

No, you want to install windows to the first partition (the old one) and have windows install wipe that partition and then move all the data you moved into the 2nd partition back into the first one

I'm gonna go make a paint diagram of this brb :p 
m
l
February 26, 2013 8:19:47 PM

behold my mad paint skills :p 

So you want the windows parition to be about 300ishGB (for windows+programs) but keep all your data on the much larger 1700GB parition so you can install windows on a whim
m
l
!