Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GT 640 card issues.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 12:29:15 AM

Hello.

I just bought a GeForce GT 640 graphics card and I just installed it on my Dell Inspiron 530. It doesn't seem to be working as my monitor is black and won't detect the HDMI or the analog cable. My monitor works fine, b/c I had to plug it into the analog port of the integrated graphics on the CPU.

I have no idea what could be wrong. My stock PSU meets the 350 W minimum requirements, but my computer isn't detecting the newly installed hardware.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

More about : geforce 640 card issues

January 9, 2013 4:13:08 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't updated my bios yet. I'm not sure how to do that. I'll look into that part when I have more time. I also haven't uninstalled the drivers for the old AMD card. I managed to uninstall the AMD catalyst on the Vista partition.

Thanks. It looks like I have plenty of wattage left. I don't see that there would be too much of a deficit of power.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 6:01:11 PM

just go to the support section of the Dell website and you will find the BIOS update along with the other drivers.
you will also find detailed instruction on how to do that there itself.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:21:01 PM

The problem is likely not the power supply, but you should check the Asus power supply calculator to make sure your power supply is accurate. If you're still using the 350W power supply that came with the computer you should really think about upgrading, especially if you're putting in components with 350 as the minimum.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:01:20 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
just go to the support section of the Dell website and you will find the BIOS update along with the other drivers.
you will also find detailed instruction on how to do that there itself.

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that, though at the moment I'm on my Mac at school, so I'll look into it when I get back.

bradum said:
The problem is likely not the power supply, but you should check the Asus power supply calculator to make sure your power supply is accurate. If you're still using the 350W power supply that came with the computer you should really think about upgrading, especially if you're putting in components with 350 as the minimum.

That's something that I have been thinking about. Those stock power supplies are okay, but they're probably barely 75% efficient, and cheaply made. They work okay, but only okay.

I should mention that ever since I installed the GT 640 card, my PC has been having an issue when it turns on. It'll struggle to turn on, like it'll toggle on and off a few times before it turns on for good. Perhaps the motherboard is barely able to draw enough energy from the PSU power the card. I would prefer not to have to get another PSU simply b/c of what a pain it'll be to have to reconnect all the computer components only to find out my computer won't turn on, or if the new PSU doesn't fit in the case. I've never ever replaced a PSU before, but I'll do it if I have to.

I was thinking about getting this PSU: http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=63&fid=11. It seems like it would fit inside my case and it's efficient. Is an extra 30 W sufficient?
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:33:27 PM

If it seems like it's struggling to turn on that sounds like it may not be getting enough power, but it could be several other things of other things. Regardless, I'd probably look for a sale on at least a 500W. You could probably get a decent 750W for $75 if you find a good sale. If the PSU is the issue, an extra 30W might help, but if it's not it could be pretty bad for your computer. As I said before, I'd go 500 at a minimum.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 5:52:45 AM

the gt640 has a tdp of 65w...lets not start suggesting purchase yet...atleast till he has done what can be done from his own side.
also consider psu as the problem...until it is solved....but it is a good idea to go only one step at a time.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:43:21 PM

Taking bradum's comments into account, I would agree that my computer is struggling to power up w/ the new video card, so it's reasonable to believe that my computer is indeed struggling to power up. Interestingly enough, I checked the system requirements on my old card that came w/ my computer, and say that the power requirements is 400 W. Here is an image of my old card along w/ the specs: http://bit.ly/ZLQfqV. How is it that my computer was running video card w/ a PSU that didn't meet the minimum wattage for that card?

I'm thinking of opening up my computer and seeing if the card is fully seated. I may even reinstall the old card to see if it's not just the new card that's not working. Oh, and w/ a certain degree of embarrassment, I should say that in my zeal to install the GT 640 into my new computer, I broke the plastic securing bracket when attempting to remove the old card. I bent it too far. Would there be any catastrophic implications for my PC b/c of this? I mean, I didn't just try to use brute force and rip out the card from the slot — I was as delicate as possible, I even made sure to ground myself before handling the components. I just hope I didn't somehow damage my PCI-e slot or something. Yeah, I do feel like a bit of an ass.

siddharthmukul007 said:
the gt640 has a tdp of 65w...lets not start suggesting purchase yet...atleast till he has done what can be done from his own side.
also consider psu as the problem...until it is solved....but it is a good idea to go only one step at a time.

Yes, it remains to be seen if there aren't any components damaged. I just wanna know the damage (if any) before I go in again.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 4:38:04 PM

good luck with that.
for the part that you stated your psu not meeting the minimum power requirement of the previous card and still being able to run it.that is because most of the manufacturers state the power requirement at a level well above its minimum requirement to ensure that even if you have a worst psu you will still be able to run it at ease.
also depends on the other hardware you are using.
one can have a CPU with a tdp as high as 125w or as low as 25w.
card manufacturers always take the worse case scenario.
m
l
January 10, 2013 8:36:17 PM

Okay. I actually haven't installed the old card to see that it worked. I just made sure that the GT 640 was seated properly in the slot. I also went to Dell's website to install some drivers, but I couldn't update my drivers. However, my computer has finally detected the new video card, but in the properties menu for the card I get this message: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). I haven't restarted my computer yet, so just wondering if I have to do anything extra.

Also, my computer is still struggling to start up. It'll start up after it toggles on and off a few times. When restarting the computer, everything shuts off completely and the aforementioned start issues still happen. It never used to happen when I would restart.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 7:21:51 AM

how much ram do you have?
m
l
January 11, 2013 1:05:04 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
how much ram do you have?

6 GB.
m
l
January 11, 2013 1:42:05 PM

Definitely try your old card again and see if it works. If not, then it is most likely to be the damaged PCI slot if your integrated video is working fine. If it does work you might want to try your new card in a more powerful computer (if you can get your hands on one. Use a friend's perhaps). If it doesn't work in the other computer it's likely a defective card. Also, you might want to try un-installing your old graphics card drivers (and any other graphics drivers) and download/install the latest drivers for the GTX 640 from the nVidia website. <-- I'd probably try that first
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:25:35 PM

bradum said:
Definitely try your old card again and see if it works. If not, then it is most likely to be the damaged PCI slot if your integrated video is working fine. If it does work you might want to try your new card in a more powerful computer (if you can get your hands on one. Use a friend's perhaps). If it doesn't work in the other computer it's likely a defective card. Also, you might want to try un-installing your old graphics card drivers (and any other graphics drivers) and download/install the latest drivers for the GTX 640 from the nVidia website. <-- I'd probably try that first

So I reinstalled the old card and it worked fine. The computer was able to detect it, and the computer turned on like it normally does. It's only when the new card is installed do I have the start up issues that I mentioned before. I don't really have access to a more powerful computer, nor does any friend that I know of. I'm curious as to why when the new card makes my computer struggle to power up when its installed.
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:30:57 PM

There's always the chance that it's just a faulty card. Maybe take it to a local computer shop and see if they mind just sticking it in one of their test benches and see if it works. Worst case they say no.
m
l
January 11, 2013 4:28:22 PM

Yeah, I guess I could do that. If it doesn't work, I can return it to newegg.com before the 30 day window. I'll assume that the thirty day window starts when you first placed the order, rather than the date of receipt.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 4:30:52 PM

6gb of ram is more than enough for any drivers to work properly.
open task manager to see if there are any programs that are using up too much resources than required...also ensure that you have .net framework and visual c++ updated.
m
l
January 11, 2013 7:39:01 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
6gb of ram is more than enough for any drivers to work properly.
open task manager to see if there are any programs that are using up too much resources than required...also ensure that you have .net framework and visual c++ updated.

Okay. How do I go about doing that? Will this allow my computer to detect the new card?

Also, there's still the power up issue w/ the new card install. It doesn't happen w/ the old card installed.
m
l
January 11, 2013 9:38:38 PM

Another issue I've been having is w/ an SM Bus Controller not configured correctly. I don't know if this has anything to do w/ the new video card, but if it does, it should be fixed. Anyways, Windows is unable to find the driver software for that device. I have no idea what it's for.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 10:15:00 AM

firstly.....remove the battery of your mainboard for about a minute or so and then put it back again....this would reset all settings to default.

after you boot up.....update windows completely.

also download the latest drivers for your card from nvidia website and install them after a complete sweep of all previous drivers.
m
l
January 18, 2013 1:27:22 AM

Okay. I haven't really tried disconnecting the battery on the mobo. I did install a 500 W PSU, but no dice. Same problems. Is there a chance that that card itself is defective or is this simply par for the course w/ Nvidia or MSI?
m
l
January 18, 2013 3:48:32 AM

StarScar said:
Okay. I haven't really tried disconnecting the battery on the mobo. I did install a 500 W PSU, but no dice. Same problems. Is there a chance that that card itself is defective or is this simply par for the course w/ Nvidia or MSI?

It is definitely possible that the card itself is defective. That's why I was suggesting you try it in another computer.
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:25:16 AM

bradum said:
It is definitely possible that the card itself is defective. That's why I was suggesting you try it in another computer.

Unfortunately, I don't really have access to another PC to test it out on. If it's not working like it should, even w/ a more powerful PSU, then maybe it's the card. The only way to confirm this is to try it out on different computer. I definitely won't be getting anything manufactured by MSI in the future. I bought this card from MSI b/c it's cheap, but I got what I paid for.

Maybe I'll try disconnecting the battery from my mobo.
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:50:28 AM

StarScar said:
Unfortunately, I don't really have access to another PC to test it out on. If it's not working like it should, even w/ a more powerful PSU, then maybe it's the card. The only way to confirm this is to try it out on different computer. I definitely won't be getting anything manufactured by MSI in the future. I bought this card from MSI b/c it's cheap, but I got what I paid for.

Maybe I'll try disconnecting the battery from my mobo.

If there's a local computer shop near you and you bring it in they might help you out for free. If the card is faulty, feel free to do what you want... but... I was like that for a while with EVGA, had a couple faulty cards and wouldn't buy from them any more. Turns our faulty cards happen more often than you'd think. Between my own builds and ones I've done for others I've purchased 7 graphics cards, 3 of which have been faulty (2 EVGA and an ASUS) and I know a couple friends that have had issues with Gigabyte and MSI. Maybe it's just bad luck, but it happens even with the biggest brand names. Again, if it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means stay away from MSI... Just thought my experience might change your mind a little though. Good luck with your card sir.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 5:44:16 AM

get into your mobo bios to check if the card is detected there or not.....what display do you get on your monitor?
remember that you might have to switch from on board graphics to pci-e.
if even that does not work,do consider the possibility that your card is DOA.

you can than RMA your card
m
l
January 18, 2013 6:10:32 AM

bradum said:
If there's a local computer shop near you and you bring it in they might help you out for free. If the card is faulty, feel free to do what you want... but... I was like that for a while with EVGA, had a couple faulty cards and wouldn't buy from them any more. Turns our faulty cards happen more often than you'd think. Between my own builds and ones I've done for others I've purchased 7 graphics cards, 3 of which have been faulty (2 EVGA and an ASUS) and I know a couple friends that have had issues with Gigabyte and MSI. Maybe it's just bad luck, but it happens even with the biggest brand names. Again, if it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means stay away from MSI... Just thought my experience might change your mind a little though. Good luck with your card sir.

Coincidentally, I was thinking of getting a video card manufactured by EVGA. Maybe I could request a replacement from newegg.com and hope that that'll work. I'm guessing that you all can tell that I've never replaced a video card in my life. I didn't know that trying to getting working video card was somewhat like playing Russian roulette, as it were.

I'm wondering if maybe my motherboard can't run the card. I think I have a 0FM586 motherboard. That's the only other stock mobo for the Inspiron 530 that can mount an Intel Core2 Quad CPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 11:23:22 AM

well your mobo can support any pci-e card....you don't need to worry about that
m
l
January 19, 2013 2:18:04 AM

Oh, another thing I didn't mention after I had installed the new PSU. I actually had my old PSU disconnected before I removed it for a few days. The DC cables are really long. They're probably best suited for a bigger computer case. I had to remove one of my optical drives — which hasn't been working for over two years — to store all the unneeded cables and slack.

Still the same issues w/ powering up the computer. When I restarted the computer, a black screen appeared stating that it had detected an "add-on card" and that I should disconnect the monitor cable from the integrated graphics card and plug it into the new video card. Problem is that my monitor didn't detect the card, even the HDMI. It's not being detected in BIOS. It seems like the card is having difficulties functioning correctly. Definitely nothing wrong w/ my PCI-e slot.

I can't see the new video card in the BIOS.

Additional information of my PC are as follows:

BIOS info: 1.0.18
Service tag: 2P08HG1
Processor L2 Cache: 8192KB
Memory installed: 6144MB
Memory available: 6134MB
Memory speed: 800 MHz
Memory channel mode: Dual
Memory tech: DDR2 SDRAM

I might as well RMA for a replacement, or maybe I'll get a GeForce GTX 650 or GTX 550 Ti.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 6:44:07 PM

well there is no way that your monitor will not detect the card...your BIOS does detect the card being plugged in since you get the notification of an addon card.
there is a high possibility that the card is faulty in some way.
RMA your card
m
l
January 19, 2013 8:23:42 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
well there is no way that your monitor will not detect the card...your BIOS does detect the card being plugged in since you get the notification of an addon card.
there is a high possibility that the card is faulty in some way.
RMA your card

Excellent. I'll get right on that. I'm just wondering whether I should merely get a replacement, or get a better card like a GTX 650 or 550 Ti. Maybe it's too much for my CPU. I should probably just get a replacement. I just wanna be able to play FO3 and FO:NV on high settings, but I'm also anticipating Wasteland 2, so it would be good to have a decent card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2013 12:42:24 PM

the gtx 650 is a pretty card.....if you are planning to upgrade.

but in that case it would be better if you could tell what the other system specs are???
m
l
January 22, 2013 5:17:05 PM

Sure.

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 32-bit (dual boot)
Current GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3650
Disk Drive: ST3750630AS ATA 600 GB
PSU: 500 W Corsair GS

Everything is stock except the PSU. The Radeon came w/ the build. I'm currently using integrated graphics since I haven't bothered putting back the old video card since I've RMA'd the new card.
m
l
January 22, 2013 5:18:31 PM

No its failing the video memery is faling my gt 620 did this
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 7:20:41 PM

you should be good with the gtx 650.
your other system specs are good enough.
all the best.

another small question.how did you get this 6gb of ram?
3x2gb or 4gb+2gb?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 10:17:29 PM

I also forgot to ask you 1 more thing...your "BIOS info 1.0.18"
is this the latest one you got at Dell web site?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 11:40:05 PM

GRRR, sometimes I hate Dell too much.

I think I found an answer on Dell forums scroll down to the end http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

This is about XPS 435 which was produced at about the same time as Inspiron 530

"I've recently found the problem after talking to Dell tech support all day. Apparently the motherboard manufacturer has cut a deal with ATI and the motherboards manufacturer for June and later are being locked to ATI cards only. Any nvidia cards are apparently being assigned wrong IRQ values and are thus unable to work.

6:53:30 PM Agent
its actually the manufacturer of the boards, its an agreement between the manufacturers, now since ATI did win the bidding for the default cards on the board, then it was defaulted to carry their cards.
6:54:35 PM Agent
the card should be compatible but since the boards that shipped out are the latest one's its possible that the "lock" took effect"

And the solution

"Ended up finding a solution, finally. Since the motherboard manufacturer is blocking Nvidia cards by messing with the IRQ settings, I flashed my BIOS from A09 back to A07 from the Dell driver support site and the new card works just fine."

So, basically you would need to get multiple versions of BIOS and try to go back, or forward from your current one.

Inspiron 530 Drivers page, just scroll down to BIOS and get all 3 versions http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/in...

Get CPUID same as CPUZ at http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html find your BIOS version (under mainboard tab)

And most likely flash BIOS back, as the problem occurred around June 2009 (I know that the latest BIOS is March 2009), but this is the closest so far I was able to find, and the problem matches yours.
m
l
January 25, 2013 12:06:34 AM

Quote:
you should be good with the gtx 650.
your other system specs are good enough.
all the best.

another small question.how did you get this 6gb of ram?
3x2gb or 4gb+2gb?

Sounds good. Thanks a lot.

Ah, yes. I recently found out that the mobo I have supports a maximum of 4GB, but when I was ordering my computer from Dell and doing the usual customization for it, I was given the option to have 6GB of RAM on my PC. I guess a 3x2GB configuration is what's being used. I can't be sure, though. I haven't looked at the RAM sticks in my mobo.

siddharthmukul007 said:
I also forgot to ask you 1 more thing...your "BIOS info 1.0.18"
is this the latest one you got at Dell web site?

That's the latest BIOS update I got from Dell.
m
l
January 25, 2013 12:14:54 AM

Kisianik, I'm gonna look into this. I've successfully RMA'd my GT 640, and I'll end up getting a GTX 650. I'll see if I have the same issues I did w/ the new card — once I get it — that I did w/ the GT 640. Hopefully, I'll be able to install it w/ no problems, but if I do encounter the same problem I've been having w/ the GT 640, then I'll try to flash my BIOS back.
m
l
January 25, 2013 12:37:30 AM

Kisianik said:
Inspiron 530 MT does support 8gb [4 x 2gb modules], providing the 530 has a Dell/FoxConn G33m03 motherboard.

Look here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

If it is different motherboard and it is Inspiron 530 system, as opposed to a 530a or 530c system, the max RAM is 4 GB. The other 2 can manage 8 GB.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

Then it just might be that that is actually the kind of mobo I have. The OFM586 and the G33m03 do look very similar.
m
l
January 26, 2013 2:14:41 AM

So I got CPU-Z and I'll list the information and specs from it so it'll all be in one post.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield) 2.40 GHz
BIOS info: 1.0.18 (latest)
Motherboard: OFM586
Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 32-bit (dual boot on a single HDD)
Processor L2 Cache: 8192KB
Memory installed: 6144MB
Memory available: 6134MB
Memory speed: 800 MHz
Memory channel mode: Dual
Memory tech: DDR2 SDRAM
It would appear that my RAM is as follows: (2x2GB) + (2x1GB)
PSU: 500 W Corsair GS

Please let me know if I'm leaving out anything important.

So, my mobo is actually a mobo that is supposed to have a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, despite the fact that I have 6 GB of RAM.

If indeed my mobo has been designed to lockout non-ATI cards, then I would either need to flash my BIOS back to 07, or buy a new mobo. The former would probably be the easiest thing to do. I just worry of the possibility that this might not work for some reason. Suffice it to say that I probably won't be going w/ Dell when it comes to getting pre-built PCs, or any other company for that matter.

Also, since my board seems to be friendly towards ATI cards, another option could be to get a Radeon HD 7770. The only problem w/ this is that it requires a minimum of 4 GB of RAM and the OS is already using 2 GB of RAM, so wouldn't that make it impossible to run a game as well b/c there wouldn't be enough RAM to allocate for gaming?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 3:20:23 PM

Flash bios back to 07 year, this is the easiest thing to do. Now regarding RAM, it was found that in different Dell models depending on the emotions of the trolls inside m
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 3:29:50 PM

Flash bios back to 07 year, this is the easiest thing to do. Now regarding RAM, it was found that in different Dell models depending on the emotions of the trolls inside motherboard RAM could be maxed out at surprising sizes, in my case for an example, total RAM supported is 8 GB, however I know now that the maximum RAM is 16 GB, so the yours, maybe latest BIOS gives you 8 GB, and when you flash back, you may get support for NVIDIA, but loose RAM to 4 GB instead of 8 GB. So be ready, just in case, if this is going to be the issue, you may consider new MOBO (and you will need new retail copy of windows). Typing from iPhone, so please pardon me for wall of text. LOL.
m
l
January 26, 2013 8:46:56 PM

I'll try flashing back my BIOS to 07. Although, I'll assume that just b/c BIOS is back to 07, doesn't guarantee that it'll support NVIDIA cards. I'd just hate to get a new NVIDIA card and find out that I'm still having the same issues. I'll see how much usable RAM if have on o7 BIOS. 4 GB of RAM is not enough w/ the OS and video card taking up 3 GB of RAM. That leaves only 1 GB of RAM for gaming, and that's not enough.

If I do have to get a new mobo, I guess I can get one that has an Intel 775 socket. That way I won't have to get a brand new CPU. I do have a retail version of Windows 7. My computer came from Dell w/ Vista 64bit. A few years ago my cousin got me a free copy of windows 7 32. It was free b/c the university he goes to has some sort of special deal w/ Microsoft that let's students get Windows for free.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 5:27:52 AM

ok...let me make it clear to you.

i really don't understand how your card will use your system memory. your card already has a vram of 1 or 2gb and does not use system memory for graphic processing.

also 32bit windows supports a maximum if 4gb system memory 2^32 whereas 64bit supports a max of 128Gb 2^64
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:47:05 AM

siddharthmukul007 said:
ok...let me make it clear to you.

i really don't understand how your card will use your system memory. your card already has a vram of 1 or 2gb and does not use system memory for graphic processing.

also 32bit windows supports a maximum if 4gb system memory 2^32 whereas 64bit supports a max of 128Gb 2^64

Oh, yeah. That's right. Video cards come w/ their own RAM modules. I found that out when researching video cards. In any even, I actually managed to find a card that worked w/ my PC. It is an Asus Radeon HD 7770. It's not bad, but the inside of my PC is a bit crowded now. Those cables from the new PSU are pretty long for a case of my size. It's obvious that they were meant for bigger cases. I might have to upgrade to a bigger case w/ more room and better airflow, but that's probably best left for another thread. Either way, the unused cables and slack have been stuffed behind the slot where there used to be an optical drive.

I'm still a bit confused about the differences between a 32bit and 64bit Windows. I just go rid of my 64bit Windows partition b/c the driver for the new video card doesn't work w/ Vista. According to the software that came w/ my new video card, it works on Windows XP, but completely skips over Vista, lol. Anyways, now I'm using the Windows 7 32bit. I'll check it again, but I believe that when I checked to see how much RAM I have while on Windows 7 was still the same 6GB. Maybe I can get a Windows XP 64bit OS for cheap. I don't know.

Anyways, I'd like to thank everybody for their advice and assistance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 2:10:10 PM

I don't know how you are getting 6gb ram on a 32bit Windows.
try checking on the task manager for usable physical memory.
it should be 4096 mb.

good for you if you are somehow getting otherwise

all the best
m
l
!