Remote Connection?

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
One small problem, I set up a remote connection with another pc i have all the time.. when i try to connect to my Uncle's PC there's a problem...says it can't find it or something...Why can i connect to my pc downstairs so easily and can't connect to my Uncles.. We Checked all Settings over and over??

Thanks/Rob

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
What kinda connection are you using? Ethernet LAN, Wireless, PNA, 56K modems, serial cable?

Are you just trying to share files with each PC? are you using remote desktops?

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well, we were just trying to get connected to see how it works and [-peep-], I guess look at each others HD's, Both have Cable Modem..

Double-check all IP addresses, computer names and workgroup names. Make sure file sharing is installed on all of the networked machines. The NIC in your uncle's machine may possibly be defective as well.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well he connects to another PC all the time.. Thats the problem, when i enter his ip or C-Name, it has a problem with it!!!

Thanks/Rob

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
You both have cable modems? so is your PC at your house and his PC at his house? or are the both of you sharing one cable modem?

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
No, I have My Own cable Modem Setup at my house...and he lives in his own house like 45 minutes away and he also has cable modem..but for some reason when i put in his IP or PC name, it don't like it..and same for him when he Enters my Info

rob,

What are you connecting with? Telnet? Hyperterminal? pcAnywhere? Games? Do you have a firewall?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
If your doing it the way I think your doing it, its not gunna work that way. And even If you did get it working, thats a HUGE security risk if you share files like that over the internet. Making your computer wide open to hacks...

Probably your safest way is for each of you to setup a small FTP server. That way you could safely share files between the two computers.

or

If you both have Win98 or better, the easiest way to connect the two is to use NetMeeting. It can be password protected, you can share desktops, files, chat and even webcam.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
So you just access (or try to) each others pc's just like you would on a lan??? maybe a search fopr "port 139" on google may change your mind about that!, I SOOO hope you arent running windows 98, I presume that if you have a firewall then you have opened the connection, again, I hope you have allowed only your uncles (and he yours) ip access.
Take this, you are on a 98/me system, I grab your ip from icq or whatever, and helloooooo I see all your shares in 2 seconds flat.if you are on 2k, things wont be as easy (unless you have guest account on) but even so, you really are asking for it, imagine if your c:\ drive is shared??? FULL access to your entire pc!!!!!!!!!! come on dude, think about it

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?