Sign in with
Your question

Whats backlight bleeding?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 2:32:03 AM

is it a bad thing? can it hurt my pc? and my monitor? can it affect the gaming>]? thanks
January 9, 2013 2:35:24 AM

When your Monitor. Usually a LCD. The lighting leaks around the screen. Usually in the corners and sides of the screen.
m
l
January 9, 2013 2:36:52 AM

how do i fix it? i have that on my screen
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 2:43:32 AM

Its your monitor. If its under warranty, get it replaced.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2013 2:55:48 AM

Not quite. Perhaps the biggest issue with LCDs is how they work. They use a light behind the panel and facing the screen. Used to be CCFL (I think...), now the newer ones use LEDs. Because there is a light ALWAYS pointed at the screen its impossible for an LCD to show true black. And its harder for them to accurately do colors.

Bleeding is an amount of the backlight that comes through. Some will always come through. It won't hurt your PC or monitor, but it will "wash out" the colors. You want to find a monitor with the lowest levels of bleeding/bleed through, normally LED models.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
January 9, 2013 3:25:05 AM

All LCD (and "LED") monitors suffer from some degree of backlight bleeding. It is a design / technological limitation that you simply must live with and hopefully the backlight bleeding is so slight that you do not notice it. It's kinda like saying a CRT monitor is big, heavy, and power hungry because of it's design / technological limitation.

As pointed out by 474554b, when the monitor is on the backlight is always on as well. Even when the monitor is displaying black the backlight is still on. Traditional LCD monitors uses CCFL (florescent) lamps and they are placed directly behind the LCD panel. This is referred to as a full array backlight. Inexpensive monitors can have a few a 2 CCFL lamps while more expensive ones can have as many as 7 CCFL lamps which helps with uniformity. That is the distribution of light across the entire screen, the more uniformity the less likely you will notice some parts of monitor being slightly brighter than other parts.

"LED" monitors are simply LCD monitors with LED backlight. The difference is the LEDs are not place directly behind the LCD panel. They are placed around the edges which is why they were originally advertised as edge lit monitors. This reduces the weight, thickness and power consumption. However, you may notice more backlight bleeding around the edges because it is not a tight fit.

Backlight bleeding does not harm the monitor in anyway. However, depending on how much bleeding there is, you may find it annoying.

The above also applies to LCD or "LED" HDTVs. But does not applies to plasma HDTVs since that is a different technology.
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:45:01 AM

i think i will go return it and get another one the only problem is i need to tell my dad to take me there i have school lol
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2013 5:53:36 AM

Why return it? All panels have this.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
January 9, 2013 2:00:27 PM

The best thing to do is to take a couple of camera shots of the monitor and post here.

This should be done in a darkroom (no lights), the monitor should be on and displaying a black screen; such as a black tile that is stretched to fill the entire screen. Set the monitor to 50% contrast and 50% brightness. Take a snapshot with your camera with the flash turned off.
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:09:16 AM

still anyway i have to return it the orther problems so ya it doesnt mattter then i have to drop it off to the viewsonic warehouse witch isnt to far thanks
m
l
!