Sign in with
Your question

Which is more demanding Far Cry 3 or Battlefield 3?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 2:47:39 AM

In terms of graphics and processing power required.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:04:47 AM

Far Cry 3 is more Demanding.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:15:48 AM

Soda-88 said:
Outdated info, FC3 performance has been severely improved with latest drivers from both Nvidia and AMD.

Are you saying Far Cry 3 now runs faster than BF3 then? If not, you're not really helping.
January 9, 2013 9:16:45 AM

It surely is Far Cry 3....
I used to run BF3 smoothly on a 5750 at high settings...
Whereas Far Cry 3 runs smooth only at high settings on my new GTX 660... no ultra :( 
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:20:31 AM

sam_p_lay said:
You may find these useful:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/far-cry-3-performance-ben...

And

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-79...

The last chart on each of those links is the game maxed at 5760x1080 and AA (so as demanding as it gets).

Looks like Far Cry 3 to me.

battlefield 3 performance sucks in my hd6850 at 1080p....do you think its about time i upgraded my gpu?
or should i wait for the 8series?
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:23:16 AM

siddharthmukul007 said:
battlefield 3 performance sucks in my hd6850 at 1080p....do you think its about time i upgraded my gpu?
or should i wait for the 8series?

You should surely Wait till 8000 series or GTX700

Or then, you can get a Cheaper 7000 or GTX600 series when Next-Gen arrives.
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:23:55 AM

Far Cry 3 has been one of the more demanding games at the moment. There are just things you can't due to max out the game on mid level cards you need a card with real power to max things out. On the other hand with BF3 you have different series of cards that have come out through the time frame of when BF3 originally came out. So you are really comparing a older game which is weird saying and Far Cry 3 which has been new. If you look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performan... you'll see unless you are running a higher CPU you will probably run into frame issues which however as you see here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph... the cpu processing power for bf3 is a bit more lax and easier for most people to chomp down on. Far Cry 3 to me is the clear winner in take the demands and pushing hardware to the limit.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:27:50 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
You should surely Wait till 8000 series or GTX700

Or then, you can get a Cheaper 7000 or GTX600 series when Next-Gen arrives.

+1 to that. I'm in a similar situation to you, but I'm gonna wait. Not long now :-) And plenty of easy-to-run stuff to play in the meantime that I missed at the time (gonna try Wolfenstein when I finish Dishonoured, and probably Far Cry 2 also).
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:31:33 AM

He/she hasn't really said they are looking for a new card to deal with a more demanding game. I think its just for sake of argument this thread. I do agree though that the next gen cards will be the cards to really optimize these more recent games that have come out and the METRO game when it comes out soon.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:39:21 AM

This is true bigshootr, was just in response to Sumukh/Sidd about Sidd's/my own situation :-) I think Crysis 3 will be the decider. Any card that can max that should max anything for at least 2013.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:49:06 AM

Demanding doesn't mean better. GTA IV is incredibly demanding because its extremely unoptimized. I don't understand why Far Cry 3 is intensive, most of the textures are utter crap and textures like load within 15 metres of the player.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:51:30 AM

Crysis series have always been a Decider.
They just melt the PCs.

If you can Play Crysis, you can Play anything

I wonder what is the next CryEngine 3 Game... :) 
Its the "Graphically Best" Engine till now.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:25:39 AM

JJ1217 said:
Demanding doesn't mean better. GTA IV is incredibly demanding because its extremely unoptimized. I don't understand why Far Cry 3 is intensive, most of the textures are utter crap and textures like load within 15 metres of the player.

Big +1 to this. OP doesn't necessarily imply that's what they're thinking, but it's well-worth saying anyway. GTA4 was an absolute pig and Rockstar should be ashamed. Max Payne 3 was good stuff though, so hopefully GTA5 will be too.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 12:43:04 PM

@sam....even i am looking at crysis.....but i m also expecting big things from gtaV

a card that can max out both should be safe bet :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 12:45:04 PM

Agreed! I'm hoping GTA5 won't be like GTA4 (interms of both gameplay and lack of optimisation). If it is like GTA4 though, CPU will be hugely important again. CPU is gonna become more important for high-end gaming anyway judging from Crysis 3 alpha benches - i5 and i7 are genuinely faster for it.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 12:48:52 PM

i think i should really create a new thread for this now....what say you?
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 12:50:32 PM

Far Cry 3 is more demanding
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 12:52:26 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
i think i should really create a new thread for this now....what say you?

Go for it :-) I really think it's worth waiting for GTX700 when we're talking about a matter of months now. Depends how urgently you want to play stuff like Far Cry 3 I guess - I don't mind waiting a couple of months after Crysis 3 launches to play it. Gives time for driver issues to be worked out and patches to be released too, which are good arguments for waiting a couple of months before playing a game anyway.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 1:28:37 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Go for it :-) I really think it's worth waiting for GTX700 when we're talking about a matter of months now. Depends how urgently you want to play stuff like Far Cry 3 I guess - I don't mind waiting a couple of months after Crysis 3 launches to play it. Gives time for driver issues to be worked out and patches to be released too, which are good arguments for waiting a couple of months before playing a game anyway.

already created a poll....but with the wrong title unfortunately...(CPU instead of GPU)
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 1:46:19 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
already created a poll....but with the wrong title unfortunately...(CPU instead of GPU)

Haha woopsy :-) I'll take a look.
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:30:38 PM

derp derpa depra :)  Well I hope you guys are right and we get gta v on the pc crosses fingers?
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:39:51 PM

Well we always have done so far :-) I remember the PS2 fanboys banging on about how Vice City was gonna be PS2-exclusive. Then San Andreas was gonna be PS2-exclusive. By GTA4 I'd stopped paying attention to them.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 6:21:53 PM

pc games market is still one of the biggest...no game distributor can just ignore that.
its a revenue of billions.
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 6:36:19 PM

No I do agree that PC gaming has a larger stake in things then people realize. Pirating is probably on the downturn especially with things like Steam around. Its become like steam said
Quote:
"In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the U.S. release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty."
January 15, 2013 2:19:51 PM

The weird thing is that Far Cry 3 isn't even truly that much better Graphically than BF3. BF3 is just excellently optimized, especially for nvidia cards. They have released some patches for Far Cry 3 that claim to increase performance. Nvidia has released drivers that do as well.

So, assuming you have a decent dx 11 card you should be able to run Far Cry 3 on most high at 1080p, but ultra is going to require something in the 600 series.

In regards to pirating, I think that is has been more or less proven that games sell equally as well whether they have invasive DRM or not. People gonna steal things on the internet, music, television, and film industries have been dealing with it even longer than the gaming industry.

I've pirated some games in my day, but all were ones that I would have never paid 60 dollars for in the first place. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted on mediocre games in my life. Whatever it is it is a way bigger margin than the ones that i've pirated, the gaming industry is pretty damn healthy if you ask me.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 2:55:13 PM

Depending on whats going on at 1 time in a game can be rough on a gpu..That said far cry 3 is more demanding..BF3 isnt to hard on my 660ti and i had to cut some settings down on FC3. Crazy how it works tho
January 15, 2013 3:12:24 PM

Also worth noting that the company behind Far Cry also makes Crysis. This producer has always been notorious for making games that destroy graphics cards. Running Crysis on Max settings on a modern card (without mods) isn't even that breathtaking anymore. Back in 2007, you needed an insane system to run it.

Another example of the console cycles and how they unfortunately shape PC gaming. Consoles hinder PC's development. We are now at the end of the current console generation and even a modest PC graphics card trumps any console, but when the next gen comes the gap will be close once again and it will take several years for PC's to start dominating again.
January 15, 2013 3:29:49 PM

there are not that many good games coming out per year so if i pay 120-160 eur per year on the few new games no problem with it. old games can be bought in firesales on steam for little to no money :) 
anyway we get now what fc3, ac3, crysis3, gta v and just cause 3 next year

i oc my cpu and somehow got 5fps more in fc3 i am now always 41+ so 47-48avg

but still i think FC3 is more CPU+GPU bound while BF3 Multiplayer is mainly CPU bound

best
revro
January 15, 2013 3:42:22 PM

Far cry 3 looks outstanding and def has the edge over BF3. It also doesn't have 64 players shooting exploding and vehicles blowing up etc. that BF3 has. Far Cry 3 might have the best water effects I have ever seen in my entire life.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 5:49:58 PM

Crytek (the developer of Crysis) actually only developed the original Far Cry. FC2 and FC3 were handled by Ubisoft, while Crytek focus on the Crysis series.
January 15, 2013 6:30:29 PM

Correct. Ubisoft bought the rights to Farcry and then used/created a modified Crytek 1 engine called Dunia for Far Cry 2. Then edited/reworked it for Farcry 3 and called it Dunia 2.
January 15, 2013 6:41:54 PM

You guys are right. I remember Far Cry being super demanding back in the day as well. It was the first game I can remember that actually projected shadows from foliage onto you weapons. It was really crazy thing to see back then.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 7:14:59 AM

Plus bullet-wound decals on character models! Makes me sound like a bloodthirsty barbarian, but it's so rare in games to actually see bullet holes in your enemy after you pepper them with SMG fire. First game I saw that in was Quake 2, 1997. I don't get why it's so rare. Right after Quake 2, the original Half-Life demonstrated floors/walls drenched with blood while the dead scientist was lying there in the middle of all the blood with a spotless clean white lab coat. Which sucked. And it's still standard!
January 16, 2013 3:41:59 PM

Yea, Soldier of Fortune 2 was one of my favorite games due to the bullet wound/gore (modified quake 3 engine with a dev mod called ghoul 2.0 on it I believe - don't kill me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I've played it LOL). Simply amazing lol. I don't think another major game has gone that far since...unfortunately.
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 3:52:52 PM

bryjoered said:
The weird thing is that Far Cry 3 isn't even truly that much better Graphically than BF3. BF3 is just excellently optimized, especially for nvidia cards. They have released some patches for Far Cry 3 that claim to increase performance. Nvidia has released drivers that do as well.

So, assuming you have a decent dx 11 card you should be able to run Far Cry 3 on most high at 1080p, but ultra is going to require something in the 600 series.

In regards to pirating, I think that is has been more or less proven that games sell equally as well whether they have invasive DRM or not. People gonna steal things on the internet, music, television, and film industries have been dealing with it even longer than the gaming industry.

I've pirated some games in my day, but all were ones that I would have never paid 60 dollars for in the first place. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted on mediocre games in my life. Whatever it is it is a way bigger margin than the ones that i've pirated, the gaming industry is pretty damn healthy if you ask me.

As graphics continue to get closer and closer to reality, improvements are getting smaller and requiring more power. That is just the nature of things.

As far as pirating, the most pirated game I've ever heard of was a low cost, no DRM, highly praised game (World of Goo). At least in terms of percentage. You are right, pirates will pirate, but it would seem an easy target does get hit more.
January 16, 2013 5:10:47 PM

I like how Ubisoft has this completely annoying and invasive "Uplay" thing for Far Cry 3 that annoys the hell out of me as a paying customer. Steam is a DRM in of itself. It literally has stopped nothing either, both ACIII and FAR CRY 3 are readily available through bitorrent. Companies should just stop even trying, the only way to completely stop pirates is to have a system like Diablo 3 were are the files are on the server and you have to log on to play.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 9:34:46 PM

xFriarx said:
Yea, Soldier of Fortune 2 was one of my favorite games due to the bullet wound/gore (modified quake 3 engine with a dev mod called ghoul 2.0 on it I believe - don't kill me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I've played it LOL). Simply amazing lol. I don't think another major game has gone that far since...unfortunately.

+1 of glory! SoF2 is one my favourite games of all time. Just an absolutely amazing shooter.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 9:42:10 PM

Definetely FC3
January 16, 2013 10:44:31 PM

bryjoered said:
I like how Ubisoft has this completely annoying and invasive "Uplay" thing for Far Cry 3 that annoys the hell out of me as a paying customer. Steam is a DRM in of itself. It literally has stopped nothing either, both ACIII and FAR CRY 3 are readily available through bitorrent. Companies should just stop even trying, the only way to completely stop pirates is to have a system like Diablo 3 were are the files are on the server and you have to log on to play.

I know that Steam is a form of DRM, but I LOVE it. Case in point: I have long ago forgotten where I put my Far Cry install CDs. Seems they got lost or misplaced in one of my moves and I can't find them. Can't find the discs for several other games I purchased years back either.

But with Steam - all my games are right there. I never lose them! Everytime I reinstall windows or switch to a new computer, all my games are just a double click away.

I don't mind uplay because you can set it to offline mode and then it's not so invasive.

And Diablo 3 is a pile of garbage. If I could go back in time I'd pirate the hell out of that POS... worst $60 I've spent in a very long time.
January 17, 2013 2:18:06 AM

Going to have to say FC3, easier to max out BF3 then FC3. I do though believe BF3 is more optimized, but then again it's been out for a little while now.
January 17, 2013 11:35:59 AM

lol i got somehow on my oced q9550@3.4GHz and evga 660ftw 53,9 avg fps over 60s on kharg island map. dont know how
and yes FC3 is more intensive

best
revro
January 17, 2013 3:00:51 PM

I can max everything on BF3 and get 50+ fps with 2x AA on 1080p easy with a GTX 560. A 660 wouldn't even break a sweat with everything on Max, you might even be able to implement some control panel options. Far cry 3 is the first game I've played in the year since I bought the 560 2gb that really hits my system hard at ultra. I'm going to lower the AO to SSAO, because I read in a benchmark, that it is almost as good as HDAO with twice the performance. The weird thing about FC3 is that even when my fraps says i'm getting 25 fps it feels very fluid and doesn't seem to chug at all. I'm not very far, but I did that whole opening scene where you running through the woods and getting shot at with everything on Ultra and could barely notice any slow downs.

FC3 defaults to putting my system with everything on very high besides water quality and ambient lighting and I get 30 FPS even with the taxing HDAO enabled. If I put SSAO on with those settings I get 40+ FPS, but I'm going to try to push Ultra with SSAO on and see if it's playable. I've never been a "60 fps or nothing!" guy as far as I'm concerned 40 fps might as well be 60 cuz I can't see the difference.
January 17, 2013 7:01:10 PM

FC3 is undeniably more demanding than BF3 despite the fact that it doesn't look as good as BF3. The reason is that it's not optimized for PC. It's still a console port at heart with some extra visual options tacked on to it. My 7970 Ghz at stock clocks can run BF3 on ultra and stay above 60fps the majority of the time. It cannot keep a minimum 60 in FC3 even with the "very high" preset, and with Ultra + AA it drops down to 30-40 fps.

There's no doubt FC3 will torture your GFX card more than BF3 will, partially due to poor coding.
January 22, 2013 2:17:50 PM

I wouldn't go as far to say it doesn't look as good as BF3. I'd say they are equivalent. BF3 has some of the best looking terrain I have ever seen in my life, and there are sections in Far cry where there is noticeably low textures on the ground. Far Cry 3 has the superior lighting for sure. Walking through the trees you can see the trickle of light altered by the leaves as it moves along the ground. The water effects are better as well. Texture quality they look the same to me, but I have to agree that Far Cry 3 shouldn't be as taxing as it is.

Another note, I turned the AO down to SSAO and without AA Ultra is playable on a GTX 560. I get about 30FPS, but like I said on this game that seems very smooth to me. Surely, it is smooth enough to play the single player campaign. Play this game on your HDTV with a 360 controller and you will cream your pants, it looks amazing on a big TV.

This is the age old problem with PC gaming though, games look a lot better on it, but in order to get the most out of every game you need a card that is 200-250$. When I bought the GTX 560 just one year ago, there were only 3-4 cards better than it, now there is nearly ten. If your really into gaming, I don't see the big deal in upgrading every 2-3 years, but eventually you will have to get a new processor and PSU along with it and at that point why not just buy a whole new PC?
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2013 6:28:20 AM

Dhampire01 said:
I like trains

Are you high?
June 20, 2013 6:46:21 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Dhampire01 said:
I like trains

Are you high?

Cookie power activated!
!