Closed

P8Z77-v lk i5-3570K build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2013 10:17:44 PM

Hi:

My computers are getting old and dusty, like me ;) , so I need to build something. I will be using it for mostly business work, though I would like to have something I can add to later, (perhaps graphics card and a cooler for some other stuff), but for now want to be able to run win 7 pro, server, Ubuntu linux, do some web graphics work. I need to keep it close to or under $800. This is what I am thinking about ordering. I haven't done this in a long, long time, so just for the ease of having it all from one place I will probably order it all from Newegg.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gdek
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gdek/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gdek/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Free with mboard @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: is $794.96 in the cart at Newegg <--
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 18:57 EST-0500)

The memory above comes with the mboard at no additional cost. I am used to using pairs, (old fart <G>), but apparently the one stick will do the job for 8gb in this mboard.
I chose the 3570 because I want the HD4000 graphics for now, which I am assuming can be overridden later with the addition of a video card.
The two drives will allow me to practice some mirroring, and I have just always preferred two smaller drives over 1 big one since I have had some fail in the past.

Everything I have read here (and thank you all for your work) tells me the above should work together.

My first question is: Is all this compatible? The blurb at Asus says it comes with two SATA cables, so I don't think there is anything else I need.

Second question: What advantage, other than compatibility, would there be in changing anything?

Again, thank you.

More about : p8z77 3570k build

Best solution

February 26, 2013 10:52:05 PM

Looks like it will all work together. The only thing I'd add would be a SSD. It will improve your overall performance a ton.
February 27, 2013 2:05:52 AM

I appreciate the reply, and the suggestion. I was curious about the SS drives, but I bumped up against my spouse-imposed limit. (Actually it's just barely in my rear-view mirror, so I have to use that money to do something nice for her).

But as soon as I get this one paid down a bit, I am going to try one.

Thank you.

Score
March 6, 2013 6:50:11 AM

Best answer selected by jtuck004.
Score
!