I accidentally overclocked my video card too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemadsen

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
So today I was in the MSI Afterburner application, and I went to close the app, but the mouse went over the overclock slider, and I ended up overclocking my GPU 500%! So my monitor froze, and the the power button didn't respond, so I ended up unplugging the computer. Now, whenever I turn it on, the monitor turns on, and then does nothing. Is my card fried? It was only frozen for 15 seconds before i turned it off, so I don't assume that that would be enough time for it to fry itself? Is it just so overclocked that it outpaces the monitor refresh rate? Or that it is just dead. Here are my specifications:

CPU: AMD FX-8120 3.1 GHz
GPU:MSI Geforce GTX 650 Ti 1GB
RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3
Case: C.M.Storm Scout II, 2 fans in case
430w Corsair Power Supply Unit
1980x1200 24" Monitor

Please help it is urgent! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Test the card in another computer. Unless youv killed it, it should work as it will be running at stock speeds.
Then get another GPU and throw it into the original rig, open Afterburner and delete any overclocking settings you may have (or to be sure, delete Afterburner entirely).
From there the 650Ti should work.

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Double whoa!!! That's gotta be some kind of record, man! (Note to self: avoid MSI Afterburner at all costs.)

Unfortunately, MSI Afterburner isn't running during POST, so it isn't your O/C settings that are causing your trouble (they aren't stored locally on the 650 TI). I suppose I'd test the thing in another PC anyway as previously suggested just because the things are so expensive, but be prepared for the worst... Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Steven Medley

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
a little late i see, but what to do in this case is simply power down the machine, unplug and clear the cmos by shorting the jumper,, after placing the jumper back to its original position plug in the machine and reboot, settings should have been reset to default, DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE MACHINE ON, IT WILL FRY YOUR BOARD. if machine boots like normal then all is well, if not, your gpu is more than fried.

That won't help as Afterburners settings are not saved in BIOS so as soon as Windows starts the rig will lock up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.