60hz vs. 120hz refresh

treven

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Is the quality / performance that much better? Would it be worth it for me to get a nice 120hz monitor to use for games, programming, skype, movies and such?

i8myhippo

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Regardless, the article was about CRT monitors, and quite outdated. Basically, it made sure you knew the difference between the refresh rate and the frame rate.

My question to the OP is: can you already tell a difference between 50 and 60 FPS on your current monitor? I ask this because some people think 60 is the lowest end of playable, whereas some people don't mind 30. I, personally, can tell when the frames go above 60, but I don't find it worth the loss in image quality to reach those frames.

treven

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
There is a loss in image quality above 60 fps? I do not own the monitor / computer yet but i shall be buying it when i return from overseas, i am just trying to get my ducks in a row. i can tell from lagginess during game play when it would jump from 60 down to say...40 or 30 but i dont know or have never seen frame rates during a movie or anything. so Yes i believe i can distinguish between frame rates.

What would a higher frame rate do ? I was under the impression it improved upon performance and quality?

waicool20

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Most movies are 24/30 FPS and I don't see any difference.The advantage of 120hz to 60hz is that it would look more smooth and natural(but sometimes it can make you sick,its reported that some people watching 48 FPS movies get sick :O)since it can show more change at a time.And also you can also do 3D :D if it accepts 120Hz signals~

treven

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Ok i guess i will just have to stick to a good 60Hz monitor and i can get a 3 monitor set up. I just wanted to get a 120hz if it was completely worth it, but it appears it can cause problems?

I just dont want to drop a lot of money for a 120hz monitor and have anything like that happen and it end up being a waste of money.

No - these people aren't telling it straight. It doesn't cause any problems whatsoever, the only issue is that if you want to game at a hundred and twenty frames a second, you have to be able to output a hundred twenty frames a second - something that either requires a decent graphics card, or as they state erroneously, lowering image quality.

A 120Hz monitor will, in fact, make everything much much smoother, so long as the game is running at 100+ frames a second - but if you're considering dropping the money for a 120Hz monitor, you probably have the computer to do it. I'm actually surprised that "I8myhippo" is saying he has to turn down his image quality - the only games I have to do so with are Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3... My 670 can max out basically any other game at 120Hz and 1080p, and it's a HUGE improvement over 60fps; at least to me. No issues at all, and nothing like these people have been mentioning.

Don't just take my word for it, but do listen to people who have experience with what we're talking about, rather than mentioning movies. (*The idiotic myth that we can't process more than 24 frames a second is utter bs that stems from ancient movie filming technology and the fact that movies have motion blur.)

Here's what you actually should be looking at - some facts and knowledge of the experienced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CML9GaMSdg

melvar

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Assuming you play with vsync turned on, 120hz is definitely superior to 60hz regardless of your frame rates. Even at frame rates below 60 FPS you will see a big benefit. At 120hz the maximum amount of time the video card will have to wait to send a frame is only half as long as it would be at 60hz. This means you will get a more even delivery of frames, as well as slightly higher frame rates.

If you play with vsync turned off you won't get as much of a benefit at lower frame rates (though you'll probably see less tearing), but you will still get the benefit of higher maximum frame rates, and 100FPS is definitely better than 60 in a fast action game.

I miss CRT monitors, and this is the biggest reason. I'm currently using a 1440x900 monitor that supports 75hz (even that is noticeably better than 60hz), and I refuse to upgrade to 1920x1080 until I can afford a 120hz monitor.

treven

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
I dont think my computer will be a problem, i am thinking of getting a 670,680, or 690, depending on when the new 700 series cards come out i may get a 670/680 if they come out soon and if not i will get a 690 and just not upgrade for awhile.

Don't bother getting a 680 - it's a waste of money. A 680 is only 5% faster than a 670, for $100 more. When you overclock, it's only about 3% better.

Same thing applies to a 690, basically. A pair of 670s will be just as good for $300 less. (Though both will be overkill - a 670 will max out basically any game at 60Hz and 1080p.)

That being said, you're far better off upgrading every couple years than you are going big every so often. This guy puts it way better than I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

JJ1217

Honorable
I honestly think 120hz monitors are overrated. I much prefer my IPS 1440p monitor over a TN panel anyday... but I think of it this way. When I played on 120hz for a couple of hours, it didn't feel any different, but when I went back to 60hz I couldn't play on it easily for a week. So even though it didn't feel any different to 60hz *for me anyways, could be different for others* it ruined my experience of 60hz for a week.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Just an fyi... don't compare the frame rates from TV/movies to the frame rates of video games. Camera's capture some blur with movement that helps the transition from frame to frame. Games on the other hand don't have this. It's 1 static frame coupled with the next static frame that creates the jerkiness at 30 fps that you don't see when watching TV at 30 fps. Game developers can try to articficially add this blur but it's not the same.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

The article is about FPS and refersh rate. It covers both CRT and LCD display tech. And unless your Geordi La Forge, it's not outdated. geesss...
@ASHISH65 thanks for the link.

120hz is pretty much only a gaming thing, but for gaming it has a couple advantages. Not only do things run smoother, but games are much more responsive, at least for games that you control your view with the mouse.

If you like the idea of feeling as if the view you see in the game is more like an extension of you, 120hz would help a lot, assuming you have the GPU power to get 80+ FPS.

For movies, programming and just about anything else, you won't gain much in the way of responsiveness.

I personally get nauseated playing on a 60hz monitor due to the increased latency. At 30 FPS, I get nauseated within a couple minutes, up to 60 FPS, it happens after about 30-60mins, and at 80 FPS, I can play all day and not get sick.

So, the question comes down to what you want more and will benefit from the most. Do you want smooth responsive game play, or higher resolution and color clarity (assuming you get a good IPS monitor as an alternative)? I'll take responsiveness any day, but I'm not you.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Ya I know, I was looking into those Korean panels on e-bay and decided I'm just not lucky enough to try my luck on one of those.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Those both look pretty sweet. Are you noticing any blur with a 6ms response time in gaming?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in the market. I wasn't sure how noticable 6ms would be. Glad to hear it's not bad.

treven

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Ok excellent, thank you all. I play WoW and League of Legends as well as HoN and various internet based games with the occasional FPS like call of duty i will probably end up getting more of those when i build my computer though. So a 120hz would be the most beneficial? I would like the colors and picture to look pretty good though. not crappy colors lol

TN panels look great in games, their issue with appearance comes in the following:
1) Color shift (some people call this viewing angles, but this is not what the manufacturers call it) - Color shift will mean that at different angles, the colors appear slightly different. This is less relevant when it comes to games, as games uses textures and try to appear organic. Slight color shift really isn't noticeable in a game. This is more noticeable at the desktop.
2) Color accuracy. Good IPS panels have 8 bit colors, TN panels have 6 bit colors. That is to say, 8 bits per Red, green and blue, so it's more like 24 bit vs 18 bit color, depending on how you look at it. You'll be hard pressed to see the difference in a game, but if you look at gradients, which you may see in graphic art, you may notice a little less smoothness.
3) High resolution options - IPS panels come in 1440p and 1600p resolutions, TN panels top out at 1200p, but a 120hz version will be 1080p. Both require more power to be able to take advantage of it.

The downside of an IPS monitor, the ones with all the above advantages, is low response times, which results in ghosting, and a lack of 120hz for smoother and more responsive game play.

I suppose the choice might be similar to whether you prefer games which have very detailed textures, or one that has great animation. An IPS panel gives you a better still picture, a 120hz TN panel, gives you better animations.

QUESTION: Do you get headaches, nausea or eye strain when you play games in 1st person or over the shoulder views?
If so, a 120hz monitor with high FPS may relieve the symptoms of simulator sickness.

Are you a keyboard turner or mouse turner?
If so, you may not notice much issue with low latency and choppier game play.

G

I bought a benq 24" 120hz monitor, along with a gtx 680. I will never go back to 60hz again. Make sure you run vsync off, settings low enough so you can actually go upwards towards 120fps in the games you play. All eyes are different, but for me I notice a difference in smoothness up to 100fps, after that I can't tell.

There are many people with IPS panels that will tell that their 120hz TN panel looks way more vivid and colorful than their IPS panel.

Vividness is not about IPS vs TN. My previous monitor was night and day worse than my current 120hz monitor as well.