Wierd problems with my newly purchased Asus Radeon HD 7750

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaibutzu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi all,

When i bootup to Windows 8 with my new Radeon HD 7750, my computer's optical drive is not listed in My Computer and Device Manager. But, i can see the optical drive listed in BIOS. Repeated restarts did not solve this issue.
Secondly, my graphics card is listed as 7770 after i downloaded and installed the graphics drivers from the AMD website. (Is 7750 is a nerfed version of the 7770?)
Lastly, after about 1 hour, the screen just went black.

When i replace it with my old graphics card, Nvidia 8800GT, the optical drive reappears in the My Computer and Device Manager and the computer works perfectly fine.

I am using a rather old core 2 duo series processor (Intel E8500), brand new ASUS motherboard and rather old ANTEC True Power Trio 550W Power Supply.
I was initially suspecting the power supply assuming that the optical drive stops appearing because it's usual power supply is being sucked to the 7750; but the power requirements of both cards are the same and i also heard that the 7750 utilises low power for a graphics card. So it seems wierd the that computer works perfectly fine with the 8800GT.

My question is, will i be wasting my money if i go for a new power supply to solve this issue because the problem is something else? Also, i have no access to spare power supplies for testing.

Solution
it is in no way related to your psu....try updating the bios of your mainboard.

also update your windows and install all necessary drivers for your hardware.....download the latest ones from their respective websites.

here i assume you made a clean install of windows 8 rather then just updating it from your previous os directly
it is in no way related to your psu....try updating the bios of your mainboard.

also update your windows and install all necessary drivers for your hardware.....download the latest ones from their respective websites.

here i assume you made a clean install of windows 8 rather then just updating it from your previous os directly

Solution

zaibutzu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Updating the BIOS did it. My optical drive is not mysteriously disappearing anymore and after testing some games i could see the visual improvement. The card is still recognized as a 7770 though, but it's not really a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.