GPU overclock scaling on games

Does the performance of some Video cards/GPU on games scale linearly when overclocking high?
For example when you overclock HD7870 that has a stock clock of 1000mhz to 1100 mhz you gain an additional 4-6 fps on games but when you overclock it more to 1300mhz, will you gain another 5-8 fps or only about 2-3 fps?
9 answers Last reply
More about overclock scaling games
  1. Nah it doesn't really scale linearly, there are some games where overclocking actually does the opposite of improving performance.

Especially memory overclocking.
  2. ^ True, but it is often more or less proportional in GPU-limited games/situations.

For example, I've got a 30% overclock on both core and memory, and that translates to ~25-28% gains in fps in the few situations I have that really tax my GPUs, which is more or less a linear boost.

It also depends on what card you have - some cards scale better than others with overclocking. For example, Tahiti cards (79x0) scale performance slightly better than GK104 cards (660ti/670/680) with overclocking.
  3. It depends on what the performance limitation is of the game in question. If it's pure processing power, clock speed increases will have a noticeable effect, if maybe not a 100% linear one. If however the FPS is being limited by memory bandwidth or available VRAM, the overclock will have no effect.
  4. I have been trying to OC my 7870 and find that going from 1000 to 1250 core only yields ~5 more fps in game. I find it hardly worth it.
  5. wanderer11 said:
    I have been trying to OC my 7870 and find that going from 1000 to 1250 core only yields ~5 more fps in game. I find it hardly worth it.

Maybe core clock isn't you bottleneck then... Have you tried OC'ing the memory? Or maybe you are CPU limited?
  6. Herr_Koos said:
    Maybe core clock isn't you bottleneck then... Have you tried OC'ing the memory? Or maybe you are CPU limited?

Not cpu limited, my cpu usage never goes much over 50%. I recently got a 2560x1440 monitor and the single 7870 just isn't up to the task. I need to get another one. Sounds like you know more about this than me so quick question: I notice when I have the lowest fps in borderlands 2 my cpu usage and gpu usage are both well under 100%. Do you think it would be a driver issue or something else?
  7. Are you monitoring CPU usage per core? The average may be 50% but you could have a single core running at 100% because the multi threading support is poor.
  8. In task manager it looks like all 4 cores are being used. Do you know of a good program to monitor cpu usage?
  9. I generally use Process Explorer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

If you want to chat further you should maybe start a new thread; don't want to hijack this one.
  10. Herr_Koos said:
    I generally use Process Explorer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

If you want to chat further you should maybe start a new thread; don't want to hijack this one.

Thanks for the help. I looked up some BL2 benchmarks and it looks like 3570ks have a hard time with physx in it. I'll start a thread if turning that off doesn't fix my problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking GPUs Games FPS Graphics