• Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • GPUs
  • Games
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 9:41:18 AM

Does the performance of some Video cards/GPU on games scale linearly when overclocking high?
For example when you overclock HD7870 that has a stock clock of 1000mhz to 1100 mhz you gain an additional 4-6 fps on games but when you overclock it more to 1300mhz, will you gain another 5-8 fps or only about 2-3 fps?

More about : gpu overclock scaling games

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 9:51:20 AM

Nah it doesn't really scale linearly, there are some games where overclocking actually does the opposite of improving performance.

Especially memory overclocking.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:58:47 AM

^ True, but it is often more or less proportional in GPU-limited games/situations.

For example, I've got a 30% overclock on both core and memory, and that translates to ~25-28% gains in fps in the few situations I have that really tax my GPUs, which is more or less a linear boost.

It also depends on what card you have - some cards scale better than others with overclocking. For example, Tahiti cards (79x0) scale performance slightly better than GK104 cards (660ti/670/680) with overclocking.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 11:22:39 AM

It depends on what the performance limitation is of the game in question. If it's pure processing power, clock speed increases will have a noticeable effect, if maybe not a 100% linear one. If however the FPS is being limited by memory bandwidth or available VRAM, the overclock will have no effect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 11:28:27 AM

I have been trying to OC my 7870 and find that going from 1000 to 1250 core only yields ~5 more fps in game. I find it hardly worth it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 11:34:17 AM

wanderer11 said:
I have been trying to OC my 7870 and find that going from 1000 to 1250 core only yields ~5 more fps in game. I find it hardly worth it.

Maybe core clock isn't you bottleneck then... Have you tried OC'ing the memory? Or maybe you are CPU limited?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:36:10 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Maybe core clock isn't you bottleneck then... Have you tried OC'ing the memory? Or maybe you are CPU limited?

Not cpu limited, my cpu usage never goes much over 50%. I recently got a 2560x1440 monitor and the single 7870 just isn't up to the task. I need to get another one. Sounds like you know more about this than me so quick question: I notice when I have the lowest fps in borderlands 2 my cpu usage and gpu usage are both well under 100%. Do you think it would be a driver issue or something else?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:43:40 PM

Are you monitoring CPU usage per core? The average may be 50% but you could have a single core running at 100% because the multi threading support is poor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:45:51 PM

In task manager it looks like all 4 cores are being used. Do you know of a good program to monitor cpu usage?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:54:26 PM

Herr_Koos said:
I generally use Process Explorer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...

If you want to chat further you should maybe start a new thread; don't want to hijack this one.

Thanks for the help. I looked up some BL2 benchmarks and it looks like 3570ks have a hard time with physx in it. I'll start a thread if turning that off doesn't fix my problem.
m
l
!