Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7800 3 monitor spanning - too many cables/ports to choose from

January 9, 2013 9:56:18 AM

Apologies for the length and rambling nature - it's a messy setup

I have inherited some monitors and would like to game on all three.
I managed this but not with a very good resolution and now I cannot get this to work again.
The card has 1xDVI 1xHDMI 2xDP-mini
The Monitors are 1x17" VGA only 1x17"VGA/DVI 1x19"VGA/DVI
I have two DP-mini converters one to VGA and one to DP
I have one HDMI-DVI cable, one DVI-VGA, one VGA-VGA and one DP-DVI
When I got it to work it was using the DPminiVGA adaptor to the VGA only monitor and complained that the cable could not communicated properly (the AMD Catalyst config software) so I tried updating the drivers etc
I could get all three monitors displaying 2048x1024 on Windows 8 as extended mode monitors but managed somehow to get the AMD Multiview setup to span all three at the 1024x768 res which was acceptable but I had hope to improve by using the DPmini-DP adaptor with the DP-DVI cable sadly this still complains of cabling limitations and forces the 3rd monitor into 640x480 res, again Windows 8 can be convinced to get all three into 2048x1024 but it is never clear how...
Once all at this res I cannot get the 3 spanning screen to kick in again at all never mind with the lower res...

Do I need to buy new monitor(s) all with DVI to be compatible or all new cables to take away the adaptors? Can you even get straight HDMI-VGA DP-VGA?
Or do I need to buy additional graphics card(s)?

Obviously if there is a cost free solution I would be most pleased ;) 

Cheers for reading if you got this far!
!