MIDI Studio Setup Advice: Computer Keyboard and Digital Pi..

Last response: in Home Audio
May 1, 2004 2:45:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.music.midi,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi -- i have a bit of a connundrum here--I have a cordless mouse and
cordless keyboard, an 88-key Rolan-90 digital piano as my controler,
and a 17" CRT monitor-- but how can i set up my studio so that i can
easilly access the computer keyboard, mouse, and midi controller, all
while being able to see the monitor and maintianing good ergonomics??

i'm open to any possibilities here, since i'm drawing blanks..
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 2:46:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.music.midi,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Put the Roland on the desk, and put the keyboard and mouse below it on a
slide-out keyboard drawer.

"Adam Golding" <nntpspam@adamspamgolding.com> wrote in message
> Hi -- i have a bit of a connundrum here--I have a cordless mouse and
> cordless keyboard, an 88-key Rolan-90 digital piano as my controler,
> and a 17" CRT monitor-- but how can i set up my studio so that i can
> easilly access the computer keyboard, mouse, and midi controller, all
> while being able to see the monitor and maintianing good ergonomics??
>
> i'm open to any possibilities here, since i'm drawing blanks..
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 5:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.music.midi,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:45:59 -0400, Adam Golding
<nntpspam@adamspamgolding.com> wrote:

>Hi -- i have a bit of a connundrum here--I have a cordless mouse and
>cordless keyboard, an 88-key Rolan-90 digital piano as my controler,
>and a 17" CRT monitor-- but how can i set up my studio so that i can
>easilly access the computer keyboard, mouse, and midi controller, all
>while being able to see the monitor and maintianing good ergonomics??
>
>i'm open to any possibilities here, since i'm drawing blanks..

The only ergonomics that matter are your posture while playing the
keyboard (if you're a real player). So set up the keyboard for a
comfortable playing position. Put everything else anywhere within
reach.

My music keyboard is at right angles to the desk holding computer
keyboard and monitor. I sit on a swivel stool. While playing the
keyboard, that's all that matters. Afterwards I can swing left to
the computer. Start/stop, rewind/fast forward etc. are easy
keypresses on the computer keyboard, simple to do with either hand.

May 2, 2004 8:23:24 PM

"serious fun" <serious.fun@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<A5CdnewP-sVdgA7dRVn-sQ@comcast.com>...
> Put the Roland on the desk, and put the keyboard and mouse below it on a
> slide-out keyboard drawer.

unfortunately the a-90 is rather thick, which would make the computer
keyboard way, way, way too low...

> "Adam Golding" <nntpspam@adamspamgolding.com> wrote in message
> > Hi -- i have a bit of a connundrum here--I have a cordless mouse and
> > cordless keyboard, an 88-key Rolan-90 digital piano as my controler,
> > and a 17" CRT monitor-- but how can i set up my studio so that i can
> > easilly access the computer keyboard, mouse, and midi controller, all
> > while being able to see the monitor and maintianing good ergonomics??
> >
> > i'm open to any possibilities here, since i'm drawing blanks..
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 11:21:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.music.midi,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:17:09 +0100, Laurence Payne
<l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:45:59 -0400, Adam Golding
><nntpspam@adamspamgolding.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi -- i have a bit of a connundrum here--I have a cordless mouse and
>>cordless keyboard, an 88-key Rolan-90 digital piano as my controler,
>>and a 17" CRT monitor-- but how can i set up my studio so that i can
>>easilly access the computer keyboard, mouse, and midi controller, all
>>while being able to see the monitor and maintianing good ergonomics??
>>
>>i'm open to any possibilities here, since i'm drawing blanks..
>

>The only ergonomics that matter are your posture while playing the
>keyboard (if you're a real player).

why on earth would you say that? for what it's worth, i have
tenditinits problems which are aggravated by both piano AND computer
use, not to mention neck and back problems releated to posture, etc.
Furthermore, even if someone had none of these sorts of problems, good
ergonomics would be key to making sure that they wouldn't *develop*
any of them...

> So set up the keyboard for a
>comfortable playing position. Put everything else anywhere within
>reach.
>
>My music keyboard is at right angles to the desk holding computer
>keyboard and monitor. I sit on a swivel stool. While playing the
>keyboard, that's all that matters. Afterwards I can swing left to
>the computer. Start/stop, rewind/fast forward etc. are easy
>keypresses on the computer keyboard, simple to do with either hand.

well, i want to use the digital piano for step entry of notes in any
register, and i do a lot of fiddling with the counterpoint, so i want
to be able to see the screen while i use the piano.

> CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
>"Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 5:22:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.music.midi,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 02 May 2004 19:21:08 -0400, Adam Golding
<nntpspam@adamspamgolding.com> wrote:

>>The only ergonomics that matter are your posture while playing the
>>keyboard (if you're a real player).
>
>why on earth would you say that? for what it's worth, i have
>tenditinits problems which are aggravated by both piano AND computer
>use, not to mention neck and back problems releated to posture, etc.
>Furthermore, even if someone had none of these sorts of problems, good
>ergonomics would be key to making sure that they wouldn't *develop*
>any of them...

OK. I do much more "live" piano playing - the only time I feel a
restriction is when I can't approach the keyboard from the right
height and angle. Computer control is mainly stop/start while
inputting. When editing is needed, I turn to the computer table.
For the odd bit of step-editing, I don't need to be facing the music
keyboard.

Try this. Don't position your Roland along a wall, but at right
angles to it. Behind it place a table, holding your monitor at a
suitable height. Tape a mouse mat to the top of your Roland. There
should be room on an 88-note controller for the keyboard as well - get
ingenious about fixing it.

When doing non-music computer things, swivel the monitor 180 degrees
and work from the other side of the table.