Sign in with
Your question

Underclocking GTX 680 worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 10:48:58 AM

I am considering a high-end GPU for my new computer, and only play occasionally. Most of the time the computer just idles or is used to websurfing or watching videos.

If I get say Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP or ASUS Radeon HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP, will they underclock and will they save any electricity and *keep any cooler*?
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:52:07 AM

yes you can usually set profiles for 2d and 3d mode. most under clock the 2d state to do just that. i know evga precision x has that option to save the 2 different modes and most likely msi afterburner

but most cards now use very little power at idle accoriding to nvidia around 5w but i doubt that. but i never really a situation where during normal use im using really any of my gpu so it should usuallybe at idle unless gaming
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:52:51 AM

The GPU will downclock itself to conserve power (2D mode), and will be running at very low speeds. AMD's ZeroCore technology, which is sort of buggy in single GPU configurations (but beastly in Crossfire, the second GPU turns completely off, including fans), also helps conserve power. ZeroCore only helps in Single GPU configurations when the monitor is off.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:54:29 AM

sir dont double post
January 9, 2013 10:57:01 AM

@alvine
Yeah, sorry! I got error message and assumed the post did not go through! Won't do it again.

The error was:
"The site is temporarily unavailable.
Please come back soon."
!