Good gravy, a 1700 Dollar build..

jwreeves88

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Let me start off by saying, the PC part picker list below will not have a PSU or Case in it cause my Manager at the shop has given me his In Win Dragon Rider case and a 750w Corsair PSU both of which are relatively new, aka only a few months old and used very little, which gives me plenty of wiggle room in terms of budget.

Without the Mail in rebates I have around 300 DOllar wiggle room to play with.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Antec Formula 6 Nano Diamond 4g Thermal Paste ($6.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: BenQ GW2450 24.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.86 @ Mac Connection)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1335.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 23:47 EST-0500)

Questions:
1. Should I get a Second monitor to use for minorcrap such as IMs and skype Etc? I wont be going past 1080p on any monitor mind you.
Reasoning: I know the 670 could be considered overkill for a 1080p single monitor, and it might be helpful when I do do my Modeling and texturing, to have Photoshop and Zbrush or 3ds Max up, or even Maya simultaneously.

2. GPU.. I am a Nvidia person but thats from personal good experience. Should I say screw it and jump up to a 680, or get the 670 and wait for the 700 series.. SInce I do play Skyrim with modded Textures, the 4gb one might be better to use...But I want peoples opinions. I could just say screw it and go sell my kidneys to get a Titan! ((That I am J/k on))

3. TIM ((THermal Management)): I am half tempted to foot for the Indigo extreme just for the 'Computer pron' say so :p But that type of Cooling would be good since I usually F@H while Im away from home or asleep. Yay or nay?

ANy suggestions, concerns etc?

For a reference I play : Skyrim ((Tex Modded)), TERA Online, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3 , and I am waiting for 'Remember Me'!
3d Programs I use: Blender, Z Brush, Maya 2009, 3ds Max(8) 2009, ADesk Mudbox, and Sculptris.. ((Alot do the same things some are just easier to use for certain situations)).
Other: Photoshop CS6e, F@H

Yes I am a Intel and Nvidia supporter, but not anal hardcore PMSing fangirl like oh so many out there.. I just choose to use them from personal experiences in the past..

Normally Id also opt to get a Mid tower case but this was free so I can not complain xp!

phx08

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
From what i've heard LED monitors really aren't that "good" performance wise when compared to top end LCD's (H-IPS or S-IPS). So you may want to reconsider getting an S-IPS monitor, which of course could take up your $300 wiggle room.

Also from what i've seen and read the 680 is not worth the price, you can do something with 670's in SLI.

Just my $0.02

McLubbin

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Just preference, I would go with a Corsair Vengeance m60/m90

They also are about to make the M65 which somes in multiple colors and is 8200 DPI (I think)

It is only 45$ for the M60 on sale

jwreeves88

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
$0.02 is better than no cents :p

Well Its all still under consideration.. I am still doing my research on the Monitors part of my build honestly.. I am not entirely certain yet, the onyl factors that are absolutes are Backlit ((Be it LED or CCFL)), Widescreen, and 1920x1080.. IPS panel is a optional, Prefered but I can eschew it for now. THough I do love accurate color representation when doing Model texturing >.<

I will have to mull it over.. Alot to think about since I wont be doing any upgrading for at least a year or 2 after all these purchases are made.

g-unit1111

Titan
Xigmatek Gaia is a horrible choice for cooler, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo instead.

And then the OCZ Vector or the Samsung 840 Pro would be better choices for SSD.

The Gigabyte GTX 670 has a better cooling solution than the MSI card does.

And then I'd drop the BD-R drive and the extra thermal compound - those things are not needed.

jwreeves88

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I chose the BD-R drive cause I do back up data onto BD-R discs, might seem odd but I do thats a personal choice cause I keep several mediums of Backup.. If I cant connect to my NAS, or my External Hard drive fails, Ill have a another source.

I chose the MSI for the Higher clock speed ands its cool operation under load. I AM NOT going to overclock anything my self.

I chose the Compound cause I will not use Stock Thermal compound that comes with a Aftermarket cooler either. Id rather use Toothpaste rather than stock crap..

As for the cooler, I haven't hard decided on one yet, that is a research in progress for me.

The SSD, honestly, what is the real difference between it, hmm? I am not a stickler for uber Read write speeds.. Details on WHY something is better is always nice. Not trying to be a arse but still.. While I may have wiggle room, Its always good to keep my finances under that, money would be set aside for a future upgrade.

Monitor I ahve chosed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254093 Hanns-G

g-unit1111

Titan
I chose the Compound cause I will not use Stock Thermal compound that comes with a Aftermarket cooler either. Id rather use Toothpaste rather than stock crap..

Actually what comes with the Hyper 212 is a non conductive MX-4 solution where the Silver 5 is MX-2, you are wasting your money here. Noctua also includes really good thermal compound with their fans. There are some that include junk paste but I don't recommend those manufacturers.

I chose the MSI for the Higher clock speed ands its cool operation under load. I AM NOT going to overclock anything my self.

The 3 fan Gigabyte model is one of the best cooling solutions on the market.

Monitor I ahve chosed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6824254093 Hanns-G

For the same price check out the Crossover 27Q or the Yamakasi Catleap. You won't find those on Newegg, but they provide a far superior resolution and thinner profile for the same price as that Hanns G display. The Crossover 27Q goes for $289 on eBay right now.

jwreeves88

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Nevermind on the Graphics card. Friend of mine from my BF3 clan is selling me his GTX 680 ((EVGA 2680)) for 350+ shipping.. Might end up modding it for better cooling but Meh.. Thankfully I wont be OCing and the way my case is set up should provide adequate cooling underload.. I will have to test it when the full build is done.

If that is what comes with the 212 Evo then I will not spend money on TIM..

Monitor.. Maybe, As long as I can get something 1080p and has at least a 75hz refresh rate that wont destroy my remaining funds. Something around 23.6 to 25 inches in size would be fine..

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/viewsonic-monitor-vx2460hled <--- SOmething like that would work for me.

And I seriously need to learn what spellcheck is..