Powers up 3 seconds then shuts down and repeats

zekeke85

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hi

So just like the title says. It was working fine up till yesterday and started having this problem when I tried to start it up today.

My computer has been working fine ever since I built it 2 years ago. I did recently install a SSD about 2 weeks ago but had been working fine. I was able to do a clean win7 install.

The only thing I've done to try to troubleshoot is to switch back to the original HD but the same problem persists.

When the computer powers up it doesn't even get to the stage where the picture of the mobo shows up. No beeps or noise. Fans power up.

I've searched through the forums and noticed those were for newly built. Mine's been working fine up until now. I hope my PSU isn't dying on me.

System specs:

Core i5 2500k

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL = 8 gigs total

MSI P67A/G43

OCZ vertex agility 4 128gb

EVGA gtx460 768mb

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

McLubbin

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
My system used to do that about 5 times before booting, sometimes it didnt, sometimes it didnt.

After a couple hours of research and testing and crap, I found out I needed to update my BIOS...

After that it has booted flawlessly everytime (Besides it being an asus mobo so the BIOS takes like 7 seconds to start)

zekeke85

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
GPU was not seated all the way.

A couple weeks ago i screwed the top bracket of the GPU to the case to secure it when connecting my monitor to it. But the mobo isn't flush all the way against the side of the case and so by screwing down that top bracket it must have gradually unseated the GPU.

Thanks for your help though.

TRENDING THREADS