Will this upgrade be worth it???

balgoth17

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hello!!! I'm thinking about upgrading/Rebuilding my PC.
Here's my current rig:
CPU: Phenom II 965 @ stock.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H.
RAM: 4bg DDR2 @ 800 Mhz. (stock)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2gb @ stock.
Case Antec 900 two v3.

New rig:
CPU: i5 3570k.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or AsRock extreme4 . (which should I get??? I'm leaning for the Gigabyte)
RAM: CorsairVengeance Series 8 GB DDR3-1600.
GPU: same.
Case: same.

I'm wondering how noticeable the performance increase will by for games like:
Crysis 3, Shogun 2, Metro 2033, Skyrim (with a lot of graohics mods), BF3, and future games.

Will this upgrade be worth it???

I can get the parts from MicroCenter for around $365.
Unfortunately I can't afford an SSD or new GPU atm, so those are out of the question for now. :-(
I also don't think I'll be ably to afford Haswell when it comes out.

Anyway, thanks for the help!!!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Well, I think you just need to save up so when you have enough you can then do a whole new system. That's my suggestion. Your system is more than capable now. Just wait another 6 months and see if you can afford a whole new build.

balgoth17

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Thanks for the reply!!!

I'm still tempted to upgrade now though.
I don't really see much point in waiting 6 month as I don't plan on getting Haswell.
I also don't see any reason to upgrade my GPU, it's by far the newest and most expensive part in my computer right now,
and it's the part I'm most likely to upgrade down the road.

My motherboard is the only original part in my current rig, I've literally changed every other part at least once!

I think only having 4gigs of ram is holding me back, while I'm playing skyrim (modded) my computer is using over 80%.

I basically just want to move to a newer platform.
I'm used to not having top of the line parts, so not getting Haswell is fine with me.
I just want to future proof my pc (yes I know Haswell won't be compatible with 1155)
but at least I can overclock the 3570 if need be.

Thanks for the good advice!!!