Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth waiting for the next gen CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Is it worth waiting for the upcoming gpu series from AMD or Nvidia?

Total: 42 votes (7 blank votes)

• Yes,it is for Nvidia GTX700
  • 63 %
  • No,it is not for Nvidia
  • 3 %
  • Yes,it is for AMD 8xxx
  • 32 %
  • No,it is not for AMD
  • 3 %
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 1:06:55 PM

Is it worthwhile waiting for the release of the upcoming gpu s of AMD or Nvidia.

I am currently running a HD6850 and i am in no hurry to upgrade provided it is worth the wait.

More about : worth waiting gen cpu

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 1:10:00 PM

yes i would wait. more performance for your money
a c 180 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 1:11:32 PM

yes waiting for new series is always worthwile.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 101 à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 1:12:23 PM

It's also worth getting your title correct and saying GPU, not CPU. :p 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 1:15:07 PM

getochkn said:
It's also worth getting your title correct and saying GPU, not CPU. :p 

sorry for that typo :( 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 1:18:48 PM

i truly can wait....was just thinking if the performance upgrade is like the difference between the 2nd gen core i series and the 3rd gen core i series, or the FX series and the phenom II...then what?
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 1:59:20 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
i truly can wait....was just thinking if the performance upgrade is like the difference between the 2nd gen core i series and the 3rd gen core i series, or the FX series and the phenom II...then what?

If Ivy vs Sandy, it simply means you didn't get much for waiting, but you didn't lose anything. And when Bulldozer launched, people were still able to buy Phenom IIs instead ;-)

It would be silly to wait for Radeon 8000s and not GTX700s. Even the most devoted AMD-fanboy who has already decided for a fact they won't buy GTX700 should still wait for it for the sake of competition to drive down Radeon 8000 prices. Radeon 7000s were way overpriced before GTX600s launched. The 7970 especially.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 2:06:10 PM

i seriously hope the fate of @bigmack does not occur to me ;) 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 2:06:56 PM

BigMack70 said:
My wallet is still crying from that... ]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sex012.gif

Let that be a lesson to you all!

Looking at GTX670 launch prices, nothing much has changed there (maybe because the competition was already there) so probably wouldn't be much to be gained from waiting ages after GTX700 launch. For that reason, I'll probably just grab one ASAP. Money saved by waiting will likely be insignificant. That said, it'll probably be the exception this time :-)
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 2:08:58 PM

sam_p_lay said:
If Ivy vs Sandy, it simply means you didn't get much for waiting, but you didn't lose anything. And when Bulldozer launched, people were still able to buy Phenom IIs instead ;-)

It would be silly to wait for Radeon 8000s and not GTX700s. Even the most devoted AMD-fanboy who has already decided for a fact they won't buy GTX700 should still wait for it for the sake of competition to drive down Radeon 8000 prices. Radeon 7000s were way overpriced before GTX600s launched. The 7970 especially.

yeah that overprice was basically because of the new 28nm manufacturing process i think
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 2:16:17 PM

by waiting....we in india gain a lot actually.

the price of gtx690 is around $1270 now from its initial which was around $1360
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 2:19:03 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:

That difference was nearly all a manufacturing architecture shrink. The only real improvements were in power savings. Performance wise, there wasn't much at all... Actually, there was worse performance if I recall correctly, because at the beginning the 3rd gen i-series CPU's had crappy thermal past under the heat spreaders that prevented OC'ing even as high as the 2nd gen i-series. That made them slower after OC.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 2:20:20 PM

BigMack70 said:
My wallet is still crying from that... ]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sex012.gif

Ya, but that GPU has been out for a year now. How long have you been enjoying the power? Plus your be good till 2014 or later. The nVidia 700's and Radeon 8000's are just going to be a refresh. Same 28nm tech, so minimal preformance gains.

But waiting for tech has aways been foolish, there is aways something better coming. But that said, waiting till there is quantity of a product available and the subsequent price drop that follows... or an actual sale, can be worth while.

7970, nice GPU by the way.
And the same for the competition too, GTX 680.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 2:24:13 PM

ittimjones said:
That difference was nearly all a manufacturing architecture shrink. The only real improvements were in power savings. Performance wise, there wasn't much at all... Actually, there was worse performance if I recall correctly, because at the beginning the 3rd gen i-series CPU's had crappy thermal past under the heat spreaders that prevented OC'ing even as high as the 2nd gen i-series. That made them slower after OC.

yes even i do remember that...people use to say the 3rd gens get hot too quickly....blah.blah blah......
many even blamed the new 22nm manufacturing process for that.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 2:30:19 PM

actually i even had that in my mind...what if the next releases becomes a mere shameless refresh @wdmfiber....like the hd6xxx series.

not to mention i am using one ;) 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 2:55:49 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
actually i even had that in my mind...what if the next releases becomes a mere shameless refresh @wdmfiber....like the hd6xxx series.

not to mention i am using one ;) 

Ya, the codeword for the 8000 series is "sea isalands", you can research info about it. You could call it as "shameless refresh", lol. AMD was suppose to start the release in March, but there is so much inventory sitting around they pushed the date back. Maybe summer? No one knows for sure.

"Volcanic Islands" will be the 9000 series. And it will be a real performance update. But it's a while away - sometime in 2014, hopefully.

"Maxwell" is the competing GPU line from nVidia.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 3:06:33 PM

I am currently running a single 7850 but since the prices for 7850s have dropped I will be getting my second 7850 today which for the money is much better value than waiting for 8xxx series because 7850 perform better than 7970 when the 7850s are crossfired and is better than waiting to buy a 8850 or 8830 because those both will cost more and will perform worse.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 3:34:53 PM

To be fair, nobody knows how they'll perform, unless somebody here has a working crystal ball. We can't see the future, so let's wait until some benchmarks are out before reviewing them.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 6:06:24 PM

well said @sam...there are always too many "would be s"when it comes to any upcoming release.
all we can do now is keep our fingers crossed.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 6:16:53 PM

I think waiting a few months for the 700 series to drop would be a better option. This way you know whats out there and you have a choice of going 700 or 600 and if you choose to go 600 due to the specs not being the way you want from 700 thats cool but atleast you know. But i do believe the 700 will be a improvement more so then the specs barely being better then the 600 series
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 6:25:57 PM

yes its just hope for now... :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 8:12:46 PM

I don't think we'll be disappointed. Based on previous gen gains, 35-40% on GTX780 (over GTX680) and 30-35% on GTX770 (over GTX670) are quite likely. Could be anywhere from 15% though, we'll just have to wait and see.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 8:18:38 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I don't think we'll be disappointed. Based on previous gen gains, 35-40% on GTX780 (over GTX680) and 30-35% on GTX770 (over GTX670) are quite likely. Could be anywhere from 15% though, we'll just have to wait and see.

That would be sick. I have the 660ti so my options is the 780 or the 770
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 8:41:01 PM

I think GTX770 will be the way to go. Based on the GTX670, GTX570, GTX470, GTX275. Biggest gain on any x80 over x70 in those ranges was the GTX480 over the GTX470 (typically 20-25% gain). For the others ranges, much less. Yet typically a price premium of 100 or more for that tiny gain.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 8:43:08 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I think GTX770 will be the way to go. Based on the GTX670, GTX570, GTX470, GTX275. Biggest gain on any x80 over x70 in those ranges was the GTX480 over the GTX470 (typically 20-25% gain). For the others ranges, much less. Yet typically a price premium of 100 or more for that tiny gain.

Good info im most def going to look into it when it comes out bro
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2013 8:46:30 PM

Same, really looking forward to it! I've been massively tempted to not wait and get a GTX670, but don't really want the hassle of trying to sell it. There's still a bit of life in this card so I can stick with it a few more months. Plenty of 2009/2010/2011 games I didn't play that I can max on it.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:20:23 PM

I was going to upgrade my Radeon 6850 to a GTX 660 Ti but I just couldn't justify it. I don't really play anything more demanding than Call of Duty & Skyrim (1920x1080 BO2 is maxed and Skyrim is set to High, so not really demanding) simply because I'm not a Battlefield fan and haven't played Far Cry since the first one.

I was holding out for the Radeon 8xxx's like most of you but I don't know if those will even offer me the "OOMPH" I'm looking for in my price range (I wish I had Bigmack's wallet). I might just hold off for the next line of Nvidias.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 12:09:39 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Same, really looking forward to it! I've been massively tempted to not wait and get a GTX670, but don't really want the hassle of trying to sell it. There's still a bit of life in this card so I can stick with it a few more months. Plenty of 2009/2010/2011 games I didn't play that I can max on it.

Sam, can i haz 770?
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 2:45:46 AM

I heard awhile ago some people on these forums talking about the "2 Gen" rule. I don't remember if they were talking about CPU's or GPU's (seems relevant to both) and it seems very relevant in this situation.

For instance, my 6850 is, as of right now, 1 generation old. It was replaced by the 7850 (obviously). Is there a performance increase? Yep. Does the performance increase justify the nearly $250-$300 price tag the 7850 had when it came out? No.

Now if the Radeon 8850 comes out and is, let's say 20% faster than the 7850 which would make it, lets say 50% faster than the 6850 (2nd Generation rule) then would the $300 price tag (speculation) be justified? In my opinion, yes.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 3:06:40 AM

dscudella said:
I heard awhile ago some people on these forums talking about the "2 Gen" rule. I don't remember if they were talking about CPU's or GPU's (seems relevant to both) and it seems very relevant in this situation.

For instance, my 6850 is, as of right now, 1 generation old. It was replaced by the 7850 (obviously). Is there a performance increase? Yep. Does the performance increase justify the nearly $250-$300 price tag the 7850 had when it came out? No.

Now if the Radeon 8850 comes out and is, let's say 20% faster than the 7850 which would make it, lets say 50% faster than the 6850 (2nd Generation rule) then would the $300 price tag (speculation) be justified? In my opinion, yes.

In my case the 660ti to 770 or 780 would be a better option for me i mean the 660ti is cool but i do want a better nv card
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 5:41:58 AM

the upcoming cards are going to be that overpriced as the current generation cards when they came out.
these were the first 28nm cards of both the companies...since there is nothing new to the manufacturing process...hope they are priced more sensibly
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 8:31:17 AM

determinologyz said:
Sam, can i haz 770?

Yes you may.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 9:05:21 AM

2nd gen rules is good to save money & get good performance vs price ratio
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 9:20:12 AM

i am getting more of nivida and less of amd....it really pushes me to a question.

is it because of amd 8xxx series still a pretty long wait or is it just because it is nvidia?
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 1:26:56 PM

BigMack70 said:
The 700 series is actually farther off than the 8000 series, which is why people may be voting for it - if you wait till the 8000 series, you will subject yourself to wallet rape like I did. If you wait till the 700 series, you can pick from either side at fair prices.

People may also be thinking that the 700 series will finally see the release of something akin to "Big" Kepler aka GK110 or whatever that winds up being.

This is it for me. You hit the nail on the head. I'm upgrading this year, but why jump at the first thing that comes our way? Wait and see what both sides have to offer and how they compare both in pricing & performance.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 2:11:26 PM

I think both camps amd and nv will bring something good to the table as always. Only time will tell
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 2:35:34 PM

determinologyz said:
I think both camps amd and nv will bring something good to the table as always. Only time will tell

I hope so. I'm already gearing up for all the "Radeon 8970 vs GTX 770" threads we'll see.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 2:37:44 PM

BigMack70 said:
With any luck it will be 8970 vs 780 ;) 

Yea that sounds about right to lol
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 2:52:10 PM

LOL to both of you guys. I like light hearted threads like these, too often threads get too serious and involve name calling, fan boyism and the OP never returns to input their comments for fear of throwing fuel on the fire.

At least for now we have a reprieve from that.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 4:47:16 PM

well here I am OP...and thanks to you @mack.
I had actually made up my mind to go for the 8xxx series whenever it comes out.
I almost forgot your wallet rape thing...thanks again for reminding
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 4:53:09 PM

Yes, I remember Bigmack haunting the forums willing to pay an arm, leg, and maybe even his first born for a second 7970 lightning to complete the CF :p 
January 10, 2013 5:13:56 PM

dscudella said:

Interesting that you point that out. That's pretty much the upgrade cycle I'm on but I always looked at it as just a 2 year cycle and not really a generational one. That's even the price range I'm working with in, about $300. I'm running a 5870 right now (long story) but then next gen is my upgrade cycle due date. I've found that building a PC about every 4 years (at most) and upgrading the video card every 2 (every other gen) seems to work very well.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 5:21:39 PM

I actually built the PC I have now in September 2012. The only difference was I upgraded from the i3-2100 and Antec VP-450 to the i5-3470 and Corsair CX600V2 (Christmas presents to myself) so that this year I could upgrade my video card. I also added the OCZ Agility 3 and I really don't see myself upgrading anything besides the video card within the next two years or so.

Quad Core and 8gb RAM seems to be the sweet spot (don't quote me on this in 6 months) so I'm sticking to the 2 Gen cycle for my CPU and GPU. GPU this cycle, I'll skip on Haswell and upgrade the next gen of Intels unless AMD shocks the community and releases something that is simply amazing.
January 10, 2013 5:39:00 PM

dscudella said:
I actually built the PC I have now in September 2012. The only difference was I upgraded from the i3-2100 and Antec VP-450 to the i5-3470 and Corsair CX600V2 (Christmas presents to myself) so that this year I could upgrade my video card. I also added the OCZ Agility 3 and I really don't see myself upgrading anything besides the video card within the next two years or so.

Quad Core and 8gb RAM seems to be the sweet spot (don't quote me on this in 6 months) so I'm sticking to the 2 Gen cycle for my CPU and GPU. GPU this cycle, I'll skip on Haswell and upgrade the next gen of Intels unless AMD shocks the community and releases something that is simply amazing.

I just built my system over the last couple months as well. Sold my core 2 duo system with a 5770 and built my current rig. Bought a used 560 Ti on craigslist for $120 to hold me over until the next gen comes out. Then got the bright idea to just get a 7950 so I sold the 560 Ti on Ebay for a net $10 loss. Then I realized I was just being impatient and foolish so I bought a used 5870 off craigslist for $80. So I guess ultimately I only spent $90 on a video card to hold me over instead of $120 at least. It's just so darn hard waiting for the NVidias to come out :bounce:  :non:  :cry: 

Edit: Darn sig. stopped appling itself again... here's my system:

MB: ASrock Z77 Extreme4 / CPU: i5-3570K / 212 EVO push-pull fans / RAM: G-skill Ripjaws 12gb 1600 / Graphics: Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X OC/ SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb / PSU: Corsair TX750 / CASE: Antec 900 USB 3.0 / Monitor: Acer GD235hz 120hz
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 5:41:54 PM

ibjeepr said:
I just built my system over the last couple months as well. Sold my core 2 duo system with a 5770 and built my current rig. Bought a used 560 Ti on craigslist for $120 to hold me over until the next gen comes out. Then got the bright idea to just get a 7950 now so I sold the 560 Ti on Ebay for a net $10 loss. Then I realized I was just being impatient and foolish so I bought a used 5870 off craigslist for $80. So I guess ultimately I only spent $90 on a video card to hold me over instead of $120 at least. It's just so darn hard waiting for the NVidias to come out :bounce:  :non:  :cry: 

Yea that wouldnt be smart to buy a card now just to sell it to get a new gen gpu..Waiting is a pain tho
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 8:20:44 PM

all expecting so much from nvidia...lets just not make things so hard for nvidia.
expecting too much results in disappointment most of the time.

another matter that just came up my mind...with ddr4 due to be released this year itself...should we expect a dramatic change in gaming?
just out of my curiosity.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 8:29:32 PM

From DDR4, probably not. That's just based on benchmarking of low latency memory, high clock speed memory and triple/quad channel chipset performance. Dual-channel DDR3 1600 seems to be delivering all the performance CPUs need at the moment. As for expecting too much from nVidia, we'll just have to wait and see!

I think a lot of it may be based on the fact that GTX680, though very impressive, was clearly not anywhere near as powerful as it had the potential to be. Of course fulfilling that potential would mean higher temps (so more fan noise) and power consumption, so we got a nice best-of-all-worlds. Maybe GTX780 will be a little hotter and a lot faster. We'll just have to wait and see :-)
January 10, 2013 8:38:21 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
all expecting so much from nvidia...lets just not make things so hard for nvidia.
expecting too much results in disappointment most of the time.

another matter that just came up my mind...with ddr4 due to be released this year itself...should we expect a dramatic change in gaming?
just out of my curiosity.

It isn't really a matter of expecting anything from Nvidia so much as just wanting to see what the video card landscape is going to look like once both AMD and Nvidia have their next cards out. I'll be buying something for sure, just want to see what all the options are going to be.

I've heard nothing about DDR4 other than it's coming.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 8:53:46 PM

I believe intel said DDR4 will be first available for Haswell-E
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 8:59:35 PM

It's not that I'm putting all the pressure on Nvidia, it's the fact that out of the two, they release last. So we'll see what AMD brings to the table with the new Radeons in the next two months (crosses fingers) but we'll have to wait a little longer for Nvidia to release theirs.

By that time we'll have a very good understanding of what AMD offers and hopefully more through driver updates. It's up to Nvidia, being the last dog to chow, so to speak, to dazzle us.

Edit: As far as DDR4 goes, release date, as of today was Q4 2013.

Here's the video CES 2013 DDR4
!