Sign in with
Your question

My sony PSP has found my router but it says the security is not supported

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 8, 2012 11:57:46 PM

hello my name is rachel and im trying to get my sons sony PSP to connect to my wireless router and it found me and the signal strength is 100% but under security it says its not supported and im tired of having these problems with netgear i ony had it for 2 weeks there is no way i should have to pay 100 dollars or more or anything at all just to get my sons psp to pick up on my router i got told like 3 times that it should log right now i dont have to pay anything now i get told i do i dont know but i need help i called more than 5 times and nothing is resolved
a b 8 Security
February 9, 2012 7:21:48 PM

It seems that PSPs have a lot of problems using wifi. You might need to update the firmware in the PSP.
m
l
October 28, 2012 3:51:56 AM

so how do you update the firmware?
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
October 28, 2012 6:08:12 AM

Someof the earlier PSPs are unable to recognise the higher level of security in wireless networks - the WPA and particularly WPA2 levels.

I hesitate to suggest you lower your security level but wi-fi hacking is far less prevalent now than it was - now that most households have wireless, fewer people try to steal bandwidth than they once did.

Use teh details in our Sticky post on changing wireless security to scale down a level and see if the PSP can recognise it and join the network. Try not to go all the way down to WEP if possible. Here's a link to that Sticky:-
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/38111-18-find-chang...

m
l
October 28, 2012 10:29:55 PM

im having the same issue my brother is a computer tech. he told me the newer routers are not compatable. he says i can get a receiviver that rerouts the signal in the right language for about $50. im waiting on a reply from sony wether or not this is the case. you should contact sony support 1 800 345 7669 to find out though unfortunatly i have not found there reps to be pros at any thing other than answering phones witch is why im dealing with them via e mail..
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:09:02 PM

according to sonys reply it is the issue with having a compatable router you will have to get a router that is compatable wether it is a whole new router or a reley router that converts the signal. i hate techonology it ticks me off i can go get my gi joes and they work just as good today as yesterday.
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:14:13 PM

or try turning your security off witch i dont really recomend.
m
l
a b 8 Security
October 29, 2012 10:48:24 PM

I believe the PSP supports WEP , WPA, but not WPA2 security.
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:11:27 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I believe the PSP supports WEP , WPA, but not WPA2 security.

Unfortunately, the only way to access the Internet on the PSP® is to connect to a router with a 802.11b connection. Wireless N and G routers will not work unless they can also output a B signal, and you cannot branch Internet connection from the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) to a PSP®. I do apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.
m
l
a b 8 Security
October 30, 2012 12:22:27 AM

Wireless Settings

Once your inside the router and viewing your settings, navigate to the wireless tab.

Confirm that the router's wireless is enabled.

Make note of the SSID incase it's hidden (you will need to enter it into the PSP if so).

You need to change the wireless mode of your router to "Mixed Mode, G/B" .

-The PSP uses the "B" protocol, if your wireless router is set to "G-Only" it will not accept the PSP since it does not use the "G" protocol. (Some routers' G-Only mode is backwards compatible with B)

Navigate to the wireless security tab, check to see which type the router has enabled, if none is enabled then continue on, if you would like to enable security I cover this process below in Advanced Setup. If security is enabled, you need to locate the key, there should be either a drop down menu, or little circle which is selected telling your which key is being used as well as the bit type, you will also find which type of security, WEP or WPA is being used. Make note of the key being used (if any) and continue on to the next step.

PSP Settings

Turn on your PSP, navigate to Settings and scroll down to Network Settings, enter, select Iinfrastructure mode and then new connection.

Select scan, select your WAP (Wireless Access Point), enter in the SSID if blank/hidden.

Choose the correct type of security if any and insert the key if required to do so.

Select Easy for address settings, name your connection, e.g... Home.

Save your settings and continue with the connection test, good job, you're done!

But it failed with the test, what did I do wrong? Unplug your wireless router (power), wait three minutes, plug back in, review the above instructions and start from scratch.

playstation.com ^

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PSP-Networking/P...

More info here ^ :D  :D  :D 

http://www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-Your-PSP-Firmware

Updating firmware ^
m
l
a b 8 Security
October 30, 2012 5:35:28 AM

good job, you're done!

A fine fix but is there not a cost in connectivity and speeds for all the other systems in the same network, A51?

m
l
November 23, 2013 10:03:03 PM

admin_34 said:
hello my name is rachel and im trying to get my sons sony PSP to connect to my wireless router and it found me and the signal strength is 100% but under security it says its not supported and im tired of having these problems with netgear i ony had it for 2 weeks there is no way i should have to pay 100 dollars or more or anything at all just to get my sons psp to pick up on my router i got told like 3 times that it should log right now i dont have to pay anything now i get told i do i dont know but i need help i called more than 5 times and nothing is resolved

m
l
November 27, 2013 10:44:17 AM

admin_34 said:

m
l
November 27, 2013 10:46:31 AM

admin_34 said:

m
l
March 23, 2014 12:08:00 AM

tylerlittle92 said:
so how do you update the firmware?

It's not the firmware, it's the format that you modem is set to. When the PSP was made, there were only three type of modem formats. Now there are five and that's why the psp won't support the wifi connection. It's can be fixed by setting ur madam format to WEP so it will be easier for you.
m
l
!