Sign in with
Your question

Would these parts bottleneck a gtx 670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 3:34:52 PM

Hello,

I am gonna upgrade my pc with a gtx 670 and i know my current cpu will bottleneck my new gpu.

The cpu is a amd athlon tripple core clocked at 3,2ghz
I know it will bottleneck the gpu but i will list some games and at what settings i want to run them.

My motherboard is a Biostar n68s3b. It has a pci-e x16 gen 1 slot for the gpu. Will this bottleneck the gpu because it's recommended to use a gen 3 slot.

So here are the games i want to run.

Far cry 3 at the highest textures with like 4x anti aliasing.
Skyrim maxed except anti aliasing.
Gta 4 maxed, except anti aliasing.
GTA 5 when it comes out at high settings or around that area.
Minecraft with the shaders mod with a framerate of above 30fps.

So can i run these games with those settings on my rig? (When upgraded with a gtx 670)

Thanks in advance!

P.S I am gonna upgrade the cpu with an i5 3570k a few months later.
January 9, 2013 3:43:39 PM

A PCI-e 1.0 x16 will not bottleneck a GTX 670 very much - maybe just a couple %. However, your CPU is going to bottleneck like crazy in almost all games.

Since you're going to upgrade to a 3570k in a few months, you could go ahead and get the 670, just be prepared that you'll need that 3570k to get the most out of it (and a mobo for the 3570k is going to have a PCI-e 3.0 slot most likely anyways).
January 9, 2013 3:48:13 PM

BigMack70 said:
A PCI-e 1.0 x16 will not bottleneck a GTX 670 very much - maybe just a couple %. However, your CPU is going to bottleneck like crazy in almost all games.

Since you're going to upgrade to a 3570k in a few months, you could go ahead and get the 670, just be prepared that you'll need that 3570k to get the most out of it (and a mobo for the 3570k is going to have a PCI-e 3.0 slot most likely anyways).

Thanks for your help. Yes i'm gonna get a new mobo with a pci-e 3.0 slot.

But can i run those games at those settings i listed above with the rig?
Related resources
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 3:53:41 PM

Its really tuff to say what settings you can get.but gtx 670 will bottleneck with that cpu.though some games which are not cpu intensive then you may have no problem but cpu will not be future proof. Edit-i mean it will not be future proof.
January 9, 2013 3:54:02 PM

With an Athlon II x3? I doubt it. With a 3570K? Easily.
January 9, 2013 4:11:10 PM

ASHISH65 said:
Its really tuff to say what settings you can get.but gtx 670 will bottleneck with that cpu.though some games which are not cpu intensive then you may have no problem but cpu will be future proof.

Do you know how much of a performance loss i would get with the rig? Or is that really tuff to say too?
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 4:22:31 PM

You can play games at high but tuff to say can it maxout.i would think get gtx 670 and run it and after save up more to get i5.
!