Hi

I have recently tried to reinstall some oldish games (rainbow 6, Total
Annhilation) and when you select install, an error pops up:

16 bit windows subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

Examination of that folder shows that I do not have a file called
Autoexec.nt at all, is this correct? These games have run on this PC before
and the error applies to multiple games suggesting a system problem. Is there
a way of repairing or checking windows to replace this file. I did get a
virus recently however Norton said it quarantined it - this might have
affected windows though prior to this I had noticed no differeance.

Thanks

Hi Templar,

Here's an easy method to solve that error:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"The Templar" <The Templar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7651867B-F6D3-4022-9C16-8B0E7457680B@microsoft.com...
| Hi
|
| I have recently tried to reinstall some oldish games (rainbow 6, Total
| Annhilation) and when you select install, an error pops up:
|
| 16 bit windows subsystem
| C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
| MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
| application.
|
| Examination of that folder shows that I do not have a file called
| Autoexec.nt at all, is this correct? These games have run on this PC before
| and the error applies to multiple games suggesting a system problem. Is there
| a way of repairing or checking windows to replace this file. I did get a
| virus recently however Norton said it quarantined it - this might have
| affected windows though prior to this I had noticed no differeance.
|
| Thanks

The game was designed for 16 bit OS and WinXP is a 32 bit OS. You may do the
following -

1. Follow the method suggested by Jimmy S.

2. If it doesn't work, go to Start > Help and Support > Fixing a problem >
Application and software problems > Getting older programs to run on windows
xp > Start the Program Compatibility Wizard. Follow the instructions in the
wizard.

3. Alternatively, locate the game exe in installation folder where you have
installed it. Right click, go to Properties, change the Compatibility to
older versions of Windows and see which one works.

Happy gaming.