One Final Review of Budget HTPC

tsheley

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I am looking at ordering everything today. This is my first build and want a simple HTPC that will be used purely as a DVR and convert my shows to add them to iTunes. I already have Windows 7 so that is what I will be using. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Mac Mall)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: HD Homerun Dual ($89.99)
Total: $317.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-27 09:18 EST-0500)

Solution
Overall looks like a sensible build.

How about an HDD and/or SSD? I assume you will need at least an HDD if you are going to be doing a lot of recording. SSD would be great for your OS and programs, but maybe unnecessary if it is going to be running 24/7 and you don't anticipate booting up a lot.

The case looks cheap and won't blend in with your theater components, but this is just personal preference. Unfortunately, true HTPC cases run a bit more expensive, so you would have to adjust your budget.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
Overall looks like a sensible build.

How about an HDD and/or SSD? I assume you will need at least an HDD if you are going to be doing a lot of recording. SSD would be great for your OS and programs, but maybe unnecessary if it is going to be running 24/7 and you don't anticipate booting up a lot.

The case looks cheap and won't blend in with your theater components, but this is just personal preference. Unfortunately, true HTPC cases run a bit more expensive, so you would have to adjust your budget.

Solution