Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade Recommendations

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2013 12:49:35 PM

I have the following system. Works perfectly fine but would like to do some simple upgrades for more performance if anyone thinks it might be worth it. I use it mostly for gaming both online and offline. Would appreciate links to recommended hardware. Price is not a huge factor.

-LG Black 8X Blu-ray Burner SATA WH08LS20

-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

-OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK

-SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video ...

-Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active ...

-Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

-SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2013 1:03:00 PM

If you're looking to upgrade your CPU, I'd almost wait until the next generation architecture comes out. I went from X58 to X79 and really didn't realize too much of a performance difference other than in synthetic benchmarks.

Your foundation is solid. X58 is still a valid gaming platform even today.

For gaming, you could pick up a GTX 670 or two to get a big graphics boost:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I had 3 5850s in crossfire myself. Upgrading to 580s and then 680s was a huge jump in performance for me on the X58. I got my 680s before the 670s came out. The 670s are over $100 less, but offer darned near the same performance.

Another thing you might like - of which I'm a big fan now - is a 3-monitor setup. You will need two 670s for this though.

I really don't think you'll see a big difference in gaming, though, upgrading your platform at this time. The GPU upgrade will give you a tremendous performance bump.
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:09:32 PM

Thank-you! Any thoughts on getting an SSD drive? It seems like that is a bottleneck of my system and wondered if some performance gains would be made here.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2013 1:37:16 PM

I do like an SSD for my system drive because the boot time is fast and access to system files is fast. If you haven't used too much of your 2TB disk, it would be an easy transfer from the HDD to the SSD. I like Intel 520 SSD drives for their reliability and speed, but they're expensive compared to some deals on Samsungs these days:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's a 120GB drive with a transfer kit for $130. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of SATA 3.0 speeds since your mobo has SATA 2.0 ports, but you'll be able to use the SATA 2.0 bus speed to it's full potential with a SATA 3.0 drive.

The only thing the SSD will affect while gaming is load times between scenes or speed of map loads (in BF3 multi-player for instance) and things like that. I have my Origin apps on my 80GB SATA 2.0 drive and my system drive is the Intel 520 120GB Sata 3.0. Boot/Shutdown time is minimal. The system is very responsive. I'm among the first to arrive in a map at the beginning of a round of BF3 multi-player. My other games are on my black drive and one of my black drives is used for data only. The separation of disk function is good for performance, although a little excessive.
February 27, 2013 6:59:42 PM

Best answer selected by gdurbin.
m
l
February 27, 2013 7:02:17 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts. Wish I knew more on the splitting of apps on separate drives but I only know enough to get myself into trouble. I think I will start with the SSD and probably get 2 of the GPU. Looking at running the new Sim City and Crysis soon and want to max them out as much as I can.
m
l
February 27, 2013 7:02:18 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts. Wish I knew more on the splitting of apps on separate drives but I only know enough to get myself into trouble. I think I will start with the SSD and probably get 2 of the GPU. Looking at running the new Sim City and Crysis soon and want to max them out as much as I can.
m
l
!