Sign in with
Your question

PC won't turn on after first boot.

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2013 12:51:05 PM

So i just built a new PC, had everything installed and plugged in and turned it on to see if all the fans and so on would work. Everything ran fine so i turned it off. Then i thought i should try eject the optical drive to make sure that worked too but it won't turn back on. Any ideas why this is ?

No monitor or any other external connections other than power cable were connected during the first boot and nothing was changed before trying the second boot.

Asus Z77 sabertooth
Intel I7 3770K 3.5GHz
Nvidia GTX 680
16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB)
240GB SSD
Corsair AX860

More about : turn boot

a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2013 2:02:25 PM

it may be a mb bios glitch. try using the usb flash back and put the newest bios code on the mb by the usb flashback port.
download the 1805 bios and rename is z77st.cap if the mb wont post look at the mb for any fault led. most asus mb wont post if they think there an issue with the cpu fan. you may have to clear the cmos or press mem ok to get the system to post again if it a bios glitch.
February 27, 2013 10:26:21 PM

Thankyou for your reply

Okay so i got the USB flash drive with the correct bios on it, z77st.cap (not easy when the only other computer you have is a MAC that doesn't want to run any windows files) However nothing happens with i press the bios button.

I have reconnected all the wires re-installed the ram / CPU. checked there was no damage to the pins, tried turning it on with only the MB/CPU/RAM connected and nothing has worked.

There is a constant yellow LED on (which is the power standby light) when i connect up the power so i know it's not the PSU and that the MB does recognise is has been give power but nothing else whatso ever will turn on.

The MB also say it has other smaller LEDs that flash when something is not connected or working as intended, Non of these are flashing.
Related resources
February 27, 2013 11:44:31 PM

I held down the Bios button for a few seconds, and it started flashing, whereas before i just pressed it. so thats good but it hasn't made it work.

The i connected a headset to the front USB port and it powered up the headset. It's so annoying i can't think of anything else to try! It clearly has power, everything is connected, nothing is visibly broke and it's already been successfully booted once.

Any ideas ?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2013 2:26:24 AM

the usb flashback port is the bottom usb 2.0 port under the ethernet port it has the white writing on it. if the mb wont post after an bios update try clearing the cmos.
February 28, 2013 7:45:48 AM

Clearing the CMOS worked!, i almost through the little cap away thought because i thought it was just a protective covering. Thank god i didn't.

Thankyou Smorizio you saved my so much stress, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.
!