i installed a game today, and there was no problem at the beginning.
then I paused and took out the disc for a while and downloaded a few
undating files for that game. Now i wanna play the game again, and i put in
the disc, so the disc is already in the drive, but a box comes out and asks
me to put in the disc.
I don't understand, is it the problem of the updating files? if yes, can I
remove those files? Or how can I play that game again?

sorry i didn't mention the name of that game 'coz it's not an english one I
think the name makes no use of solving the problem

Thanks for any replies!

Hi,

"Hosannah" <Hosannah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE89E784-793A-43EA-879A-84B6E0791F96@microsoft.com...
|i installed a game today, and there was no problem at the beginning.
| then I paused and took out the disc for a while and downloaded a few
| undating files for that game. Now i wanna play the game again, and i put in
| the disc, so the disc is already in the drive, but a box comes out and asks
| me to put in the disc.
| I don't understand, is it the problem of the updating files? if yes, can I
| remove those files? Or how can I play that game again?
|
| sorry i didn't mention the name of that game 'coz it's not an english one I
| think the name makes no use of solving the problem
|
| Thanks for any replies!

Here are some other more involved solutions which have worked:

1. Before we begin, please save a restore point for your system.
How to use Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

2. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD error.
- Try the advice and DL at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985
Another trick that I found sometimes works is to make the limited account an
administrator account and run that game once. This should create the registry
settings and permissions for that user to be able to properly run the game.

3. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
- Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from original CD.

4. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD drives.
- Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game. You
might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is incompatible
with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD. (Contact Vendor).

5. Your antivirus or application firewall might be conflicting with it.
- Disable the software temporarily.

6. There might be a patch available for your game to correct the issue.
- Try www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a/ or the game's site.

7. Your desktop may need to be set at least 800x600 and 16 colors.
- Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel / Click Display

8. Your Video, Sound, or Monitor drivers may need updating.
- Try updating your Video drivers using the instructions at:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

9. You might have software running on your system which is causing conflicts.
- Temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time, starting with Firewall,
AV, and ad blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

10. If you created other drive letters on your system by installing another drive,
creating partitions or virtual drives you may need to change the CD back
to the same drive letter it was originally. Usually the CD uses the letter D:
- Click Start / Run / type: diskmgmt.msc < to access the tool to change it.

11. Maybe a Microsoft Security patch is the culprit. The only way to be sure is
to Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows using
this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

After you reboot, try the game again. If it works, save a new restore point.

Lastly, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall, plug back
into your Internet connection and install all Critical and Recommended updates
from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com one at a time. Test the game after
each update to find which is causing the game not to start on your PC. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

TRENDING THREADS